Home Metal Detecting
Options

I wonder if there are any coins on this ship

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The New York Times
Endurance, Ernest Shackleton’s Ship, Lost in 1915, Is Found in Antarctica
Henry Fountain - 3h ago

The wreck of Endurance has been found in the Antarctic, 106 years after the historic ship was crushed in pack ice and sank during an expedition by the explorer Ernest Shackleton.

A team of adventurers, marine archaeologists and technicians located the wreck at the bottom of the Weddell Sea, east of the Antarctic Peninsula, using undersea drones. Battling sea ice and freezing temperatures, the team had been searching for more than two weeks in a 150-square-mile area around where the ship went down in 1915.

Endurance, a 144-foot, three-masted wooden ship, holds a revered place in polar history because it spawned one of the greatest survival stories in the annals of exploration. Its location, nearly 10,000 feet down in waters that are among the iciest on Earth, placed it among the most celebrated shipwrecks that had not been found.

The discovery of the wreck was announced Wednesday in a statement by the search expedition, Endurance22.

“We have made polar history with the discovery of Endurance, and successfully completed the world’s most challenging shipwreck search,” said John Shears, the expedition’s leader.

The first images of the ship since those taken by Shackleton’s photographer, Frank Hurley, revealed parts of the vessel in astonishing detail. An image of the stern showed the name “ENDURANCE” above a five-pointed star, a holdover from before Shackleton bought the ship, when it was named Polaris. Another showed the rear deck and the ship’s wheel.

much interesting info about this here https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/endurance-ernest-shackleton-s-ship-lost-in-1915-is-found-in-antarctica/ar-AAUOYoW?ocid=msedgntp

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 10,000 feet of cold water, I doubt anyone will be salvaging anything from that wreck. Plus it is a historical site as well now. I believe the manner in which it was abandoned, precluded any treasure being left aboard anyway. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

a nice bottle of rum would help out, just saying B)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd bet there is some money in a safe inside the Captain's cabin. Are we ever gonna see it, probably not. Hughes is dead and the Glomar Explorer is no more. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I agree @Namvet69

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I read that correctly... The crew had ample time to remove all valuables prior to the eventual sinking. So it does not make sense that they would leave cash, jewelry etc. in a safe. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not, but if there are coins on board, I'll bet they stay there.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too difficult location on the planet for recovery operation. IMHO. It COULD be done, but at what cost?

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    I agree @Namvet69

So do i