Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Purchase 1692 William & Mary Shilling

So I just received this and took some photos to try and share it. It was a difficult coin for me to price and difficult to decide if I had overpaid. I was very pleased with the piece so have decided to keep it but I did want to ask others here for their feedback on a coin like this. There's just 12 graded between PCGS and NGC. It has few comps and even fewer at higher grade. How do you determine a price on a piece like that which doesn't seem to have a huge collector market but is obviously a scarce coin.
Or did I just mis something else all together?

Would love any feedback.

Thanks!

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attractive piece Jon

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the W&M shilling, it is all about the strike and originality. These have a relief whereby much of the hair detail is weak and incomplete. Look at the fields in assigning the most appropriate grade. These are very difficult to find in high grades. Your example is one terrific example. My experience is that high grade W&M shillings are more difficult than the half crowns- especially the 1689. There are collectors that seek a W&M shilling type coin which accounts for some demand.

I don't think one can use the NGC-PCGS pops as a guide to rarity as many collectors in the UK are just not into TPG. Pricing is tough with a significant range. High end examples are worth multiples of what lower grade example fetch. I mean solid original AU55-58 examples could easily bring $1500-$2000 where a lower grade VF20-25 may be in the 275-300 range.

I would definitely keep the example you have- there is not much of chance of finding a better example any time soon.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    With the W&M shilling, it is all about the strike and originality. These have a relief whereby much of the hair detail is weak and incomplete. Look at the fields in assigning the most appropriate grade. These are very difficult to find in high grades. Your example is one terrific example. My experience is that high grade W&M shillings are more difficult than the half crowns- especially the 1689. There are collectors that seek a W&M shilling type coin which accounts for some demand.

I don't think one can use the NGC-PCGS pops as a guide to rarity as many collectors in the UK are just not into TPG. Pricing is tough with a significant range. High end examples are worth multiples of what lower grade example fetch. I mean solid original AU55-58 examples could easily bring $1500-$2000 where a lower grade VF20-25 may be in the 275-300 range.

I would definitely keep the example you have- there is not much of chance of finding a better example any time soon.

Thanks a lot for the kind words. I am very happy with it considering the lack of what's available. I did hope for an AU example but this will do for quite awhile I am sure.

As far as the pops go I do understand this is a small percentage of the coins that exist considering those raw in the UK and elsewhere. But simply looking at the pops of 1692 vs 1693.

PCGS: 4
    NGC: 10 (my prior count slightly off due to a variety I missed)

total: 14

PCGS: 17
    NGC: 37

total: 54

My main consideration for the price being whether or not the 1692 should bring more than the 1693. Considering there's likely a lack of collectors that care to own both dates of this type rather than just a single example I would guess it would just be priced as the 1693s are.

Again thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated!

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options

The 1692 is clearly the better date and should bring more. This is an example of how some better dates are often overlooked because the focus is on obtaining a type coin. Sticking with Shillings... good luck trying to find a 1751.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Shilling. Love the surfaces and color on it.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet!

Tom

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Definitely has everything you want in a coin that old; good strike, eye appeal and honest wear and surfaces.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1693 is much weaker in the center portraits and is also graded 45. Your coin is much better looking.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb coin congrats!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

nice result... tough coin for all the reasons previously discussed