Home Sports Talk
Options

Bobby Witt, Jr.

DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

My pick for AL rookie of the year.
He better be the Royals starting third baseman this year or I may not be a fan of the Royals anymore.
Countdouglas tell me its a done deal and that he's going to start at third this year! Please I can't stand the suspense. :s

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    He better be the Royals starting third baseman this year or I may not be a fan of the Royals anymore.
    Countdouglas tell me its a done deal and that he's going to start at third this year! Please I can't stand the suspense. :s

There are 5 bobblehead giveaways on this years promotional schedule. Salvy (of course), Benintedi and Michael A. for their gold gloves, and Lopez, I guess for his slick fielding, low strikeout rate, and obscene BABIP. The 5th bobblehead giveaway is currently noted as "Mystery Player Bobblehead". Now, if you're familiar with production lead times on these and the potential supply chain issues from China, decisions have to be made well in advance. There is no "mystery" here. They know who the player is. That player is not yet on the 25 (26? 28?) man roster, nor yet a member of the MLBPA, so they just can't yet reveal who that player is. It doesn't take much extrapolation to determine that they have intended for Witt to be on the team from the get-go.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Buddy Biancalana ;)

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freddie Patek.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2022 3:51PM

So in a twisted bit of irony I just read an article citing that Witt Jr's swing is identical to that of Mike Trout.

Baseball’s top rookie has a home run swing that looks identical to Mike Trout’s.
    On Tuesday in Arizona, Bobby Witt Jr. hit a home run in the Kansas City Royals spring training game. This is normal, in some ways — he crushed 33 across two levels in the minors last season. It’s also unfathomably exciting in that he’s the best prospect in baseball, likely to reach the majors early in 2022.

This home run didn’t inspire the normal top prospect hype, though. It inspired double takes.

That, many fans thought, is Mike Trout’s swing. Upright stance, minimal movement except for a powerful twist of the torso, a subtle lurch with the back foot that springs into a step toward first base. And the follow-through, that’s the signature. Like Trout, Witt kept two hands locked on the bat. It waves up only to his shoulder and then recoils back to his waist almost instantly.

Side-by-side comparisons of Witt’s swing and Trout’s quickly started appearing on Twitter.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@countdouglas said:

@Darin said:

There are 5 bobblehead giveaways on this years promotional schedule. Salvy (of course), Benintedi and Michael A. for their gold gloves, and Lopez, I guess for his slick fielding, low strikeout rate, and obscene BABIP. The 5th bobblehead giveaway is currently noted as "Mystery Player Bobblehead". Now, if you're familiar with production lead times on these and the potential supply chain issues from China, decisions have to be made well in advance. There is no "mystery" here. They know who the player is. That player is not yet on the 25 (26? 28?) man roster, nor yet a member of the MLBPA, so they just can't yet reveal who that player is. It doesn't take much extrapolation to determine that they have intended for Witt to be on the team from the get-go.

Great detective work Count! :p

Now please tell me Carlos Santana and his OPS+ of 79 isn't going to be the starting first basemen
    again and you will make my day!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    So in a twisted bit of irony I just read an article citing that Witt Jr's swing is identical to that of Mike Trout.

Baseball’s top rookie has a home run swing that looks identical to Mike Trout’s.
    On Tuesday in Arizona, Bobby Witt Jr. hit a home run in the Kansas City Royals spring training game. This is normal, in some ways — he crushed 33 across two levels in the minors last season. It’s also unfathomably exciting in that he’s the best prospect in baseball, likely to reach the majors early in 2022.

This home run didn’t inspire the normal top prospect hype, though. It inspired double takes.

That, many fans thought, is Mike Trout’s swing. Upright stance, minimal movement except for a powerful twist of the torso, a subtle lurch with the back foot that springs into a step toward first base. And the follow-through, that’s the signature. Like Trout, Witt kept two hands locked on the bat. It waves up only to his shoulder and then recoils back to his waist almost instantly.

Side-by-side comparisons of Witt’s swing and Trout’s quickly started appearing on Twitter.

m

Mark, interesting! I saw that blast he hit Tuesday, it was impressive.
    Didn't know his swing was similar to Trouts', hopefully he won't be as injury prone.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

So far so good. One game played, one game winning RBI for Bobby Witt, jr.

I wonder what the fat, non productive guy was doing playing first base?
    So we don't have any young guy that can replace a .214 hitting, OPS+ 79 non productive first basemen?
    This is ridiculous! Trot out a 68 year old George Brett and he would have a better year than Carlos Santana.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

With identical swings, the real irony is that if only Trout would actually swing, he, too, could someday hope to be as successful in the clutch as Bobby Witt, Jr.

• Options

Two identical swings. One player is a poser that hasn't done anything of consequence in his career. The other player has a dad named Bobby Witt.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@countdouglas said:

@Darin said:

Great detective work Count! :p

I agree, great work!

• Options

Game winning hit.

L

O

L

😂

Nice to see that after the long layoff and subsequent rehab, Trout is already back in midseason form. The Mike Trout specialty, the at bat where he never even takes the stick off of his shoulder. Every single pitcher of major league talent knows Trout can't catch up to a ball up in the zone. Easy out.

The 2 players may "have the same swing", but only one is able to use it.

• Options

Witt is clutch AF in the field, too.