Non reflective
No mint mark
Rim squared like
Color right

Please someone tell me your thoughts.

Tagged:

Answers

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it trace to Eva Adams with mint documents and auction records? If not, I'm going to essentially quote my reply in another thread about this - Let's just put it this way: no TPG will ever certify a 1964 coin a SMS without it tracing to Eva Adam's estate. (She was the director in 1964 and all of the known SMS coins for that year have been traced to her). This means that no 1964 SMS coin, if they do truly exist, will ever be found in circulation. It's not going to happen, and if it does, I'll be shocked.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

You do NOT have a 1964 SMS cent.

• @FlyingAl said:
    Does it trace to Eva Adams with mint documents and auction records? If not, I'm going to essentially quote my reply in another thread about this - Let's just put it this way: no TPG will ever certify a 1964 coin a SMS without it tracing to Eva Adam's estate. (She was the director in 1964 and all of the known SMS coins for that year have been traced to her). This means that no 1964 SMS coin, if they do truly exist, will ever be found in circulation. It's not going to happen, and if it does, I'll be shocked.

Is it worth anything I don't know if you can see the pictures or not

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have no pictures and you do NOT have a SMS cent. It is worth one cent. Clearly it does not trace to Eva Adams.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's worth one-cent.

If you don't believe us, please do yourself a favor and search the forum discussions for "1964 SMS" coins and you will see dozens of threads started by new collectors or non-collectors who have heard, read or seen a YouTube video on the subject and believe they have hit the jackpot. None of these are SMS coins and that is because only those coins that came directly from the Director of the Mint in 1964 (and have the paperwork to prove it) are accepted as SMS. That is an absolute requirement.

You can be reasonable or you can be in denial. It's up to you.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

You do not have full membership yet

You can’t post pics yet

You can link to photos on another web server

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@summerbeair66 .... Welcome aboard. You can trust implicitly the inputs posted above. You will be able to post pictures in a few days... However, without the traceability to Eva Adams, your coin is definitely NOT an SMS. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is promoting this SMS nonsense online? There seems to be at least one post of this type on these boards each week.

All glory is fleeting.
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Who is promoting this SMS nonsense online? There seems to be at least one post of this type on these boards each week.

Same people who promote the 1975 dimes, 1943 copper cents, etc.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are so many videos of the 1964 SMS sets/coins on Youtube, urging people they can still find these coins, it's ridiculous. There are also videos describing why it's impossible to find any raw 64 MSM coins in normal collections but for some reason nobody wants to believe those................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is both good and bad information out there. What you choose to believe is up to you.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is most likely a satin-finish proof. See my post: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1037045/1964-proof-coin-finishes

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file