logger7logger7 Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 6, 2022 5:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Date: 3/3/2022
Offense: Lost/Stolen
Incident location: Various Locations
Investigating Agency: FedEx,UPS,

The following parcels have been reported lost/stolen:

FedEx

A package being sent from Bayside, NY to Gardner, MA has been reported lost/stolen in transit. The package contained 5 raw $20 gold pieces dated 1891, 1899, 1904, 1908nm, 1925 and $97 in 40% halves. The package was last scanned in Middletown, CT. Case # 55562557
A package being sent from Torrance, CA to Mineral Springs, NC has been reported lost/stolen. The package contained set a set of 3 2016-w 100th anniversary24K gold centennial collection NGC/PCGS SP70. Tracking shows it arrived in Mineral Springs, NC but was never delivered.

UPS

A package being shipped from Islip, NY to Kyle, TX has been reported lost/stolen. The package contained 17 raw one ounce gold eagles. The tracking indicates the package arrived in Kyle, TX and out for delivery.

Anyone with information contact;

Doug Davis
817-723-7231
Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

Also a couple other thefts:

Offense: Vehicle Burglary
Incident location: Lordsburg, NM
Investigating Lordsburg PD
REPORT NUMBER: DR22-074

Details:

A subject traveling in his motorhome stopped at a Love’s truck stop and while inside some unknown person/persons entered his vehicle and gained access to a safe containing coins, gold, bullion and jewelry.

STOLEN PROPERTY:

2 1881 $5.00 gold coins
9 1 0z Krugerrand gold coins
20 1 oz Mexican Silver coins
11 Mexican gold 50 peso coins
1 Australian Gold Kangaroo coin
2 Chinese Panda 1oz gold coins
5 Canadian Maple Leaf 1 oz gold coins
6 Gold Ingots 1oz
1 Silver Ingot 10oz 279.00
Canadian Silver Polar Bear coin
7 U.S. Silver dollars dates 1879 to 1924
1 Platinum and Sapphire Bracelet
Emerald tennis bracelet

No other information is available at this time.

Incident location: Timonium, MD
Investigating Agency: Maryland State Police
REPORT NUMBER: Not Available

Details:

A theft occurred during the recent coin show held at the Maryland State Fairgrounds, Timonium, MD. A male and female, described as being Hispanic, asked to look at several coins at a dealers table. The suspects picked out a number of coins to purchase but stated they did not have enough money with them, although they displayed a large amount of $100 bills. The suspects stated they would return in half an hour with the additional money. Upon placing the tray back in the case, the dealer observed that a total of four coins valued at three thousand dollars was missing. The suspects never returned.

The victim advised the female looked like the suspect in a recent theft sent out by NCIC that occurred in Fort Oglethorpe, GA.

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

That last trick sounds familiar. Flashing $100 bills seems to be a clue that something is wrong.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically, NONE of those are "postal" thefts.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad to this... I hope recoveries are made. And that couple that works the coin shows apprehended, tried, convicted and imprisoned. Cheers, RickO

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    I live in Va. and have driven several times to PA. and Long Island for high end deliveries as the seller b/c I couldn't bear the loss/theft of a high end vintage baseball card I sold..... in all several instances I didn't mind the 8-10 hours of total driving time it required for the peace of mind .... These were cards in excess of 30k .... I have had items lost and been reimbursed thru my Amex on things I have purchased ... all it takes is one time to be out several grand to take matters into your own hands.... the criminals are everywhere with all kinds of detection capability whether its the employees themselves who understand how to manipulate the system or sophisticated thieves outside the postal system.... If somebody wants something badly enough and puts their minds to it .... we are victims. If you are sending something make sure it is signature confirmation... that detail has covered me for 15-20k in purchases that were lost.... IF there is no signature there is no delivery. I didn't even bother dealing with ebay...I went straight to Amex for the items I purchased that did not show up.

For the last couple years signature confirmation is up not actually done. The delivery person is supposed to visually confirm you got the package, but's just honor system and not always done.

