Home Precious Metals
Options

Be careful buying shipwreck gold or other precious metals

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold bars sunk in 1740's and brought up in 1970's seized from U.S. auction and given to France.

https://abcnews-mirrored.com/2022/03/03/gold-bars-stolen-from-1746-shipwreck-returned-to-france-from-the-us-after-decades-long-investigation/

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

seven artifacts returned to france including 5 gold bars , a gold coin and a human skull.

My first thought went back to Tommy Thompson, and the SS central America. Tommy was the lead man who defrauded investors by keeping a large portion of the recovered Treasure.

Tommy is still sitting in Jail last I heard with a stipulation that if he tells where he hid the loot, they;ll let him out. its been 7 years...

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hunting these artifacts since the early 80’s ??? Who pays their wages ?

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Seems ridiculous after over 200 years that it could still be claimed. Cheers, RickO

I was thinking the same thing.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

Uh oh... I have a 'shipwreck coin' but so far no claims have been made... :# Can't imagine how many other people would be indicted if said coins were traceable?

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

No problem, they all were buried on Oak Island before the ships were wrecked. :D

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this mean my Admiral Gardner is “illegal 🤨”. And may need to be repatriated?😸. How about my $5 ?🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    BeeManBeeMan Posts: 361 ✭✭✭

Why do people who find stashes of coins or sunken treasure insist on going to the press? I wouldn't tell anybody.

Watch the mirror count the lines
    The battle scars of all the good times
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BeeMan said:
    Why do people who find stashes of coins or sunken treasure insist on going to the press? I wouldn't tell anybody.

If all of a sudden a bunch of raw 1850's double eagles show up at PCGS with obvious indications that they have been exposed to salt water for a long time someone is going to start asking questions.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin