Home U.S. Coin Forum

Amazing how many of the BU coins in my Dansco 8113 album have toned.

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 28, 2022 6:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently got my 8113 Dansco out and couldn't believe how many of the BU coins were now golden, while the Proof coins have not changed. Crazy golden hue over many of the BU coins. Love it. My Littleton Buffalo Nickel album which is quite old has not changed or toned at all. The Dansco album is older but not that much. Have others faced the same results? Please note, I have a tough time with the plastic slides reflecting light.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Jefferson nickels are the only set that I don't have in a Dansco and they are still in the Whitman album with a sort of a slightly antiquated look to it after I replaced most of the coins.

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I recently got my 8113 Dansco out and couldn't believe how many of the BU coins were now golden, while the Proof coins have not changed. Crazy golden hue over many of the BU coins. Love it. My Littleton Buffalo Nickel album which is quite old has not changed or toned at all. The Dansco album is older but not that much. Have others faced the same results?
    Jim

Funny, I pulled my Proof Washington Quarters out today (stored in an album) and all have toned, some very nicely. First time I've seen the set in a number of years. The 1952 is amazing. I'd image but can't do proofs worth anything.

Keep em a toning!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

They've not toned greatly, just a mild golden hue. Here's the first two obverse pages. It's just odd none of the proofs have toned. I guess the proofs are newer than the earlier Jeffs enough to not have toned as of yet. Then my proof set from 50 thru 76 in a capital holder hasn't toned either.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to read that you’re appreciative of the toning. I’ve had the same with my BU Peace dollars to the point that it concerns me some.
    A little golden around the edges is ok, but beyond that, I’m not wild about it.
    To each their own i guess.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had the same thing to some extent. The most dramatic has been on some late 50's and early 60's proofs -- when I did my set, I went as far as the 2007 business strike coins and then filled up the rest of the album with early proofs. My 1957-1962 coins were all from the same source, and were basically white when I put them in -- and now they have very pretty target toning with sea green, blue, and magenta. The others that have changed have mostly been the 90's and early 2000's business strikes, which went in white and are now somewhat golden. The earlier coins that were toned already when they went in have seemed to stay pretty stable.

mirabela
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note to self..... Do not store coins in albums... they will tarnish!! :D Actually, I have albums of Kennedy and Franklin halves.... Have not looked at them for years... Better do that, might need dipping. :D;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file