Home U.S. Coin Forum

My first look at Mercury Dimes

PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Tonight I decided to break out some rolls of silver dimes. This little gem appeared as I was getting ready to wrap it up for the night and was easily the oldest yet best of the bunch. I'd appreciate any grade estimates. Would you use dish soap and water on the obverse? TIA

USAF veteran 1984-2005

Comments

• numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2022 7:40PM

Wow! Congrats on the great find. The coin in the photos easily has AU to Unc details, but I cannot tell if the surfaces are original or not. Would retail around $50 (+/-) depending on the surface quality.

But whatever you do, DO NOT CLEAN THAT COIN!

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please don't use dish soap and water on the obverse or reverse.

1919-S is a good date - you have a nice Merc. Grading via photos is difficult - you cannot really see the fields due to the light reflection. There's a large mark on the neck and some gunk above the ear, but I would guess AU53-AU55 if it hasn't been cleaned. Others will likely opine about whether an acetone soak would help the coin - I tend to think it would.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Thanx for the input. I just can't understand how dish soap is more dangerous to a coin than acetone. Having worked with acetone, it seems rather harsh. Maybe it's the smell. I think I'm going w/do not clean. The gunk doesn't look so bad with a loupe.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone is not harsh to silver. Could be harsh to your skin or nose, though!

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PapiNE said:
    Thanx for the input. I just can't understand how dish soap is more dangerous to a coin than acetone. Having worked with acetone, it seems rather harsh. Maybe it's the smell. I think I'm going w/do not clean. The gunk doesn't look so bad with a loupe.

Acetone is just a dip, no scrubbing or rubbing. Dish soap is for cleaning and rubbing the gunk off. Whatever you use to rub has a good, good chance of damaging the coin. No matter how soft the soap, just don't do it, it's not necessary as 99% of collectors like them all original, dirt and grime included.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone will not harm the coin. It will remove organic residues only. Soap and water will require rubbing... and likely leave evidence called 'cleaning' - do NOT do this. Cheers, RickO

• AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 338 ✭✭✭

I'd leave it alone. Maybe a soak in acetone or distilled water would loosen up some gunk so that it could be rinsed off, but you definitely don't want to rub it with anything.

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a AU coin if it has not been cleaned. Numismedia has a price range of $84 to $198 in AU. Very nice find.

Ken

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please no soap, water , mystery dipping solution. Acetone is fine for silver. Evaporation is quick, doesn’t require a rinse with distilled water or anything else. 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU details, scratch on the neck. Still a great album coin. Don't attempt any cleaning.

All glory is fleeting.

Thanks all. I may try restoration service for the first time. Yea I know it's not a diamond but after 3-4 hours and approx 300 coins; they way she poked out from behind two disgusting 23's was memorable. I thought it had to be a 44 or 45. She'll have a special place in the collection.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@PapiNE said:
    Thanks all. I may try restoration service for the first time. Yea I know it's not a diamond but after 3-4 hours and approx 300 coins; they way she poked out from behind two disgusting 23's was memorable. I thought it had to be a 44 or 45. She'll have a special place in the collection.

I would not recommend restoration service at PCGS for that coin. The fees and shipping will exceed the value of the coin. I would personally just leave it as it is. Now you have a neat story to tell and you have a nice coin for your collection.

I would not recommend restoration service at PCGS for that coin. The fees and shipping will exceed the value of the coin. I would personally just leave it as it is. Now you have a neat story to tell and you have a nice coin for your collection.

I cetainly don't disagree. One thing this hobby has exposed in me is a bias towards frosty/shiny vs toning and dirt. Also, I collect so that my future generations will (hopefully) enjoy it. The current value of coin vs shipping/services is not a big concern for me. Potential is more my thing and I think this coin has it. My incredible father left me a large collection that I'm in the process of downsizing yet upgrading. I'm also a fan of slabs vs albums. I've yet to find an album that doesn't have a penchant for dropping its contents one coin at a time. I just don't like the idea of slabbing a gunked coin. I'm trying to come around tho...

USAF veteran 1984-2005

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file