Home Sports Talk

Should the Cowboys take a chance on Antonio Brown?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Antonio Brown hinting that he wants to play for dem boys, should we take a chance on him?

Antonio Brown: Dallas Cowboy? Free agent woos Jerry Jones with thinly veiled message

Everything's bigger in Texas, so just imagine Antonio Brown playing for the Cowboys.

Brown's unceremonious exit from the Buccaneers (and the NFL at large) in December led to a he-said, he-said saga between the wideout and the team. Brown, though, is eyeing his next move in the league.

On a recent interview on "The Pivot Podcast," the free agent wideout hinted that he'd welcome a move to the Lone Star State for the 2022 NFL season, issuing a thinly veiled message to Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

"Maybe Jerry Jones thinks it looks sexy that I'm putting out all this motivation and all this hard work and encouragement," Brown said. "Maybe he want to harness some of that energy."

Brown also said that he has no plans to retire, and is instead eyeing a return to the field.

A fit with Dallas isn't likely or apparent: The Cowboys are currently working to cut salary, with an Amari Cooper trade or release reportedly imminent.

The team is also making an extension with Michael Gallup its first priority, per reports, meaning it's difficult to see where Brown fits in, unless he takes a very team-friendly deal.

In years past, though, Jones has been welcoming to players who have had their issues in the league. With that said, maybe Brown is a perfect fit, after all.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2022 11:19AM

They are going to cut Cooper so I would say yes

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

We could really use Brown, he kind of reminds me of Terrell Owens, he was like a son to me, those were great times.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many times does Brown need to wear out his welcome with NFL teams before they say enough is enough? I mean, just look at his departures from the Steelers,Raiders,Patriots and Bucs to see that this guy isn't worth the trouble that he'll eventually cause with your franchise. That first year in Tampa Bay he was worth the gamble and it paid off but I doubt anyone will go out of there way to stand up for this guy after how he treated Brady on the way out.

@erikthredd said:
    How many times does Brown need to wear out his welcome with NFL teams before they say enough is enough? I mean, just look at his departures from the Steelers,Raiders,Patriots and Bucs to see that this guy isn't worth the trouble that he'll eventually cause with your franchise. That first year in Tampa Bay he was worth the gamble and it paid off but I doubt anyone will go out of there way to stand up for this guy after how he treated Brady on the way out.

Money and performance both talk

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

True and Jerry Jones will probably enjoy the headlines that signing Brown may bring.

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

True and Jerry Jones will probably enjoy the headlines that signing Brown may bring.

I mean he is so ripe for a Cowboys or Raiders type signing

@perkdog said:

I mean he is so ripe for a Cowboys or Raiders type signing

I really doubt the Raiders go down that road again after all of this during one training camp:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Brown
    Oakland Raiders
    On March 9, 2019, the Steelers agreed to trade Brown to the Oakland Raiders in exchange for a third and a fifth-round selection in the 2019 NFL Draft. The deal became official on March 13, 2019.[201] Prior to the trade to Oakland, reports surfaced that the Steelers were "close to a deal" with the Buffalo Bills, but that the deal was canceled after Brown protested on social media.[202]

In Brown's introductory press conference with the Raiders, he said "I'm here to elevate everything around me. I'm here to just be a surge of energy, of positivity, and good force. A great teammate and to bring out the best of everyone around me cause we all know it's not just about me."[203] On August 3, Brown posted a picture of his heavily blistered feet on Instagram, which was later revealed to be frostbites to his feet due to not wearing proper footwear during a cryotherapy session. Brown's injury forced him to miss 10 out of 11 training camp practices with the Raiders.[204]

On August 9, he filed a grievance to continue wearing his old helmet even though it was banned, threatening to retire from football if he was forced to wear a new helmet. Despite Brown's pleas to continue wearing his old helmet, an arbitrator denied his request.[205] Brown eventually found a replacement for his old helmet, but it also did not meet the NFL's standards. Afterwards, he continued to not practice with the Raiders.[206] Brown filed a second grievance regarding his helmet on August 19, which he also lost.[207][208][209] On September 4, Brown chose to wear the Xenith Shadow helmet for the 2019 season.[210]

On September 4, Brown was fined a combined $54,000 by general manager Mike Mayock due to unexcused absences and missing two team practice sessions.[211] Brown posted the letter of his fines on Instagram, a move that was scrutinized around the league. The following day, Brown confronted Mayock and had a verbal altercation, with reports stating that Brown called Mayock a "cracker", which Brown later denied. It was also reported that Brown threatened to hit Mayock, and had to be held back by several teammates, including linebacker Vontaze Burfict. Afterwards, he punted a football and said to Mayock "fine me for that".[212][213]

