Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your best cherrypick of the year so far

VetterVetter Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 23, 2022 5:43AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Almost 4 months into the year and I’d love to see your best cherrypicks so far. What did you find?

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 7:29PM

Not much so far, but I did pick a VG8 55/54 in a "normal date" ICG holder.

(Edited to correct "IGC" to "ICG" after reading someone refer to ICG as "I Can't Grade". It's easy for me to remember their initials now so I won't make that mistake again.)

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    TRTR Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

That 1855/54 is a big score as it looks nice for the grade.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am working on Cherry-picking the greatest career ever, meanwhile I found a few A coins, a few DDO, RPM, and one Bugs Bunny clash.
    MS66FS 1943 P Jefferson

• Options

@TR said:
    That 1855/54 is a big score as it looks nice for the grade.

Unfortunately, it isn't very nice for the grade, IMO. It has corrosion and pitting, hairlines, and even graffiti.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2022 9:07AM

Best one is either a really nice contemporary counterfeit 1875 shield nickel, it looks like it is nearly uncirculated, or a 1909-VDB with a large reverse cud. Plenty of others but those two stand out so far.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2022 10:14AM

Not much in the way of cherrypicks so far, but a lot of really solid "seller doesn't understand what they're selling" hits so far. That rainbow toned '84 Olympics dollar was $60, I peg the value of that coin around $750. 85-S that later graded 62 for $90. 00-S that graded 61 for $150. 90-O that graded 64+ for $65. 91 plain that graded 64 for $97. 79-S that graded 67, from some original rolls I bought for $63/coin. A dealer sold me a gold CAC franklin half for $33 last week?? Original 1960 proof set with a DCAM franklin in the OGP. CAC Peace dollar (not cheap) that I bought and flipped to another dealer for double my money 2 days later because the dealer that sold it didn't realize the premium on CAC for that date/grade.

Thought it would be tough to follow up last year but this first quarter has been great.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@ricko said:
    Cherry picking is great... but the most fun... IMO... is when one cherry picks themselves. Finding a special coin/variety/error etc. that you did not realize you had... Just like getting a free lunch.... :D Cheers, RickO

I've had a few of those lately as I work through the die marriages in my SLH collection for Seated Half Society membership. For example, I found out that my best 1845-O half is a WB13, which is an R6, my favorite 44-O is an R5,
    and my 1878-CC is definitely not a fake.

And who can forget last year's self-cherries. (EDS 55/54s and an R8)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian... That is great... several self cherry picks.... Really nice surprises. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

I found an 1878-S Long Nock dollar a few months ago. I’ll see if I can find some pics…

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options

@ricko said:
    @Barberian... That is great... several self cherry picks.... Really nice surprises. Cheers, RickO

Another nice surprise is rediscovering a coin that you'd forgotten you had. Then that coin turns out to be a rare die marriage as well!

At a FUN show a few years ago, I bought a PCGS VG8 CAC 1874-CC half dollar from GFRC. When I got home and checked my Dansco, I found out I already had a decent raw 1874-CC in G6. I wouldn't have purchased the VG8 coin if I'd remembered that I already had one. However, I'm glad I did as CC SLHs and CAC coins are pretty hot right now. Anyway, though it was well worn, I was able to positively identify it as a WB1, which is an R6, the rarest of the three die marriages. For comparison, the popular "railroad track" reverse (WB3a) which typically 'commands' a significant premium, is an R5.

The VG CAC FUN show coin was the relatively common WB3 (R4) with no "railroad tracks" damage to the reverse die.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

1924 Buff that graded MS66 bought for roughly 64 money.
    Also a 1923 Buff that graded MS65 for MS63 money.
    A 1941 Proof cent that graded PR66+RD that I think was $50 or so, I don't remember where I got that one.
    Have had some decent luck this year :)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 7:04AM

1892 10C RPD FS-301 (FS-008.3) PCGS AU58 (1/0) (unatrributed)

Disclosure: I have had this one since last September.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 7:05AM

@ricko said:
    Cherry picking is great... but the most fun... IMO... is when one cherry picks themselves. Finding a special coin/variety/error etc. that you did not realize you had... Just like getting a free lunch.... :D Cheers, RickO

My greatest fear in this hobby......having something significant or rare and not know it! 😫 😁

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 8:13AM

Looking at auction results I don't think there is much of a premium if any but I paid a reasonable price regardless of the dies and stumbled into figuring out the HM-4 Die marriage after purchase.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont have an image on my phone but apparently the 1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent I picked up earlier this year is an S-62 which would make it an R4 piece... I sort of "backed into" it as I had no idea at the time of purchase.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe not my best cherrypick, but most unusual. This "artistic" nickel was in the 13-D slot of a Buffalo Nickel folder I picked off the 'bay for $130 (which also had a 1919 which I expect to grade 64). I threw it on ebay and it sold for $360:

Make me wonder if I got cherrypicked :D

• Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Cherrypicked this 1964 accented hair at coin shop.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2022 8:23AM

Cool Thread!
    I don't know if my coin qualifies.
    I did cherry it in late November of last year.
    However, I did receive it back, this year!
    :D
    It's the 1956 proof Type 1 Franklin.
    I bought the whole set for $60. But I did find, not only the Type 1 Franklin but also a minor DDO on the Jefferson as well.
    Both were attributed for the varieties.
    Here's the King!

Pf. 67 type 1

The Jefferson also came back a PF. 67
    However, it came back a "minor ddo", not the FS- 102.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t been out looking because of work, but have been flipping as of lately. Got this out of the deal for my time.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

grabbed a 94-o morgan xf/xf+ for $40

a nice 71-d ike friendly unc for $3

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may have outdone myself for best cherrypick of 2022. It's arriving in a couple days and I'll probably give it its own thread. Stay tuned!

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

$3 1972 Type 2 Ike that I sold raw on ebay for ~$90.

That's best % return off the top of my head, total $ I'd have to look into a bit.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few potential cherrypicks coming in soon as well. If my predicted grades are correct for a submission I have at PCGS, I could have one of the best cherrypicks I've ever had. Fingers crossed!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

This year I had the best cherrypick of my life, but I just can't write about it here. I would prefer to continue doing business with that dealer, who might be upset at leaving $40K on the table.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed out in a 1936 year set that seller called uncirculated cleaned but looked like a proof set.

• Options

Seems like folks are having a good month - I just got in one mf my best picks of the year as well, I'll try to add pics later tonight.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2022 1:36PM

Would likely be the proof 1938 Mercury Dime purchased as a business strike.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2022 12:51PM

This is the best one for me so far this year. 1936 D 3 1/2 Leg I picked up for .50 cents.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vetter said:
    This is the best one for me so far this year. 1936 D 3 1/2 Leg I picked up for .50 cents.

You Suck!

• Options
    edited September 27, 2022 7:23PM

This arrived over the weekend, 1873 Shield Nickel with a monster DDO, old FS-008.7. Unfortunately it's very porous so it's hard to photograph, though it was likely barely circulated before it went into the ground.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did well with copper last week. Few doors down from my house someone threw out for trash pickup some old copper pipe from a shower assembly. Took it to the recycling center. Pocketed $26.80. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file