Home Precious Metals
Options

Best way to store silver bars

lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2022 7:20PM in Precious Metals

Bought my first silver bar today. Up until now I have been exclusively a coin collector. Anyway, I bought a 10oz APMEX bar in the original plastic. Is it best to leave it like that ? Or put it in an airtite holder ? It looks sealed , but has a tiny bit of tarnish on the corner , so I assume the package may have a small pin hole or something somewhere.

Comments

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2022 8:11PM

In My Opinion,
    Leave it in the Original packaging when possible even if it has an open corner.
    You can also put the Original packaging in a ziploc type bag as a secondary buffer to keep them more airtight.
    Bars aren't that big of a deal as you can always dip them to clean them up if they tarnish.
    Then some type of storage box.

• Options
    doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

I keep them in pvc or original holders that they came in. I've heard from people to leave them raw and temperature controlled. I use a recharagable silica canister to absorb moister and prevent tarnishing and in an airtight container. I recommend at least the silica and preferably an airtight location to store them. Same with any precious metal really.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

.999 silver doesn't seem to be at risk from vinyl / PVC.
    Apmex bars are well known, but I don't foresee a time when they're "collectible". I'd be perfectly fine leaving them in the original pouch even with the small hole.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their silver bullion. Just give them a little bite to make sure it’s right. And stack em high. Congrats on the bar
    Martin

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally agree with @TomB.... Convert them to gold. Less storage area, no tarnish. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the small zip lock bags and then carefully stacked in an ammo box for the rarer bars, etc . Some I just stack them on each other in the ammo box...

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s one box:

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

for 10 oz bars and slabbed coins I use the 3 X 4 double thick 4 mil zip lock bag.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar