Home Sports Talk

Do certain announcers keep you from watching a game?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting comments from Greg Gumbel about sports announcers, he says he doesn't think the big contracts some of these guys are getting are necessary because he feels that an announcer does nothing to bring in viewers, or make viewers want to watch a game they wouldn't have watched anyway.

Greg Gumbel Speaks Out On NFL Announcers.

There’s been a slew of big-name NFL announcers moving to different networks to sign lucrative extensions this offseason. But one announcer – CBS’ Greg Gumbel – isn’t convinced that those big contracts were necessary.

Appearing on the Sports Illustrated Media Podcast, Gumbel said that he’s never felt that an announcer brought extra fans to watch games that they wouldn’t have already watched. He feels that announcers largely cause people to tune out of games, not tune into them.

“What does tickle my thought process is, I’ve never felt in my entire life there is an announcer who can bring someone to the TV set to watch a game that that viewer wasn’t already going to watch. And I believe the only thing a broadcaster can do is chase people away,” Gumbel said.

“I know this for a fact because—I won’t name them—but there are three or four announcers, ‘Oh, I’m really interested in watching, oops, nope, click, gone.’ I truly believe that. I don’t think that someone is tuning in just to hear a particular person call a football game.

NFL fans had a mixed reaction to Gumbel’s assessment though. While some agreed that announcers generally don’t add much to the experience, some feel it does play into which game they choose to watch.

It’s a little unfalsifiable to say that announcers have limited impact on viewership. There really isn’t any way to quantify what makes someone more or less likely to watch games – especially given that nearly all games are regionally locked.

But Greg Gumbel might be onto something when he suggests that an announcer is more likely to make people tune out than turn in. How often do we see people endlessly complaining about particular announcers during games?

Nevertheless, the NFL’s media partners are making money hand over fist right now. Even if announcers don’t add much value to them, they can still try and one-up each other by taking top talents from one another.

What do you think of Greg Gumbel’s statement here?

Comments

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in St. Louis cardinal fans hate Joe Buck.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he's right. I've never tuned in because of the announcer. But I have tuned out.

Bill Walton is one such guy for me. He's the worst announcer in any sport.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cris Collinsworth and his constant praises of Aaron Rodgers gets on my nerves, although lately he has shifted his praises to other quarterbacks.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2022 3:06PM

Yes,,.....if it is a meaningless game, Jags vs. Jets? , and Al Michaels is the announcer?, ....YES!......Otherwise, I watch games that he announces and I turn the volume down way low.......REASON?.....I can't take it when he says, "Quat da buell."...... translation.... Caught the ball.

But, then again, my favorite is Troy Aikman....I understand West Covina/Oklahoma ......music to the ears!......To Each His Own.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Heard Aqib Talib announce a Vikings game this year - he was TERRIBLE!

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep telling nessler to kick gary in the balls with his anti UGA crap in the fall. that mouth runs a lot

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

None from watching a game. That is what the mute button is for.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not now, but many years ago, Johnny Most, who was the announcer for the Boston Celtics, was truly offensive if you were not a Celtic fan. You would expect the local guy to know more about the local team and to color his commentary in favor of them. Most attacked the players on the opposing team and made comments that would be termed offensive today.

Most was a reflection of the Celtic coach and later General Manager, Red Auerbach, who was “the poorest sport” I have ever seen in professional sports. Both of these gentlemen died many years ago.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what the volume button in for. About 25% of games I watch are in silence

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t really care one way or another about the announcers, they all aggravate me at one time or another, but never enough for me to not watch the game.

Basically not once ever have I checked to see who was announcing the game before tuning in, they are irrelevant for the most part. Some suck while some are entertaining

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I leave the sound off when watching games on TV. So no.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marlins color man Todd Hollandsworth. Thank goodness for the mute button!

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's impossible to listen to Steve Lyons, a bush league utility player who's nickname is Psycho.
    He constantly says "right there", it's worse than the Pillow guy selling his pillows and slippers.

I rarely watch pre season baseball, but unfortunately he's broadcasted several Red Sox games in the past during regualr season. This is a guy with a serious ego problem and lacks the basic skills of announcing a pee wee league game. MUTE!!

That is all.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    I keep telling nessler to kick gary in the balls with his anti UGA crap in the fall. that mouth runs a lot

Gary Danielson should've been fired years ago. He used to be decent but now is horrible. AND he laughs at people getting injured. He's scum.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2022 2:37PM

@BillJones said:
    Not now, but many years ago, Johnny Most, who was the announcer for the Boston Celtics, was truly offensive if you were not a Celtic fan. You would expect the local guy to know more about the local team and to color his commentary in favor of them. Most attacked the players on the opposing team and made comments that would be termed offensive today.

Most was a reflection of the Celtic coach and later General Manager, Red Auerbach, who was “the poorest sport” I have ever seen in professional sports. Both of these gentlemen died many years ago.

Most is a Celtics legends. https://youtu.be/Yu8Da3pe9h0

Edited to add:of course, so is Red.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

The main ones I just couldn’t stand were Jon Miller and Joe Morgan. And of course anything A Rod is associated with.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

No... while I have no control over the networks and who is assigned what games, I control the volume and mute buttons on my remote. I have leverage that serves its purpose.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.