Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New hammered Elizabeth I Sixpence!

I picked this up raw at Long Beach. I’m really happy with it, but………

I made my first blunder too. Came back AU Details, cleaned. I’m still happy with it and love the look and toning, but I stepped outside my wheelhouse and took a chance without knowing a great deal about these so I didn’t really understand what to look for. Ah well, pay to learn as they say sometimes! Again, I’m still happy to own it, and love the look. To be honest I had a little nagging in the back of my head that the obverse portrait area looked a little to shiny. I should have trusted my judgement, or at least, bought it realizing that yes it will be details and that’s ok, instead of hoping for a straight grade.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Comments

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a cool piece of history!
    What’s not to like?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman I agree! I’m going to continue looking for hammered coins from the English monarchs I think. I have one other. Seems like a fun thing to try and I really enjoy reading up on the history of them as I find coins.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally all hammered coins are cleaned to some extent, as they come from the ground covered in dirt. Sometimes TPGs are harder on these coins, sometimes they’re easier. Your coin looks nice despite the cleaning, it has retoned decently. I’m not sure the AU details holder adds any value, so unless you want your coins in a certain slab, I’d probably just crack it out and enjoy it raw, like a good hammered coin should be :)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Nap I think the majority of coins older than 1900 have been in a more appropriate term been conserved to some degree. The outliers are well preserved hoards, accumulations like bags of Morgan Dollars. I mean really, a nearly 500 year old piece of silver would likely be black if it hadn't! I think if the telltale hairlines of a more serious cleaning aren't present you got screwed!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks great. I wouldn't be too concerned about the minor cleaning ... we are not talking about 1881-S Morgan Dollars here. :)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

Really nice coin. I agree it doesn’t make sense to have it in a details slab when most hammered coins have been cleaned. The portrait is good for one of these.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. Nice coin and hard to get too upset about the details grade. It has been cleaned but at least has toned somewhat again.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    BSmithBSmith Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Here's some dealers you might enjoy checking out.

Coins Of Britain - Lloyd Bennett He's a very honest dealer
    AMR Coins
    Hammered British Coins LTD
    CNG Coins
    Baldwin's Coins

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2022 7:03AM

I have an Elizabeth Sixpence dated 1561 and bought it several years ago for this reason:

England Silver Sixpence 1561 Elizabeth I
    Silver, 27 mm, 2.75 gm
    Struck Tower Mint, Downward Arrow (a "pheon") mintmark, above the Queen's head

Obverse: Crowned bust of Elizabeth facing left with a rose behind her head
    ELIZABETH D G ANG FR ET HI REGINA followed by a downward arrow mintmark
    (Elizabeth by the Grace of God, England, France and Ireland, Queen)
    Reverse: Shield with arms (lions and fleurs-de-lis) and long cross behind
    POSVI DEV ADIVTOREM MEV (I have made God my Helper)

The English pirate Sir Francis Drake supposedly landed on the coast of Northern California in 1579 and supposedly left a brass plate with an inscription claiming the land for England and Queen Elizabeth along with an Elizabeth sixpence.

In 1936 a hiker found a brass plate and brought it to a Professor Bolton of the University of California at Berkeley. Bolton was convinced that the plate was left by Drake and convinced some friends to buy it from Shinn for $3,000, a large amount at the time. Bolton had the plate authenticated by metal experts and for years it was displayed as supposedly proof of Drake's landing. Copies were given to dignitaries, including England's current Queen Elizabeth.

The infamous Drake "Plate of Brasse", on display at the Bancroft Library

Some had doubts about the plate's authenticity from the start, and in the 1970's with better analysis techniques, it was conclusively determined to be a manufactured modern-made hoax.

A historian published an article in 2002 with the details, the plate was manufactured by three members of a historical club, E Clampus Vitus (ECV), who wanted to play a joke on Professor Bolton.

My father brought me to the Bancroft Library in the 1950's and I remember seeing the plate then in a display case in the lobby.

The plate is still there but now with an explanation of the hoax and a copy of an E Clampus Vitus magazine.

E Clampus Vitus magazine

I just had to have an Elizabeth sixpence.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BSmithBSmith Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Here's one I picked up a few years ago.

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for the responses! It is encouraging that everyone seems to think it's a decent coin based on photos at least. We'll call it a learning moment. As I said, I still like the coin so I'm not super bothered by it, I'd just rather know ahead of time what I'm getting in to, and I feel like now I've got a little bit more understanding of what to look for as I continue in my collecting.

@WillieBoyd2 I'd never heard of that story and I'm here in California. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing you need to remember is that a lot of ancient and foreign collectors are not as fussy about slabs as American collectors. The fact that your coin is raw, if you decide to crack it out, is nearly as important as it is for an American coin. When a coin of this age, that was made to circulate, is in high grade and has no issues, it's worth a premium. The others always find a market.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Although the OP coin is a nice one, I don't get the point at having it slabbed

Mine is raw and will remain so

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

I also purchased one recently, not quite the detail that yours has, but I still like it. Also picked up a Henry VII groat. I agree completely with you re raw vs getting these graded. Thx for sharing

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it and I would enjoy it more out the details holder if it were mine.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edward IV coins are a bear to find. The problem was his coins were too heavy for all but a couple of years of his reign. Many were shipped to the continent and melted. His “light” coins were only issued for a couple years. That’s why I bought a gold noble to fill his spot in my collection. If you have to pay a high price, you should at least get a nice coin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?