As an occasional eBay seller, please do bother dealing with eBay and not immediately filing a credit card dispute. Thats a good way to make things a hassle. Many times something marked as delivered shows up in the next day or two. Certainly filing a credit card dispute can be a prudent action, but not as an initial action.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had several medications, numismatic and sports cards packages delivered over the past 2 years and have not had to sign for any of them. Left on the front porch. Thank God for the door bell cameras. Recently even tracking numbers aren't always the best answer.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another one:

Date: 5/18/2022
    Type of Incident: Postal Theft
    Investigating Agency: USPS

Details:
    On May 16,2022 a package was sent priority express mail from California to Hammond, LA. On May 18,2022 the package was delivered to the recipient opened with the package cut open re-taped and contents removed. The coin pictured was stolen.

Anyone with information contact:

Doug Davis817-723-7231

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last three credit card transactions were all fraud. Plus I had a guy send me a fake check last week (no I did not ship). It is one of the things that comes with the territory of being a coin dealer. Everyone is always trying to steal from you.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Here is another one:

Details:
    On May 16,2022 a package was sent priority express mail from California to Hammond, LA. On May 18,2022 the package was delivered to the recipient opened with the package cut open re-taped and contents removed. The coin pictured was stolen.

Doug Davis817-723-7231

Why in the world anyone mails coins of this value that are not Registered Mail is beyond me!

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

@logger7 said:
    Here is another one:

Details:

Doug Davis817-723-7231

Why in the world anyone mails coins of this value that are not Registered Mail is beyond me!

Third party insurance companies may require shipping by Express Mail.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AMRC said:
    My last three credit card transactions were all fraud. Plus I had a guy send me a fake check last week (no I did not ship). It is one of the things that comes with the territory of being a coin dealer. Everyone is always trying to steal from you.

i made a post in another thread about being paranoid because of the huge amount of people out there working to get something for nothing and some days i feel a over paranoid, then i see plenty of people i think are honest and aren't lying about how many times someone tries to rip them off. ><

glad you have refined your systems to circumnavigate these many fraudulent attempts and i distinctly recall you've made MANY posts about this over the past decade or so, if not longer.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@golden said:

@logger7 said:
    Here is another one:

Details:

Doug Davis817-723-7231

You nailed it. Required Express with signature. Any other way and the package is not covered.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

@logger7 said:
    Here is another one:

Details:

Doug Davis817-723-7231

And why doesn’t everyone use reinforced, water-activated paper tape is beyond me. Vastly more secure than plastic tape.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

mails coins of this value that are not Registered Mail is beyond me!

And why doesn’t everyone use reinforced, water-activated paper tape is beyond me. Vastly more secure than plastic tape.

Have any idea how hard it is to find? I got some years ago and use it sparingly because it is a complete PITA to buy.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:

@pruebas said:

Have any idea how hard it is to find? I got some years ago and use it sparingly because it is a complete PITA to buy.

While I hate to recommend them, Uline carries a good selection and reasonable prices. I use a lot of it, so I buy a case at a time.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@SaorAlba said:

@pruebas said:

While I hate to recommend them, Uline carries a good selection and reasonable prices. I use a lot of it, so I buy a case at a time.

Tons of it available on ebay!

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

no tape is knife proof

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2022 7:24AM

Not knife proof, but the last expensive coin I purchased from Witter, took me 15 minutes to extract the coin from its multiple layers of packaging and I was using a box cutter. It was quite remarkable.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@pruebas said:

@SaorAlba said:

@pruebas said:

Tons of it available on ebay!

It's easy to find if you are willing to buy it online.
    Here are options from McMaster-carr, they are a bit pricy but reliable and fast. 450ft lasts a long time.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/water-activated-tape/

Collector, occasional seller

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@golden said:

@logger7 said:
    Here is another one:

Details:

Doug Davis817-723-7231

If you ship Registered ,you do not need third party insurance.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    If you ship Registered ,you do not need third party insurance.

If you're already paying for an insurance policy to cover your shipments, you don't need to pay the post office too.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2022 12:33AM

Everything coin related goes out registered mail insured and I get free tracking texts from the post office

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file