Home Precious Metals
Options

Ferrocarril Silver 2 ounce bullion piece

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anybody seen one of these before?

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the round, but I assume it's based off of the 1950 5 peso Mexican piece:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

I'm trying to figure out if it's scarce. I can't find it online. It's reeded edge with no number or anything. It's in the premium bullion pile at my local shop but they don't know much about it either.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey if you don’t want it pick it up for me! I think it’s very cool.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

There are a whole bunch of different “dos onzas” silver rounds with different designs on the front and back. I’ve never found any information about them but think they are vintage and somewhat rare but not super collectible. If you search “dos onza” on eBay and ignore the Libertads you will see more designs. Some look like they have a proof finish.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2022 5:28AM

@MilesWaits said:
    Hey if you don’t want it pick it up for me! I think it’s very cool.

I'll head back there today and see if it's still available.

@idratherbgardening said:
    There are a whole bunch of different “dos onzas” silver rounds with different designs on the front and back. I’ve never found any information about them but think they are vintage and somewhat rare but not super collectible. If you search “dos onza” on eBay and ignore the Libertads you will see more designs. Some look like they have a proof finish.

I looked around before I asked the question here. I found a few similar but not exactly like this one... makes me wonder if it was part of a larger set of commemoratives.

The Mexican Central Railway (Ferrocarril Central Mexicano) was one of the primary pre-nationalization railways of Mexico. Incorporated in Massachusetts in 1880, it opened the main line in March 1884, linking Mexico City to Ciudad Juárez, across the Rio Grande from El Paso and connections to the Southern Pacific Railroad, Texas and Pacific Railway, and Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Other major branches included Irapuato to Guadalajara (completed in 1888), Chicalote to Tampico (completed in 1890), and Guadalajara to Manzanillo (completed in 1908).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old silver round.... Ferrocarril is Railway... At least melt value, not sure of collector demand. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    I'm trying to figure out if it's scarce. I can't find it online. It's reeded edge with no number or anything. It's in the premium bullion pile at my local shop but they don't know much about it either.

See if you can get it for generic pricing.
    I may have one in my stack.
    Would have to check.
    I don't know anything about them, but the 2 ounce older stuff did bring a slight premium.

• Options

@Meltdown be sure to look at sold listings on eBay and also worthpoint.com for eBay archives.