Home Sports Talk

Top 3 MLB players who became managers

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell us the 3 best ball players ever who managed an MLB team. #1 is easy.

Comments

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2022 8:39AM

Ted Williams
    Rogers Hornsby

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭

Frank Robinson

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

We may be missing one

He won over 450 games as a manager. No, it’s not Pete Rose

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yogi Berra

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

I suspect you were not contemplating Joe Cronin as one of the three

No on Cronin.

Berra was great but this guy a bit better

Mel Ott was a playing manager and manager of the Giants... doubtful that was who you were contemplating as well

His son was a doctor, but died before he did. They had the same name.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ty Cobb managed the Tigers for while, but was forced to leave under cloud.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

One of the owners told the Babe that he could not manage himself. Ruth got promises, but no commitments from the Braves and the Dodgers. They hired him as a gate attraction,.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Ty Cobb is correct.

Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, and whoever else you want in there .

Most people have Ruth and Williams as the two greatest hitters all time.

If you look at Williams numbers against Bob Feller and Ruth against Walter Johnson, they may think differently.

It could be Williams and Ruth instead of Ruth and Williams.

edited March 21, 2022 2:03PM

😎

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Williams, Cobb and Pete Rose!

Steve

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank Robinson

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2022 2:57PM

Here's the list (from baseball-reference.com), of all the HOFers who managed for even one game.

Mgr
    Walter Alston HOF
    Sparky Anderson HOF
    Cap Anson HOF
    Luke Appling HOF
    Dave Bancroft HOF
    Ed Barrow HOF
    Yogi Berra HOF
    Jim Bottomley HOF
    Lou Boudreau HOF
    Roger Bresnahan HOF
    Mordecai Brown HOF
    Max Carey HOF
    Frank Chance HOF
    Oscar Charleston HOF
    Fred Clarke HOF
    Ty Cobb HOF
    Mickey Cochrane HOF
    Eddie Collins HOF
    Jimmy Collins HOF
    Charlie Comiskey HOF
    Roger Connor HOF
    Andy Cooper HOF
    Bobby Cox HOF
    Joe Cronin HOF
    George Davis HOF
    Bill Dickey HOF
    Martín Dihigo HOF
    Larry Doby HOF
    Hugh Duffy HOF
    Leo Durocher HOF
    Johnny Evers HOF
    Buck Ewing HOF
    Rube Foster HOF
    Frankie Frisch HOF
    Pud Galvin HOF
    Joe Gordon HOF
    Clark Griffith HOF
    Burleigh Grimes HOF
    Ned Hanlon HOF
    Bucky Harris HOF
    Gabby Hartnett HOF
    Billy Herman HOF
    Whitey Herzog HOF
    Pete Hill HOF
    Gil Hodges HOF
    Rogers Hornsby HOF
    Miller Huggins HOF
    Hughie Jennings HOF
    Judy Johnson HOF
    Walter Johnson HOF
    Joe Kelley HOF
    King Kelly HOF
    Tony La Russa HOF
    Nap Lajoie HOF
    Tommy Lasorda HOF
    Bob Lemon HOF
    John Henry Lloyd HOF
    Al Lopez HOF
    Ted Lyons HOF
    Connie Mack HOF
    Biz Mackey HOF
    Rabbit Maranville HOF
    Eddie Mathews HOF
    Christy Mathewson HOF
    Joe McCarthy HOF
    Tommy McCarthy HOF
    John McGraw HOF
    Bill McKechnie HOF
    Bid McPhee HOF
    José Mendéz HOF
    Paul Molitor HOF
    Kid Nichols HOF
    Hank O'Day HOF
    Buck O'Neil HOF
    Jim O'Rourke HOF
    Mel Ott HOF
    Tony Perez HOF
    Cum Posey HOF
    Branch Rickey HOF
    Frank Robinson HOF
    Wilbert Robinson HOF
    Bullet Rogan HOF
    Ryne Sandberg HOF
    Ray Schalk HOF
    Red Schoendienst HOF
    Frank Selee HOF
    George Sisler HOF
    Billy Southworth HOF
    Al Spalding HOF
    Tris Speaker HOF
    Turkey Stearnes HOF
    Casey Stengel HOF
    Mule Suttles HOF
    Ben Taylor HOF
    Bill Terry HOF
    Joe Tinker HOF
    Joe Torre HOF
    Alan Trammell HOF
    Pie Traynor HOF
    Honus Wagner HOF
    Bobby Wallace HOF
    Ed Walsh HOF
    John Ward HOF
    Earl Weaver HOF
    Willie Wells HOF
    Deacon White HOF
    Sol White HOF
    Dick Williams HOF
    Joe Williams HOF
    Ted Williams HOF
    Jud Wilson HOF
    George Wright HOF
    Harry Wright HOF
    Cy Young HOF

