Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Amazing Terminal Die State Civil War Token Error

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 19, 2022 11:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm fascinated by errors and two Civil War Token issues stand out for their progressive die failure.

One of them is the Broas Pie Baker Civil War token by Charles D. Horter who worked out of 178 William St. in New York City. Of note, he worked just down the street from William Henry Bridgens at 189 William St.

Here's the biography from Dick Johnson's Databank: http://www.medalartists.com/horter-charles-d.html

HORTER, Charles D. (fl 1854-70) Early American engraver, New York City, Waterbury.

First listed New York city directory 1854, associated with Leichtweis & Horter, New York (1856-58); he shared his establishment (shown on reverse storecard below) with Louis Rahm. Pete Smith states Horter and diesinker Emil Sigel worked across the street from each other and may have traded dies. Horter was in Waterbury Connecticut working for Scovill 1863-64.

Signed dies CH (1863) or CDH (1864) initials, or last name in full. Gladfelter states his engraved items were uneven in quality, ranging from well-executed and bold relief pieces to small, lightweight ones.

1863 Broas Pie Baker Token, terminal die state
Errors: large cud, clashed dies, die cracks
Catalog: Fuld NY 630L-14a (miscataloged as Fuld NY 630M-8a)
Grade: NGC AU55
Pedigree: Q. David Bowers, Steve Hayden (dlr)

This is an amazing late die state I just picked up from @SteveHayden which I've never seen before. Of additional interest is that this may be from the first Bowers Reference Set! This is also an NGC insert pedigree which I've never seen before.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 19, 2022 10:19AM

By the way, it's 5.5 miles from Broas Pie Baker at 131 41st St. in Brooklyn to their die sinker Charles D. Horter at 178 William St. in Manhattan.

Here's a post card of Horter's store building at 178 William St:

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47e0-d4c4-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

Mapping street addresses and distances for Civil War Token merchants is another fascination of mine.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I love the terminal die state on your CWT. Underrated and undervalued.

@Zoins said:

>

Mapping street addresses and distances for Civil War Token merchants is another fascination of mine.

>

I do the same with trade tokens and medals, when applicable. I like to find the oldest photos of a business or building, and then compare it side-by-side with the building today. In many cases, the "today" photo is a field or vacant lot, especially in the Midwest or the territories.

• Options
    CapstickCapstick Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

I have one of these and its one of my absolute favorite coins. Its in a 62BR holder. Yours looks like its in worse shape than mine.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2022 10:29AM

@Capstick said:
    I have one of these and its one of my absolute favorite coins. Its in a 62BR holder. Yours looks like its in worse shape than mine.

Yours looks really nice! The die clash is very prominent on your reverse photo!

I'm fascinated by the Broas Pie Baker die progression series. I had to pick this up since it's the first time I saw both this terminal die state and this early Bowers Reference Set pedigree insert.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice old tokens.... rarely see them. Amazing the die condition. Doubt if it struck anymore after that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always loved the Broas Bros. die anomalies.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

...too cool for words! Love the terminal die state and the prominent clash marks.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2022 11:28AM

Here's my non terminal die state with 45 degrees or 135 degrees rotated die.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file