Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's your take on this slab? Seems to have caused quite a stir

This slab from our host seems to have caused quite a stir on another forum, some are saying its fake, due to not popping on pcgs website, but barcode is scanning.
Seems to be the reverse of the holder and the weak coin strike that is causing some to say it is fake.
I was wondering what do we here think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275202326044?hash=item4013563e1c:g:miQAAOSwVhRiKLSC&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338712040&toolid=10001&customid=15780X724604X567ce41a2b5b0d12440a304d38605691

Comments

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consensus is it's OK if you read the rest of the posts!

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

It shows up in the cert check, just no pictures?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/21849633

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin looks quite genuine to me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks good to me.

Vplite99
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the pictures, I would say authentic. Cheers, RickO

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is supposedly wrong with the coin's authenticity? What makes people think it is not genuine?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse PCGS decal looks "off," but I suppose it's OK, just like it was photographed(?).

peacockcoins

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look good to me.

Vplite99
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    The reverse PCGS decal looks "off," but I suppose it's OK, just like it was photographed(?).

Looks like goo residue from old dealer stickers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@PerryHall said:

@braddick said:

It isn't so much that- it is the shape of the decal. It appears slightly oblong, whereas I thought the decal is more straight. Again, probably just the way it is photographed.

peacockcoins

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

barcode scans.

i'd do a comp to the generations of holders in this range but i'm tied up doing some inventory. if someone else links it, we can run it down.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@PerryHall said:

@braddick said:

It isn't so much that- it is the shape of the decal. It appears slightly oblong, whereas I thought the decal is more straight. Again, probably just the way it is photographed.

Buy (or in this case, examine) the coin, not (just) the holder. The coin appears to be genuine.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@braddick said:

@PerryHall said:

@braddick said:

Buy (or in this case, examine) the coin, not (just) the holder. The coin appears to be genuine.

I've seen genuine problem coins placed in counterfeit PCGS slabs. I think there was an example of such an incident earlier this month with a 1945 Mercury dime featured here on the forums.
    With that stated, the above gold twenty does look MS62, so in this case, I think Mark is correct, and the coin (along with the holder/slab) is acceptable.

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file