Don Mattingly
    Pete Rose

Steve

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    Here's the list (from baseball-reference.com), of all the HOFers who managed for even one game.

Mgr

Don Mattingly
    Pete Rose

Steve

(Long list deleted) I had completely forgotten that Tony Perez managed the Reds (for a few games) and Marlins for 2/3 of a season.

I admire Don Mattingly fans for their dedication, but it is extremely easy to pick three players on my deleted list who were far better. In fact it isn't hard to pick thirty. I haven't tried, but I'll bet it is easy to pick five people not in the Hall who managed and were significantly better than Mattingly.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2022 10:33PM

@BillJones said:

One of the owners told the Babe that he could not manage himself. Ruth got promises, but no commitments from the Braves and the Dodgers. They hired him as a gate attraction,.

The 2 books on the Babe that I've read cited this the main reason. I did not read anything about him wanting to break the color barrier via his wanting blacks in MLB. I'll have to read up on that angle. What's interesting about this, if it had happened, it may of skewed some baseball records in favor of black players and impacted the white players records.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited March 23, 2022 4:12AM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@BillJones said:

The 2 books on the Babe that I've read cited this the main reason. I did not read anything about him wanting to break the color barrier via his wanting blacks in MLB. I'll have to read up on that angle. What's interesting about this, if it had happened, it may of skewed some baseball records in favor of black players and impacted the white players records.

Not sure about the records. There have been some great black players over the decades, but very few blacks overall in mlb. Basketball and football has many, but soccer and hockey has very little, with baseball in between there somewhere.

For example. Make a list of the 100 best ball players from 1980-2020.

How many blacks are there ?

Griffey Jr.
    Ozzie Smith ?
    Do Strawberry and Gooden make the list ? Does Mookie Betts ?

It would be an interesting list, but my guess is 80-90% is white, Hispanic, or other.

Don’t think that 10% of blacks in mlb in the 1920s would affect any records.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage

For example. Make a list of the 100 best ballplayers from 1980-2020.

Rickey Henderson and Barry Bonds would be 1 and 2.
    Tony Gwynn would definitely be on the list, too.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add Eddie Murray.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim Raines and Harold Baines

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

From that list (not considering Bonds for obvious reasons) the only record that was affected was the stolen base record.

No pitching records, batting average, or any others are affected

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Ty Cobb is correct.

Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, and whoever else you want in there .

So post season failures no longer apply to your standards?

Obviously, a poor post season stat line in baseball doesn't mean much other than the simple randomness that occurs all year in baseball to even the very best....but it is odd that you apply that standard in some cases but not others. > @Goldenage said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@BillJones said:

Not sure about the records. There have been some great black players over the decades, but very few blacks overall in mlb. Basketball and football has many, but soccer and hockey has very little, with baseball in between there somewhere.

For example. Make a list of the 100 best ball players from 1980-2020.

How many blacks are there ?

Griffey Jr.
    Ozzie Smith ?
    Do Strawberry and Gooden make the list ? Does Mookie Betts ?

It would be an interesting list, but my guess is 80-90% is white, Hispanic, or other.

No need to guess any of the percentages of African American players in MLB.

