Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gunk in the crevices

ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about some nice, for the most part original surfaces with gunk in the crevices… sorry, waiting for the weekend. Post what you’ve got

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

An acetone soak will probably remove that gunk... will not harm the coin. Of course, you lose the slab - or, you could send it in for restoration. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cue the rose thorn :o

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love-hate relationship with crevice gunk here. I usually prefer to leave it in place, as it really brings out the definition of a worn coin and gives a wholesome look. What I don't like is when I'm trying to see repunched mint marks and dates or other die markers and the gunk hides it. Out comes the rose thorn or cactus spine. Lumps of gunk on the rims, fields, or high points of the devices I always try to remove.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a bit more:

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

The reverse on the eagle wing has a noticeable spot.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Gunk in the devices (within reason) is not a big deal to me and attests to the coin's originality and not having been messed with.

As true as that is, the gunk probably keeps more coins out of holders, than gets them in.
    But I agree.

• Options

Nice gunk folks!

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see these circulated Morgans or other classic silver coins with that original look with dirt and grime I always think about who may have handled in the day, some rancher, miner, farmer, laborer building the railroads, or some cattle-hand driving cattle to the slaughter houses in Kansas. These folks out west may not have bathed in days or even weeks.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah. I like my old coins to have a little "gunk in the trunk" if you know what I mean.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins live a very hard life. This was especially true in the early years. At one time, the 1880's if I recall correctly, the Treasury department used to give a light acid washing to circulated, filthy, Shield Nickels and then return them to circulation. Think of how many times those nickels were used to buy a beer in some dimly lit saloon near, say, the Chicago Stock Yards.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

Here’s some old crust on a 1755 8 Reales Cob from Potosi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file