Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Were proof 1982-S Lincolns struck on bronze or zinc planchets?

seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to determine which planchets were used in production of the 1982 proof Lincoln cents, and I am finding conflicting information. PCGS has them listed with the copper coins (1959-1982), while the entry on NGC says they were struck on copper-plated zinc planchets.

I do have a reason for asking, which I will share when the coin arrives. The coin I purchased is in an NGC holder without the weight listed on the insert.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

All were bronze.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2022 9:45AM

All proofs were bronze.
    Edit to add...Oops! someone else already covered this.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:
    All were bronze.

We should probably break them all out and weigh them to be sure...

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were proof 1982-S Lincolns struck on bronze or zinc planchets?

Yes. :D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weigh the coin in question.... 3.11 vs 2.5..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Weigh the coin in question.... 3.11 vs 2.5..... Cheers, RickO

Hard to weigh it in it's current home:

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it might come up a little light anyway... ;)

Nice error.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

That must be one of the smallest clips in existence.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

You could crack it out, of course, but there should be some noncontact / noninvasive methods - such as those based on ac magnetic fields - to infer if the coin has a zinc core. For example, maybe a metal detector could be used to do an A/B test with this cent and other slabbed cents of known composition?

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

...Or you could just weigh coin and slab together and deduct the weight of the slab.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Can you show us an angular close-up photo of the clipped area? On a copper-plated zinc planchet, you would see a touch of white material on any breached surface. The plating is thin. Your clipped planchet example looks like a bronze.

However, it is my understanding that all of the 82 proof Lincolns were struck on bronze planchets.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

The zinc core is not visible on any genuine clipped planchet, as the copper plating process took place after the planchets were punched. The inside of the clipped edge will be copper on any genuine error.

@seanq that makes perfect sense now that I think about it. But aren't the planchets polished for proof cents? In the subsequent years of copper-plated zinc cents (1983 onwards), how does the mint obtain the mirrored finish on the blanks? I know that the proof dies are polished, but I have always understood that the proof planchets were also specially prepared.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC, the 1982-S Proofs were 95% copper and there was some talk about continuing the 95% copper composition for the Proofs indefinitely after that, but it did not happen.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

CoinFacts shows the 82S Proofs as being 95% copper and 5% zinc. So, is that correct or not?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file