Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG x 6 - Commemorative Edition

lermishlermish Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me start with a couple of disclosures. I just mailed these off to our hosts for grading today so I won't have grades for...some time. Also, I freely acknowledge I have neither the knowledge nor the patience to make a good grader.

Typically I only buy raw modern bullion and anything more interesting I buy slabbed. However, I am working on the 50 piece commemorative set, all in MS65 and, at initial glance, these seemed like they might fit. I paid (roughly) MS63 prices. So, worst case scenario they're all Details and I lose a few hundred dollars. Best case, one of them is special, and I turn a nice profit that pays for the missing Hawaii & Lafayette. I've tried to not get too excited because my grading skillset is worse than poor but I do think(hope) I have a couple of winners here.

I did the best I could taking pictures with my phone. Curious to hear the thoughts of my betters!

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the photos, all those look to be in the 63 shot-64 range, unless the photos are hiding some hairlines.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't guess the grades, but I particularly like the Columbian Expo Half. That type is not only one of my favorite commems, but one of my favorite US coins of any type.

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think youve got an MS63 at the top grade with a few AUs and at least one Details in there too.
    Trying to pick up GEM coins that just by some chance were never slabbed over the past 35 years is a very tricky proposition.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2022 5:55AM

@CommemDude said:
    Trying to pick up GEM coins that just by some chance were never slabbed over the past 35 years is a very tricky proposition.

Totally agreed - it was a gamble from the outset. But there is a good reason they weren't slabbed (see below). I got what I hoped/guessed was the best available. Hawaii of course was long gone by the time I got there (although the little note next to it in pencil as to the purchase date & price makes me smile)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish .... Nice commemoratives. I am concerned about the 'green' residues on the obverse and reverse of the California Jubilee coin... If it is PVC, it will be a problem. Good luck on your submission. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @lermish .... Nice commemoratives. I am concerned about the 'green' residues on the obverse and reverse of the California Jubilee coin... If it is PVC, it will be a problem. Good luck on your submission. Cheers, RickO

Thanks! That is a trick of the lighting...in the pictures it looks emerald green. In hand it is light toning.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish.... Thanks for the response... Glad to hear that... Never saw that phenomena before. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missouri 65
    Hudson Bay 62
    Alabama 65
    California 64
    Columbian 64
    Huguenot 64

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not trying to be harsh, but out of that board I would have paid ms63 money for the sesqui and hawaii, the rest of the coins appear to have been cleaned and dipped, they should not look like that if they were presumably in that board for many years. I made all these mistakes and more as a young collector, it was "tuition" as they say.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some years ago I picked up a few of the commems in this group, the Pan-pac graded 64+:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file