Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sacagawea Experimental Rinse- How is it authenticated

OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have one, just curious as to how the TPGs determine if a 2001 Sacky was subject to the experimental rinse mint process. Was it:

• Visual? Is there a color difference? Is there a physical appearance that can be traced to die finish?
  • Chemical? Is there a residue that can be determined by something like GC or chemical reaction that can be picked up by XRF or SEM/EDS?
  • Provenance? If I recall correctly, Mike Byers sold some/many of the early examples 20 years ago. Were these certified by Larry Briggs and SEGS?

I wasn't able to find anything in the archives, but that doesn't mean something isn't there. Thanks

Member of the ANA since 1982

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all seems a bit fishy to me so I'll be interested to hear the answers.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg Gave me/us some tips here in a thread somewhere. I also spoke to him very briefly about that when I was going through some 2000 P Sacagawea rolls.

One comment I remember from Fred was that those coins have a very distinctive green tint.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2022 8:29AM

Good memory.

Coin World published this discovery in an article 20 years ago.

Segs certified them first.

Then a year later, PCGS. Then others followed.

Here is the link from my archive:

https://mikebyers.com/exprinse.html

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one in a Global slab. The color is definitely unique, Darker, matte or satin finish. IMO. Don't know about die markers. But I'd like to know. I'll dig it out. Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    I have one in a Global slab. The color is definitely unique, Darker, matte or satin finish. IMO. Don't know about die markers. But I'd like to know. I'll dig it out. Roy

Does yours have any green hue to it?

Experimental rinse page
    http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/add002.html

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I have seen a couple of these in change from machines.... Was not interested in them, but they had the greenish discoloration and stood out from others. Also, they were 2001P coins.... Might have just been tarnished in some way, but I did think of those coins at the time. Not interested in saving them... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t recall saying that they have a green tint, but they will have a very distinct dark bronze luster - the smooth edge should show it much lighter, as some of it was removed when the coin was ejected from the collar after striking. Once you’ve seen a few of them they’re easy to identify – there are many similar looking coins with similar colors, but they are totally flat without luster - those are environmentally damaged.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    I don’t recall saying that they have a green tint, but they will have a very distinct dark bronze luster - the smooth edge should show it much lighter, as some of it was removed when the coin was ejected from the collar after striking. Once you’ve seen a few of them they’re easy to identify – there are many similar looking coins with similar colors, but they are totally flat without luster - those are environmentally damaged.

Thank you for the re-cap. Not sure where I'm remembering a green hue comment from...thanks for clarifying!
    ...Memory is the 2nd thing to go :blush:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2022 7:21AM

Here's a thread with good discussion on these.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1049497/experimental-rinse-dollars-what-was-the-verdict

I'll also link this thread here so they can be found.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found it! Global holder says MS68. It is definitely a darker warm bronze color with a satin finish. Any way to tell when it was slabbed at Global? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file