Home Metal Detecting
Options

Not 'metal' but I've never seen one of these before - 12,000 years old

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 15, 2022 1:47PM in Metal Detecting

Found in Massachusetts
12,000-Year-Old Mammoth Tooth Found by Fisherman Auctioned
The Sunday eBay auction of a 12,000-year-old, fossilized woolly mammoth tooth raised $10,300
According to MassLive, New England fisherman Tim Rider found the 11-inch fossil weighing seven pounds while fishing for scallops in Newburyport, Massachusetts, during December 2021.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    DgilbertDgilbert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

pretty ugly tooth/fossil, I wouldn't pay $10.30 for it....although I would sell it for the $10,300 :wink:

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
    instagram dgilbert008

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

And this is why I brush my teeth properly every day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a thrill to find something like that.... Given history of these critters, there should be more of these out there, buried or submerged. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

where theres one there should be more

• Options

.> @johnny9434 said:

where theres one there should be more

Woolly Mammoth Tooth Found In New Hampshire

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Fred Prince was more focused on fish than fossils when he found, and discarded, an interesting but unidentifiable object in a remote stream in Campton 10 years ago.

When he realized last winter that the black laminated-looking plate he had tossed aside was likely New Hampshire’s first woolly mammoth tooth, he vowed to find another. And that’s exactly what he did when the snow melted in April, searching for just a few hours about 2 miles from his first discovery.

“It was a long wait this winter, but I was really determined,” he said. “I jumped out as soon as there were south-facing slopes open.”

Prince, a Plymouth State University biology professor, searched two locations for about an hour each before moving on to an old gravel pit. About 20 minutes later, he spotted a familiar pattern and plucked the 1-pound prehistoric elephant tooth from the ground.

Prince sent photos to Larry Agenbroad, director of The Mammoth Site in South Dakota, who confirmed — in an email ending with three exclamation points— that it was a partial molar. He also sent part of the specimen to the University of Arizona’s mass spectrometry lab but found out last week that there wasn’t enough collagen with the tooth to estimate its age.

Woolly mammoths are thought to have died out around 10,000 years ago, though scientists think small groups of them lived longer in Alaska and on islands off Siberia. Mammoth remains are rare in New England — a tooth and tusk were found near Mt. Holly, Vermont, in 1848, and a partial skeleton was found in Scarborough, Maine, in 1959. The closest finding in New Hampshire was a tooth dredged from the sea in 2013 near the Isles of Shoals off Rye.

Prince said he wouldn’t be surprised if others had found woolly mammoth fossils but, like him, didn’t know what they were holding.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

A most interesting read 📚

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if I discarded a piece of an old mammoth tooth... I should brush up on what to look for, since I have no idea what it would look like. It would be an interesting find, for sure. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DgilbertDgilbert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I wonder if I discarded a piece of an old mammoth tooth... I should brush up on what to look for, since I have no idea what it would look like. It would be an interesting find, for sure. Cheers, RickO

I wouldn't no a mammoth tooth if it came up and bit me....also whale vomit, I here its worth a lot of $$ I wouldn't no what it looks like I tripped on it.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
    instagram dgilbert008

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty amazing find.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"