Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

David Hall DHNIG Flips, categorizing those little, pre-slab, sort of slab slabs ...

JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've enjoyed DHNIG Flips ever since I purchased my first one some 10 years ago. I was intrigued by their different sizes, colors and labeling; so in an attempt to provide a common vernacular for those of us who like collecting Flips, I embarked on an attempt to categorize them. I came up with 9 different generations, described in the attached document.

The Census of Flips used in the document is 350+ Flips. While a respectable number, this represents a small sample space overall, and additional data and images may well require the generation definitions to be tweaked. I welcome any and all feedback, corrections, suggestions, recollections, and/or additional images of Flips not in the Census. Images of DHNIG Invoices are also helpful.

The work is mine and represents my opinions based on my experience and research. I'm not a writer, nor a numismatic professional; I penned the document simply as an aid to us Flip collectors. Lastly, many thanks to T, D and M for their contributions.

I hope you enjoy the read and find the document useful.

T/JF

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

Comments

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@JeffersonFrog All that I can say is WOW! Really, really, REALLY nice work.

I have cut many of these out over the years, unfortunately. If I run across any more--I am sure that I will--I will contact you. We are right in the heart of David Hall country and, as a dealer, we do get them in occasionally.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Information and personal effort!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive and comprehensive. Thanks for sharing.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a thorough and well written article - congratulations on a phenomenal job!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for an awesome piece of work!! I now know mine is a Gen 4:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see this posted - I've enjoyed seeing it develop and was glad to share my collection with you. It's a great resource for those of us who collect Hall flips. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great article, thanks for sharing!

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

A work of art! Very impressive. Thanks for sharing,

Tim

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffersonFrog

Nice job. And thank you for sharing it. I have one somewhere. It will be nice to
    Know
    What I have

Thanks
    Martin

• Options

The PCGS search function is so weak that, here's a TTT to keep it available!

If you're a fan of DHNIG flips, bookmark it now! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing and Epic!
    An incredible amount of research and time spent on this, the Numismatic world owes you a High Five!

• Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

Wow great job on compiling and presenting the research!

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

You did a Wonderful Job and a lot of research to get this done. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see the link to a prior discussion here: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/196196

Comment #1727043 has a quote from David Hall

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffersonFrog ... What a great piece of work. While not a collector of these items, I find such studies informative, and adds to my bank of knowledge. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2022 7:54AM

It's been a couple of months, so here is my shameless plea for more Flip data. If you have Flips that aren't in the database ( Appendix B ), or if you have DHNIG Invoices, please post them here or send them to me via pm. I know they are out there (see pic below). Thank you!

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2022 9:02PM

Cool stuff. I see mine also is a gen 4 and that it is already in your database. I bought it about 17 years ago if I’m remembering correctly

Mr_Spud

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

Very, very cool. Nice job!

• Options

Posted before, but nice to have in this thread.

• Options

Thanks to BStrauss3 for providing the link to this Hall post in 2003!

• Options
    travlntiquestravlntiques Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

Articles like that not only benefit the people who already DH flips, but create new collectors. I really enjoyed reading it and will be looking for any of these DH flips from now on. Thank you so much for the effort put forth and knowledge you were willing to share!

"Character is doing the right thing when no one is watching". - J.C. Watts
    sarasotanumismatics.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file