Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1922 Caramel Babe Ruth & I fell in love with the well preserved corners instead of the OC of a PSA 3

Way back when it was always the corners and the lack of creases that drove the condition of the card. Now centering has taken such a prominent role in determining the grade that I believe it has left some incredible buying opportunities for some well preserved cards.

I took a shot at a PSA 3 1922 Caramel Ruth Holding Bird that was off centered; one because early 20's Ruth cards with an actual photo of him(instead of all the strip card drawings), are getting out of reach quickly, and two because the card looked pretty nice outside of the centering. It's also a very low pop from a great set.

When I got the card in hand, I found myself far more enamored with how well preserved the corners, edges, and surface are on this card, that the centering no long really mattered to me.

In other words, I found it more impressive to have such a fragile condition sensitive card that was kept so well preserved, as opposed to the centering that was done at the factory.

No creases, the corners are EX+, and the edges are superb. Left to right centering is bad. Top to bottom is great.

In the end a PSA 3, but in my eyes, I still view the corners, edges, and crease free surface as making it far more impressive looking than a typical 3 for a card as old as this and as condition sensitive with no high grade examples in existence.

The highest graded PSA example is a 6! There is just one 6, four 5's, and five 4's. So basically, this PSA 3 with sharp corners, smooth edges, and no creases is about as well preserved as any other example of this card in existence. In my eyes, that makes it far more special than the "3" due to centering.

Comments

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Has to be said.........unfortunate placement of the bat in that pic.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • jimqjimq Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

There aren't too many playing days cards of Ruth with actual pics instead of drawings. Congrats on the pickup.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

Great pickup!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson

Stellar.

Yet another tremendous card.

I salute you!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @1948_Swell_Robinson

Stellar.

Yet another tremendous card.

I salute you!

Thank you.

Yes, bought a couple of my Ruth's back that I sold years ago. I feel like Kevin Costner in Draft Day getting his first round picks back.

When I got it in hand and it was crease free and scratch free with great corners...I was extra happy. I was going to be content even if it had a small visible crease.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent card... Seems the grade raises more questions than it resolves and I will leave it at that.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.