Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2022-P Maya Angelou Quarters Error?

WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Friend of mine found several of these in an Uncirculated bank roll yesterday.

The I and T are similar to the In God We Rust Kansas quarters years ago in my opinion.

Post your opinions on if this is a significant find or just a common error since there may be plenty available.

The reverse pic is just to document it's a Maya Angelou quarter

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worn die, grease filled, not 100% sure as photos are a little blurry.

Either way, I might keep one but spend the rest.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minor partial debris filled die. Nothing special, but nothing wrong with keeping them if you like them.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

No WOW! factor. Worth 25 cents.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minor grease filled die error.

Worth a very small premium on eBay if any.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them - cool find!

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Worth at least $4 a quarter....😎

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384718316811

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2022 5:50AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Worth at least $4 a quarter....😎

That’s like 1600% of face value!

• Options

@291fifth said:

Wrong! Worth about $4

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@291fifth said:

Wrong! Worth about $4

Wow. The newbies are out in force. Hopefully they can find other newbies when it comes time to sell or they'll be in for an unpleasant surprise.

If uneducated collectors are actually paying this for minor partially filled die errors, I would get yours on eBay right away. You can use the proceeds to buy the truly rare errors.

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@291fifth said:

Wrong! Worth about $4

Wow. The newbies are out in force. Hopefully they can find other newbies when it comes time to sell or they'll be in for an unpleasant surprise.

If uneducated collectors are actually paying this for minor partially filled die errors, I would get yours on eBay right away. You can use the proceeds to buy the truly rare errors.

This is the kind of insulting comment that keeps the "newbies" from wanting to participate in the clubs and forums. 🙄

A coin is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it. Just because you disagree about the value doesn't give you the right to insult the buyer's reason for buying it or the seller for wanting to sell it. 🤨

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@Oldhoopster said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@291fifth said:

Wrong! Worth about $4

This is the kind of insulting comment that keeps the "newbies" from wanting to participate in the clubs and forums. 🙄

A coin is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it. Just because you disagree about the value doesn't give you the right to insult the buyer's reason for buying it or the seller for wanting to sell it. 🤨

It's not insulting, it's realistic. These are minor errors and varieties and can be found without much effort during coin roll hunting. Small die chips, light die cracks, partially (not even completely) filled dies all fall into this catagory.

There is nothing wrong with saving and collecting these types of errors. In fact it can be a good starting point to lifelong collecting interest. But to say these are worth premiums, well...I have to strongly disagree. Just because inexperienced collectors buy the Rick Tomaska or Mike Mezack infomercial hype, does that make those coins worth the price?? How is this different?

I'll put most of the blame on the "get rich from picket change" junk videos. Hype for clicks, not education. We should be helping new collectors learn and grow, not giving them false hopes and speculative info so as not to hurt their feelings. Just my opinion, but something that I Strongly believe in. You may feel differently, but that's ok.

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@Oldhoopster said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@291fifth said:

Wrong! Worth about $4

It's not insulting, it's realistic. These are minor errors and varieties and can be found without much effort during coin roll hunting. Small die chips, light die cracks, partially (not even completely) filled dies all fall into this catagory.

There is nothing wrong with saving and collecting these types of errors. In fact it can be a good starting point to lifelong collecting interest. But to say these are worth premiums, well...I have to strongly disagree. Just because inexperienced collectors buy the Rick Tomaska or Mike Mezack infomercial hype, does that make those coins worth the price?? How is this different?

I'll put most of the blame on the "get rich from picket change" junk videos. Hype for clicks, not education. We should be helping new collectors learn and grow, not giving them false hopes and speculative info so as not to hurt their feelings. Just my opinion, but something that I Strongly believe in. You may feel differently, but that's ok.

Thank you for a reasonable debate that could have turned ugly. 😎

I respect your opinion and I hope you respect mine as a "newbie" who got interested in this hobby 3 years ago with the W quarters.

Our ability to debate with civility, I believe is one of the reasons why our host created these forums.

Unfortunately there are a few members on here that cannot discuss a difference of opinion or take the time to educate "newbies" without resorting to insults or comments with an air of superiority that their opinion is gospel.

I was a victim of nasty comments and insults regarding my W quarters several times by these members. A couple of them earned a "block" from me but unfortunately I still have to read their comments if someone tags their "quote". Would be nice if our host could fix this issue. 😂🤣

Those members have made me defensive and quite frankly tired of having to read through their comments while trying to learn here on the forums and as such I was hesitant to post this discussion to begin with however our host encouraged me to not give up and let them win so here I am. Back again.....😉

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

W QuarterFreddie .....

I started just how you are starting.

I would find "repeatable" minor errors on coins that would photograph nicely.

I sold tens of thousand of dollars of these on Ebay.

I put every cent of profit into buying more expensive major error coins that others have found.

It seemed to work ;)

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2022 9:56AM

@WQuarterFreddie
    You are correct that some of the older collectors can be a bit brash when posting - mostly because after years in the hobby we see a lot of fraud, counterfeits, con artists and folks hyping modern coins that are not rare (BTW I also collect W 2020 quarters with the privy mark so feel bad someone gave you grief over those -in fact I applauded the mint for putting those quarters out in circulation) - but I think as a newbie it is also important not to show such thin skin and not take it all so personal. When us older collectors were coming up back in the day we occasionally got schooled by our elders at the time, and it is not intended to offend or hurt feelings but to make you a little wiser and a bit more constructive as a collector.
    Best of luck and keep us posted on your finds!
    Mr Grapes

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP coin shows a minor error... grease filled or worn dies... As such, it is an item of interest and different from the several million other quarters. For new collectors, it is a 'find' for sure, and an educational coin. It is a hobby, have fun. For the experienced among us, share knowledge, but gently. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

IT HAS A P!! YOU CAN SELL IT FOR LIKE $12 RIGHT NOW!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file