Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Impulse purchase! Chicago Expo Medal

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this last week at a local favorite shop and just couldn't help myself...
Seems like it's been well preserved with original surfaces... $40 bucks.

Comments

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the official medal which features a strong Art Deco design. You can see Soldier Field & the Adler Planetarium on the map on the reverse. Which size is it - 1 1/2" diameter, 2 1/4" or 2 3/4"?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2022 11:38PM

Great medal designed by Emil Robert Zettler.

There's only a bit of information for him on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Zettler

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2022 5:19AM

@tokenpro said:
    That's the official medal which features a strong Art Deco design. You can see Soldier Field & the Adler Planetarium on the map on the reverse. Which size is it - 1 1/2" diameter, 2 1/4" or 2 3/4"?

It's quite striking in person. It's 1 1/2" in diameter...

Thanks for the Wiki link @Zoins

One description of the Chicago fair noted that the world, "then still mired in the malaise of the Great Depression, could glimpse a happier not-too-distant future, all driven by innovation in science and technology." Fair visitors saw the latest wonders in rail travel, automobiles, architecture and cigarette-smoking robots.[2] The exposition "emphasized technology and progress, a utopia, or perfect world, founded on democracy and manufacturing.

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭

very cool...nice buy

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... Nice medal... and fair price..... Thanks for showing us. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is even one other variety- I have not seen the variety in all sizes- but the 2 3/4" exists with a 1934 date on the reserve in the area that is Lake Michigan. It is more of a challenge to find.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file