The percentages are as follows:

African American percentage in MLB was at an all time high in 1981 with 18.7 percent of MLB players of being African American. The decade of the 1980's had the highest percentage of African American players averaging 17.8% per year.

The 1980's also averaged around 12% Latin American players in MLB

For context, the league was 5.5% African American in 1955, 8.9% in 1960, 12.7% in 1965, 14.6% in 1970, 18.5% in 1975.

16% in 1990, 16.% in 1995, 12.8% in 2000.

African American participation in MLB has dwindled considerably with only 6.7% in MLB in 2016. However, there was a vast increase of Latin American players with it being 27.4% in 2016.

Asian participation in MLB was 2.1% in 2016.

In simpler terms, just look at what the percentage of white players was in MLB, as it was 100% up until Jackie Robinson.

In 1945 MLB was 100% white.
    in 1950 it was 95.3
    1955 89.8
    1960 82.3
    1970 73.7
    1980 71.1
    1990 68.6
    2000 61.2
    2010 63
    2016 it was 63.7% white.

@Go

This is NOT my work.

After reading those percentages above, here is a more detailed breakdown on the impact of the game in terms of on field performance for each ethnicity.

In 1947 White players accounted for 99.9% of all the WAR accumulated in MLB. African Americans 0.4%

In 1960 White players 79.5% of WAR. African American players 13.8%. Latin 6.7%
    In 1970 White players 66.8% of WAR, African Amerian players 23.5%. Latin 9.7%
    In 1980 White players 66.7% of WAR. African American players 26.4%. Latin 7%
    in 1990 White players 64.4% of WAR. African American players 24%. Latin 11%
    In 2000 White players 55.7% of WAR. African American players 13.9%. Latin 27.7%. Asian 2.6%
    In 2010 White players 57% of WAR. African American players 11.1%. Latin 29.6. Asian 2.3%
    In 2016 White Players 59.9% of WAR. African Amerian players 8.3%. Latin 29.2. Asian 2.5%

Work cited to Mark Armour of SABR.

Baseball demographics have gone under an immense transformation and world wild participation has grown tremendously as well and continues to do so.

In baseball you win as a team and lose as a team. When discussing greatest teams, winning championships determines a great team. Individual players in baseball can not win championships by themselves. They need great players around them. When speaking in terms of great players in baseball individual stats trump team championships.

edited March 26, 2022 11:33AM

Yet some teams like the Phillies from the mid 1970s to 1980 consistently underperformed in the post season. Yes, the Cincinnati Reds were really good, but that was not whole reason the Phillies always fell in the play-offs.

It took Pete Rose to put some winning gumption into them, when they finally won their first World Series in history in 1980. Rose made the difference on that team.

edited March 26, 2022 12:36PM

Mike Schmidt especially in the time period you speak of. Very poor postseason performances except one. Carlton was decent I think. Don’t believe they had great starting pitching outside of Lefty. Remember Manny Trillo playing great defense against Houston. Don’t recall the year though.

@BillJones said:
    Yet some teams like the Phillies from the mid 1970s to 1980 consistently underperformed in the post season. Yes, the Cincinnati Reds were really good, but that was not whole reason the Phillies always fell in the play-offs.

It took Pete Rose to put some winning gumption into them, when they finally won their first World Series in history in 1980. Rose made the difference on that team.

Remember in that time, as good as the Reds were, they only won two WS. Dodgers only won one(and the Reds got cheated out of the post season that year due to the dumb first half/second half rule while the Reds had the best record in the league), so LA should not even have been there. Phillies won one. Royals were in contention all the time too and only won one, and that wasn't until 1985 and they only won because of a famously blown call.

Those teams all had great runs and made a mark in baseball history and their fans for that stretch.

Everything has to fall your way to win it all in a short series when you are playing teams just as good as yours...and those teams were all just as good as each other.

I think we harp on these teams a little too much for only winning one title while being in serious contention for several years.

Imagine being the Padres, Giants, or Cubs those years....now that is worthy of scorn.