Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1942 Wheat Penny

What could have caused this type of damage to Lincolns face?

Mint or post-mint?

Regards,
Christina

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BETHEAC08... Welcome aboard Christina. That appears to be post mint damage... As to what caused it, well, it could be many things... Lost in a parking lot and driven over, stepped on... Forced between to hard surfaces for some reason.... It appears to be Post Mint Damage (PMD). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @BETHEAC08... Welcome aboard Christina. That appears to be post mint damage... As to what caused it, well, it could be many things... Lost in a parking lot and driven over, stepped on... Forced between to hard surfaces for some reason.... It appears to be Post Mint Damage (PMD). Cheers, RickO

It’s a bit he’s too be sure from the photos, but I’d lean towards lamination and not PMD on this one. If it were a gouge PMD would make sense, but that break looks more like a shelf, possibly with some peeled metal.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut .... I did consider lamination...but looking at the gouge, I felt that the upper portion became folded over the damage in post damage handling... The prominent gouge was the tipping point in my decision. You may be correct Jeremy, just the way I see it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the lamination camp.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file