Home U.S. Coin Forum

any good civil war sesquicentennial items floating around out there?

LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe i wasn't paying attention but it seems it would have garnered enough fanfare to at least have hit my radar enough to stick in my mind.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Comments

  • MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

    I'm not aware of any federal issues commemorating the sesquicentennial. I was always puzzled why there weren't more commemorations; perhaps our leaders were too focused on fundamentally transforming the country? ;)

  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MrScience said:
    I'm not aware of any federal issues commemorating the sesquicentennial. I was always puzzled why there weren't more commemorations; perhaps our leaders were too focused on fundamentally transforming the country? ;)

    .
    perhaps they got it all out of their system at the centennial?
    .
    seems odd. this country just loves wars (to be fair, it does seem the way of earth), war heroes, militaries, etc. so to NOT commemorate at least our top 3 wars, every 50, 100, 150, 200 etc is odd.

    doing the national parks, women etc is pretty nice too. perhaps the wars lost out to more positive motifs.

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2022 10:38PM

    Not trying to insult anyone, but y'all know the U.S. civil war sesquicentennial was 2011 - 2015, right?

    Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @LanceNewmanOCC said:
    this country just loves wars

    I don't believe this for one second.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    @LanceNewmanOCC said:
    this country just loves wars

    I don't believe this for one second.

    maybe a more specific wording of government/politicians then in lieu of the overall country since we have had a decent amount of anti-war protests (just like russia right now). no way we can be in like what, a dozen since 1776 (or more) directly or indirectly and not say we have at the very least, a penchant for it.

    my comment was probably prompted from a wonderfully done (presentation/thoroughness) video about the amount of estimated deaths surrounding various wars (it was devastating to see it compiled like that), just amongst what were designated superpowers (either now or for their time) or a similar word and we sure were in the middle/outskirt of a lot of them, even if we didn't take as many deaths proportionally as our adversaries/allies.

    i am sure we could go into the meat and potatoes of it all with how overlapping each countries interests are and getting (sucked/forced) in one way or another so loved may be a little on the nose but for my part no need, we all have our perceptions of such things i do support the differences of perception/opinions. :) appreciate you sharing yours.

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A couple of points.

    First, the "war monuments" almost always celebrate the people who fought them, not the fact that the war occurred. They also celebrate the wartime leaders who helped to bring about the victories.

    Second, it would be great if the world's leaders could find ways to settle their differences with something other than violence, but that seems to go against the nature of those in charge.

    When the Soviet Union fell 30 years ago, I thought that relations among nations were going to be more reasonable Then the Islamic terrorists came on the scene.

    When Hitler and Japan were defeated, some may have thought that we would not make the same mistakes again. But now we have Putin, the new Hitler and Stalin, and other bad actors in the Mid and Far East. I don't think that the U.S. is the problem, but I'm sure that many will disagree with me.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

    So, a few years ago I went thru my collection to catalog what I had and what I planned to send in for grading. I found these (literally like finding treasure, forgot I bought them) 1995 Civil War commems. Thats an odd year to produce these, no? Off by a few years for an "anniversary" (130 years?). Anybody know why they were produced that year?
    They came with a pretty neat "photo case", sorta like what the soldiers had on them with pix of their family.

  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stawick said:
    So, a few years ago I went thru my collection to catalog what I had and what I planned to send in for grading. I found these (literally like finding treasure, forgot I bought them) 1995 Civil War commems. Thats an odd year to produce these, no? Off by a few years for an "anniversary" (130 years?). Anybody know why they were produced that year?
    They came with a pretty neat "photo case", sorta like what the soldiers had on them with pix of their family.

    fine additions to your collection and this thread, so thanks. :+1: (surely that will draw some commentary/more images out of the woodwork. (unless i missed a big thread(s) on this subject already?

    that is VERY odd, they would produce these right in the middle of the centennial and sesqui. 1965 and 2015 respectively.

    idk, do anniversaries like these celebrate the first year or the last? i presume last since than means whatever it is ended.

    do those just fall into the modern commem program? obviously still legal tender too.

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

    @LanceNewmanOCC said:

    @stawick said:
    So, a few years ago I went thru my collection to catalog what I had and what I planned to send in for grading. I found these (literally like finding treasure, forgot I bought them) 1995 Civil War commems. Thats an odd year to produce these, no? Off by a few years for an "anniversary" (130 years?). Anybody know why they were produced that year?
    They came with a pretty neat "photo case", sorta like what the soldiers had on them with pix of their family.

    fine additions to your collection and this thread, so thanks. :+1: (surely that will draw some commentary/more images out of the woodwork. (unless i missed a big thread(s) on this subject already?

    that is VERY odd, they would produce these right in the middle of the centennial and sesqui. 1965 and 2015 respectively.

    idk, do anniversaries like these celebrate the first year or the last? i presume last since than means whatever it is ended.

    do those just fall into the modern commem program? obviously still legal tender too.

    Found this (via google) from the mint site, from any of the coin links ...
    https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/commemorative-coins/civil-war-battlefield-gold
    https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/commemorative-coins/civil-war-battlefield
    https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/commemorative-coins/civil-war-battlefield-half

    Looks like it was to honor the battlefield preservation.

    Background

    Released on March 31, 1995, this coin was authorized in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the protection of Civil War battlefields.

  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    They came with a pretty neat "photo case", sorta like what the soldiers had on them with pix of their family.

    Yes the photo case was neat. I took a while, but I spotted an example of original, 130 year old photo case.

    Here is a 1995 case

    And here is one from the mid 1800s.

    The inside of the mid 1800s case.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2022 11:51AM

    @stawick said:

    ...Looks like it was to honor the battlefield preservation...

    .
    I'm guessing a portion of the sales price for those 1995 commems was donated -- maybe to this organization:

    "The American Battlefield Trust is a charitable organization whose primary focus is in the preservation of battlefields of the American Civil War, the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 through acquisition of battlefield land."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Battlefield_Trust

    Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file