Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

price guide influences

Here are the circumstances and what influence would they may have on the PCGS price guide.

one Jefferson 5c PCGS graded. population 35 in this grade, 2 higher, not counting full steps
two completed sales in last year, one at $400, one at $575
price guide lists as $285
the same coin that went for 400 last June I just got for 203
last years realized auction prices did not increase value in price guide, will my lower winning bid lower the guide value?
Did I get a good deal (I'm happy it completes a set I was working on) or did I set the bar lower and ensuing deals may be based on what I paid?

as an aside, is this the right forum? I'm still relatively new to posting on these forums

Comments

• Options
    CentSearcherCentSearcher Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what PCGS uses to update their price guide, but when it comes to realized auction prices, it really depends on whether the right buyer notices and bids on the auction. A lot of the bidders nowadays are flippers, who will only bid to a certain amount in order to resell it for profit. Usually, a coin is only going to reach previous high auction prices if you have more than one bidder who wants the coin for their personal collection and is willing to pay up for it.

Hope this helps, I'm sure someone else on here will have more knowledge concerning how the PCGS price guides work

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

It's like buying a classic car. If you have a ton of money, you'll pay whatever you have to for it. If you are average joe, you have to count your change to make a bid, you can only go so far.

Dan
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

@CentSearcher said:
    I'm not sure what PCGS uses to update their price guide, but when it comes to realized auction prices, it really depends on whether the right buyer notices and bids on the auction. A lot of the bidders nowadays are flippers, who will only bid to a certain amount in order to resell it for profit. Usually, a coin is only going to reach previous high auction prices if you have more than one bidder who wants the coin for their personal collection and is willing to pay up for it.

Hope this helps, I'm sure someone else on here will have more knowledge concerning how the PCGS price guides work

What he said exactly.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

How often does PCGS update the price guides ? Reason I ask, recently paid moon money for the last one I needed to complete a set I've been working on for close to three years. First time this particular coin became available since the spring of 2019. I paid 95% over guide ( Pop 9/2 ) This particular sale still hasn't showed in our hosts " auction prices realized " section. Yet the guide price just dropped 3%. Thoughts ???

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

The Set Registry current pricing for My own Inventory of 1050 coins shows at least 70 coins from 2016-present that have never had a current price assigned...

Which leads me to believe that is some cases the Pricing Guru is behind by 6 years

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold