Home Sports Talk

It sounds like Baker Mayfield is leaving Cleveland

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

He posted this on social media.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

He needs to get out of Cleveland, playing for the Browns has really taken it's toll on him over the years.

I mean, just look at what playing for the Browns can do to a man.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't get my hopes up!!!!! Although, the Browns had Deshaun Watson in yesterday for an interview - so who knows what's going on for sure. The Browns did though get rid of JC Tretter, their starting center, and today let go Austin Hooper who was a pretty damn good tight end last season...............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baker could end up in Indy and Jimmy G in Cleveland. Maybe Baker in Seattle or NO. I guess it will shake out more when Watson decides what new city has the best massage parlors and the dominos fall in place. I'm guessing that will be Carolina.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Great news indeed, of course I can't enjoy it because I'm just too worried about Cam Newton, will he try to slither his way back into a Panthers uniform, and continue to ruin my life?

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Baker could end up in Indy and Jimmy G in Cleveland. Maybe Baker in Seattle or NO.I guess it will shake out more when Watson decides what new city has the best massage parlors and the dominos fall in place. I'm guessing that will be Carolina.

m

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was a bettin' man (I'm not), I would not lay my money on DW going to Cleveland. I think he is Carolina bound but we will see. They are going to cut Keenum for capspace, so that leave Mayfield. My bet (if I were a bettin' man), is on Mayfield starting for the Browns next year despite what is being said today. And maybe 10-7 wild card............

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

@spacehayduke said:
    If I was a bettin' man (I'm not), I would not lay my money on DW going to Cleveland. I think he is Carolina bound but we will see. They are going to cut Keenum for capspace, so that leave Mayfield. My bet (if I were a bettin' man), is on Mayfield starting for the Browns next year despite what is being said today. And maybe 10-7 wild card............

Isn't Baker on his last year of his rookie contract? I can't see Cleveland signing him to a big second contract. We shall see. Maybe he ends up in Seattle or Indy.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I think he has one more year?

People also ask
    How long is Baker Mayfield contract?
    4 year
    Baker Mayfield signed a 4 year, $32,682,980 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including a $21,849,440 signing bonus, $32,682,980 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,170,745.
    Current Contract.
    Contract: 4 yr(s) / $32,682,980
    Total Guarantees $32,682,980
    Guaranteed at Signing $32,682,980
    Free Agent: 2023 / UFA

So he is one his last year of his contract. Thanks. Makes it spicy for Cleveland

m

@spacehayduke said:
    If I was a bettin' man (I'm not), I would not lay my money on DW going to Cleveland. I think he is Carolina bound but we will see. They are going to cut Keenum for capspace, so that leave Mayfield.

So far the Cleveland sports "experts" say Watson doesn't want to play in a cold weather climate city and Houston doesn't want to trade him to an AFC team. And nothing yet on Keenam - but keeping him with the team this year will count around 7 Million towards the cap (I think I heard 6.8)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don’t see the value in Cleveland trading him really, it’s not like he will be a hot ticket free agent in my opinion.

They should let him play out his rookie deal if they can’t get a big name QB like Watson or draft

News from Cleveland - Browns are out of the running for Watson. No word of Baker or Keenum

We will see what their next move is. Roster bonus for Keenum tomorrow (?), let's see if he is still on the team then. Mayfield is set to make around $20 million if they keep him for the upcoming season. I think they have already decided he is not the promised land, so they may draft a qb and go for Keenum for 1 year, we will see.....

• DMasciDMasci Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

While I don't believe Baker is a top tier QB I would like to see him stay in Cleveland this coming season. I don't understand why they played him injured for most of last season with Keenum on the bench and he did look pretty good at the end of 2020 and before his injury last year. Cleveland is a run first team with a pretty good defense, all you need is someone to be able to pass the ball well enough to keep defenses from packing the line to stop the run. The pursuit of Watson has Hasslen written all over it, he also was the force behind Manzel. Stick to gas stations and let FB people run the team.

The Browns said no to Mayfield because they know they won’t get much for him

• DMasciDMasci Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    The Browns said no to Mayfield because they know they won’t get much for him

I agree, and having a pissed off QB in the last year of his contract isn't necessarily a bad thing anyway. To be the QB of the Browns means hand the ball off to their RBs and throw enough to keep defenses honest.

Maybe he will be thrown into the Watson trade, but I suspect not bc he would impede development of Davis Mills given Mayfield's expectation of starting.......... Hope that does not happen, Mills might be the real deal, he has the large qb body, strong and accurate, and very very very very smart. Tremendous potential there and they need to see what it can turn into.

From ESPN today:

Let's compare stats:

Even take away last season where BM was hurt and it is not even close. And as I have said, when DW learns to eliminate sacks, watch out. Stefanski was the one who got Keenum to the top for the V's that one year, I suspect he is the right coach for DW and those sacks will indeed be successfully addressed.

@spacehayduke said:
    From ESPN today:

Let's compare stats:

Even take away last season where BM was hurt and it is not even close. And as I have said, when DW learns to eliminate sacks, watch out. Stefanski was the one who got Keenum to the top for the V's that one year, I suspect he is the right coach for DW and those sacks will indeed be successfully addressed.

Watson and Mayfield are not even in the same conversation.

I don’t blame Mayfield for being butthurt and insulted but your talking an elite young QB against a little above average QB, it’s not even really close. If I’m Mayfield I’m just going to keep my mouth shut and see what happens, I mean before we know it “M” is going to start throwing her nonsense out there via social media

Baker should end up in Seattle, Indy, NO or Carolina. All could use him and would be an upgrade over what they have now.

I suppose Atlanta could be in play for Mayfield as well if they could find one of the teams above to take Matt Ryan and the 48 million due him this year. Indy and Ryan makes some sense

m

@Justacommeman said:
    Baker should end up in Seattle, Indy, NO or Carolina. All could use him and would be an upgrade over what they have now.

I suppose Atlanta could be in play for Mayfield as well if they could find one of the teams above to take Matt Ryan and the 48 million due him this year. Indy and Ryan makes some sense

m

m, who do you rate higher, Mayfield or Wentz?

Well, there goes all of his Progressive Insurance commercials right in the dumpster.........

edited March 18, 2022 6:53PM

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

I think Baker has the higher upside. I think Wentz's best result is average

What's your take?

m

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

I think Baker has the higher upside. I think Wentz's best result is average

What's your take?

m

I’m not sure, that’s why I asked you lol

I guess I’d have to say they are both “Meh” if I was forced to chose one I’d go with Mayfield only because I feel his desire to be better is greater than Wentz and from what I’m reading a much better locker room guy.

I agree, both BM and CW are 'Meh'. There are still other qb's in FA play - Mariota, Winston, etc. How this plays out is anyone's guess.

Word is that the Browns are keeping Keenum to start if DW serves a suspension. Alot of Cleveland fans are upset over taking on DW, as an H-town resident, we are mostly thrilled to see him leave. We moved on once it was unveiled that his (alleged) personal habits in certain situations were detestable and his expectation that he was supposed to be involved in running the team. I don't care how good a qb is, he is not the GM or coach.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Well, there goes all of his Progressive Insurance commercials right in the dumpster.........

They can always make the one where he has to pack, move into a new home, etc.

Baker to the Rams........Stafford gets injured.............Mayfield to OBJ for a game winning TD in the Super Bowl against the Browns.........B)

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure what happened to Wentz. The only thing I can think of is his injury changed his feel for the game. Watching him panic after a few hits in a game me thinks he worries more about the rush than the play. If Indy couldn’t fix him I suspect no one will.
    Burrow had a similar injury and it didn’t affect him
    Strange but I still believe Wentz has more upside if he ever gets his head right. The talent is there.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Baker was just on the second best running team in the league and it still couldn’t hide his short comings. Indy would be the obvious choice.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@Steven59 said:
    Baker to the Rams........Stafford gets injured.............Mayfield to OBJ for a game winning TD in the Super Bowl against the Browns.........B)

It would be ironic if OBJ resigns with the Browns now. If OBJ re antes with the Rams maybe Robert Woods to the Browns or Bills after LA signed Allen Robinson

m

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2022 1:52PM

@Steven59 said:

My thoughts exactly. 😁

Starting to hear a lot of Baker to the Lions chatter. Cleveland would have to trade Baker and a pick to Lions to pick up the last year of Mayfield's contract. That maybe the market for Baker if it's to any team

m

@Justacommeman said:
    Starting to hear a lot of Baker to the Lions chatter. Cleveland would have to trade Baker and a pick to Lions to pick up the last year of Mayfield's contract. That maybe the market for Baker if it's to any team

m

Poor Baker

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Baker was just on the second best running team in the league and it still couldn’t hide his short comings. Indy would be the obvious choice.

He was hurt nearly the entire season. He probably shouldn't have been playing. He was very good in 2020.

@Justacommeman said:

m

So Lions think Mayfield is better than Goff? Goffs stats from 2018 - 2021 are just slightly better.

@Tabe said:

@2dueces said:

He was hurt nearly the entire season. He probably shouldn't have been playing. He was very good in 2020.

Agreed. Maybe he should have sat out and healed instead of playing through the injuries for the good of his career.

W.C.Fields

@Steven59 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

So Lions think Mayfield is better than Goff? Goffs stats from 2018 - 2021 are just slightly better.

They are probably thinking the upside is better? I mean it’s still possible Mayfield can get better, I keep forgetting he was hurt last year

edited March 21, 2022 9:39AM

@Steven59 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

It's tricky. Mayfield hasn't been paid yet. He is on the last year of his rookie contact. Goff was given a monster extension by the Rams. Goff's dead cap hit is 41 million this year. It's only 10 m next year and 5 m the following year. The Lions don't view Goff as the answer long term. He was notably an anchor in the trade to get a second first round pick from the Rams. They are stuck with him this year unless they can move him. Like Baker it would require trading a pick along with him for someone to take on his contract this year.

I think Baker has too high of opinion on himself and has enablers in his stable. What he thinks his value is and what the NFL thinks his value is wide. Some one might take a chance and over pay him im a crappy QB climate.

m

@erikthredd said:
    Indy & ATL talking about a Matt Ryan to the Colts trade.
    https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/03/falcons-colts-discussing-matt-ryan

Seems like a done deal?

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:
    Indy & ATL talking about a Matt Ryan to the Colts trade.
    https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/03/falcons-colts-discussing-matt-ryan

Seems like a done deal?

I posted that before the trade was announced.

It sounds like Baker Mayfield is leaving Cleveland

Just thinking the title turned into - "It sounds like Cleveland is leaving Baker Mayfield"

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Steven59 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

It's tricky. Mayfield hasn't been paid yet. He is on the last year of his rookie contact. Goff was given a monster extension by the Rams. Goff's dead cap hit is 41 million this year. It's only 10 m next year and 5 m the following year. The Lions don't view Goff as the answer long term. He was notably an anchor in the trade to get a second first round pick from the Rams. They are stuck with him this year unless they can move him. Like Baker it would require trading a pick along with him for someone to take on his contract this year.

I think Baker has too high of opinion on himself and has enablers in his stable. What he thinks his value is and what the NFL thinks his value is wide. Some one might take a chance and over pay him im a crappy QB climate.

m

There's also the fact that Goff improved significantly after Dan Campbell took over playcalling. He was 3-2 with 11 TDs against 2 INTs after.

edited March 21, 2022 8:08PM

@Tabe said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Steven59 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

m

There's also the fact that Goff improved significantly after Dan Campbell took over playcalling. He was 3-2 with 11 TDs against 2 INTs after.

He had great stretches with the Rams too. Took them to a Super Bowl. But to the Rams credit they felt they couldn't win it all with him and traded for Stafford. Goff is not the worst starting QB in the league but is not worth 26 M a year even in this market.

m

Baker might be looking at a back up spot at best

@perkdog said:

Baker might be looking at a back up spot at best

Yup, yup, yup...........................

He won't be a back up on the Browns

m