On September 6, Brown showed up at a Raiders' team meeting and made an emotional apology for his actions.[214] When head coach Jon Gruden was asked if Brown would play in Week 1 against the Denver Broncos, he replied "That's the plan. Yes."[215] Later that day, Brown read a 20-second statement that read "I'm excited to be out here today. I apologized to my teammates and the organization. Enough talk, man. I'm excited to be out here with my teammates. I'm grateful for all the fans. I'm excited to be a part of the Raiders and see you guys soon."[216]

However, less than a day later on September 7, Brown demanded his release from the Raiders after they voided the guaranteed money in his contract.[217] Brown was released by the Raiders later that day, just hours before his 2019 salary would have become guaranteed.[218] Prior to his release, the Raiders fined Brown $215,000 due to his altercation with Mayock.[219]

All of that drama without playing a single game for the franchise lol. The new Raiders GM was with the Patriots during Brown's time in NE so he's seen this knucklehead's drama up close already.

If he does go to Dallas I will say this though, I'm sure that we're all going to enjoy Antonio's post-release tweet ripping Jerry Jones love for gloryhole on his way out of Dallas around week 3-4 later this year. B)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the talent. Hate the drama. Unfortunately you know 100% of the time you will get the drama with Brown eventually and it will be a major distraction. I give Mike Tomlin a lot of credit dealing with Brown and Bell at the same time for as long as he did. But once the line was crossed he cut bait. Should have ofted Big Ben as well

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Look, there's a lot of stories going on right now in the media about me, they're trying to paint this picture of me being some kind of Rick James superfreak, just don't believe everything you read!

• Absolutely not. They need to figure out the offensive line first.

They can't tell me how to run my town!

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaskalt07 said:
    Absolutely not. They need to figure out the offensive line first.

I would love to see them grab Trevor Penning with #24

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2022 4:30PM

This is a very good question......It got me to thinking.....Here's my thoughts......The Rams beat the Bucs 30-27 in the playoffs this year and went on to win the Super Bowl. It's quite possible that the Bucs lost that game because of the absence of Brown. He's an idiot but he is also a good football player I think the Rams beat the Bucs because Brown wasn't on the team for that game because most of all he's a self centered fool. So,.....YES!......By all means....I think the Cowboys should sign him.....DEFINITELY!..... Then, Carson Wentz, who The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant refers to as "Cry Baby" will lead his new team, whatever their name is, to the NFC East Championship and the Cowboys, as a result of signing the biggest dope in the league, will be a bigger mess than they already are now!.....my apologies to LandrysFedora.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cowboys, even without Cooper, have a great receiving corps in Lamb, Gallup, and Wilson.

@thisistheshow said:
    The Cowboys, even without Cooper, have a great receiving corps in Lamb, Gallup, and Wilson.

Ok I didn’t realize that Gallup was still there, I thought he was out as well

edited March 11, 2022 5:08PM

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

If the receiving Corp of Lamb, Gallup, and Wilson is so great...... Then maybe the Cowboys problem lies somewhere else.......like maybe they need a decent quarterback......... Prescott is nothing but Dallas Cowboy hype!......... can anyone say Tony Romo?.....same old same old.......Cowboy Hype!.....it's old and stale! The Cowboys are losers....period...end of conversation.

I've thought about this for a while today, and I'll think about signing Brown. I am a man of 2nd chances, or in this case 4th, 5th, or whatever chance Brown is on now.

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Ok I didn’t realize that Gallup was still there, I thought he was out as well

Gallup is a free agent but there is a good chance Dallas signs him now but he won't be cheap. The Cowboys did re sign Noah Brown to a one year deal and franchised Dalton Schultz

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, duh. of course they should. this is the Dallas Cowboys we're talking about here. everyone thinks JJ is all about winning, but, in truth, he's not. his modus operandi has always been to make sure that his franchise remains on the tip of every tongue. and what better way to do that than by adding toxicity and creating an utter pop tarts show via a certifiably nuts 34-yr-old-to-be wideout whose best days are running a 4.3 from the rearview mirror

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:
    ......... everyone thinks JJ is all about winning, but, in truth, he's not. his modus operandi has always been to make sure that his franchise remains on the tip of every tongue......

BINGO!

I think you're all missing the most important thing here, we have plenty of money, we have plenty of media attention, but there's one thing we can always use.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have a good, contending team, you don't need or want Antonio Brown. This year he cut an ran on the Bucks when they could have used him the most. He's had more than three strikes. It's time for him to retire.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited March 12, 2022 8:10AM

He has some choppers huh lol. 🦷

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely not.. If there is locker room that can't sustain turbulence the Cowboys are it.

@perkdog said:

He has some choppers huh lol. 🦷

Yes, how rude of me, I won't let that happen again.

@thisistheshow said:

Looks like Wilson is headed to Miami on a 3 year 22.5M deal with 12.5m guaranteed

m