Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Classic Silver Commemoratives on the rise again?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really Nice set of matched commemoratives, and yes, the gold accents are the cherry!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see classic commemoratives finally showing some signs of life.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@PerryHall said:

I never did get a response to my question. How is the classic gold commemorative market doing these days? I'm primarily talking about the gold dollars and quarter eagles. What say you? :)

I'm not an expert on classic gold commemoratives for the simple reason that they are easily found. I like coins that are difficult to find. In the latest update for a set of MS66s (which is completely out of my league) went from $614,700 to $615,800. The two $50 Panamas for $390,000 alone did not move at all.

Great Collections provides an Auction Archive. Check it out, compare the populations and prices to the silvers ,and let us know what you think. My though is they are lagging the market. The question is - are they undervalued or still overpriced.

I did some further research. A lot has to do with the popularity of owning gold commemoratives. A $1 gold coin has a little less than $100 in melt value. There are 95 1905 Lewis and Clark in PCGS MS66. PCGS price guide is $9,750. An unloved 1937-S Arkansas in PCGS M66 has a price guide of $750 and a population of 86! Of course, a MS66 Lafayette with a pop of 89 goes for $12,000. Compared to the gold commemoratives, there are some good values in the silvers.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@DisneyFan said:

@PerryHall said:

I never did get a response to my question. How is the classic gold commemorative market doing these days? I'm primarily talking about the gold dollars and quarter eagles. What say you? :)

I'm not an expert on classic gold commemoratives for the simple reason that they are easily found. I like coins that are difficult to find. In the latest update for a set of MS66s (which is completely out of my league) went from $614,700 to $615,800. The two $50 Panamas for $390,000 alone did not move at all.

Great Collections provides an Auction Archive. Check it out, compare the populations and prices to the silvers ,and let us know what you think. My though is they are lagging the market. The question is - are they undervalued or still overpriced.

I did some further research. A lot has to do with the popularity of owning gold commemoratives. A $1 gold coin has a little less than $100 in melt value. There are 95 1905 Lewis and Clark in PCGS MS66. PCGS price guide is $9,750. An unloved 1937-S Arkansas in PCGS M66 has a price guide of $750 and a population of 86! Of course, a MS66 Lafayette with a pop of 89 goes for $12,000. Compared to the gold commemoratives, there are some good values in the silvers.

Far more silver commemorative collectors collect by type than by date. And in the case of the Arkansas, if you add up the populations of each date in MS66 condition, the total exceeds 2300.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that is correct. Currently, there are 415 participants in the 50 coin Registry sets vs. 137 in the 144 coin Registry sets. And already 36 vs. 9 in CAC sets. My recent Grant vs. Grant Star survey showed 20 board members favored giving additional weight vs. 12 favoring equal weight.

Couldn't there be room for both philosophies at least in the case of the 50 silver commemorative type coins - the largest group of type coins - 50 coins? One registry type set for the highest condition coins and another for the highest rarities?

Interestingly, we don't refer to a 7 or 8 coin Gold Commemorative Type set in the Registry. :smile: It would cut down the cost of collecting gold commemoratives.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 8:30AM

@JW77 said:
    I could be partly responsible. Bought these two toners for multiples pf the price guide

Gorgeous coins @JW77!

I'm a HUGE fan of commem toners.

Here are your TrueViews:

Please join the Classic Commemorative Appreciation Thead.

Then got carried away due to COVID brain fog and bought the Wisconsin commem in a recent Heritage auction

I'm working hard on self control for the near term

Haha, me too. Need to stay focused!

But, that looks like a nice white coin and what this thread is about.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is interesting that people don’t think in terms of a gold type set. If there were such a category wouldn’t it be ten coins, with a “short set” of eight that includes only the smaller denominations?

For my eight coin set I’d want to include both LA Purchase coins, and I’d consider round vs octagonal a major difference, unlike a star or a date.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:
    It is interesting that people don’t think in terms of a gold type set. If there were such a category wouldn’t it be ten coins, with a “short set” of eight that includes only the smaller denominations?

For my eight coin set I’d want to include both LA Purchase coins, and I’d consider round vs octagonal a major difference, unlike a star or a date.

The standard gold type set has twelve coins---3 G$1, 2 G$2.5, 1 G$3, 2 G$5, 2 G$10, and 2 G$20.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    two "Joe Six-Pack" examples from the PCGS Price Guide:

1. 1937-D Arkansas, MS64, a VERY common coin: 9/2018 - 11/2019 $125; 12/2019 - 5/2021 $135; 6/2021 - 3/2022 $150; just now raised to $160.
    2. Iowa MS64, also very common: 9/2018 - 2/2021 $100; 3/2021 - 5/2021 $110; 6/2021 - 9/2021 $115; 10/21 - Present $120.

>

Wow. They barely even kept up with the rising price of the CAC sticker. 🤣

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file