Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Offering strangers a choice between a free $20 bill or a free 1 oz gold coin ...

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2022 8:35AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Fascinating ...

Funny, later in the video he dropped it to a $10 bill thinking he might get more nibbles on the gold. Didn't work! This clearly says something about the way the public views gold (as basically worthless).

https://youtu.be/LN55tfvAUWI

Comments

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating indeed. The last offer was down to $5. It would have been interesting to see, 1. What happened when a person answered "gold", and 2. the percentages - if 75% of the people took the cash that's one form of OMG!, but if only 10% of the people took cash it's just a, "some people ...." reaction. At least for me. Neat post.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, these kinds of videos are more for entertainment than anything. Gets a good reaction and lots of views.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s impressive how stupid most people are. Amazing !!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t watch the video, but people might be suspicious of the gold because of those ads for “tribute” gold coins that are “layered” in real 24 karat gold for $9.99 that I see from time to time in various places. Maybe most people assume that’s all gold coins are worth

Mr_Spud

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

People think videos like this are real just like they think Reality TV is real. It’s all entertainment. Enjoy the laugh.

• Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2022 5:37PM

I've seen Mark Dice do this before with I believe it was a 1oz silver bar and some kind of dollar candy bar, finely one guy say's for real? Mark says Yep! the guy grabs the silver bar :D
    A couple of years ago I was a subscriber to his channel.
    Notice most of the age group that grabs the money or the candy bar, this generation or a good part of it is LOST to any form of reality..

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2022 5:57PM

@pcgscacgold said:
    People think videos like this are real just like they think Reality TV is real. It’s all entertainment. Enjoy the laugh.

No, I'm pretty certain Mark Dice really does this, now he's pretty kin on where to do it and the age group.
    Mark doesn't do stuff like cutting open a car battery to recover stacks of AA batteries.
    Mark, doesn't have to do satire videos for views.
    When he's joking you know it.

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to take the one ounce gold coin until I found out it wasn't slabbed by PCGS and it didn't have a CAC sticker so I had to settle for the twenty dollar bill. :'(

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I was going to take the one ounce gold coin until I found out it wasn't slabbed by PCGS and it didn't have a CAC sticker so I had to settle for the twenty dollar bill. :'(

... And it was turning green, and a magnet stuck to it.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since either one would be free, and require no investment on my part...why not take a chance on the gold coin? If not real, no loss... If real.. Winner, winner. $20 does not go far.... Guess it is the gambler in my psyche... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed Ricko. $20 doesn’t even interest the neighborhood kids to shovel the walkway and they won’t get the lawnmower out of the shed for $20.
    I, like you,had a paper route, we worked cheap 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

This reminds me of laughing at kids when you say would you like this nice big nickel or this tiny little dime. Their response is obvious.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Agreed Ricko. $20 doesn’t even interest the neighborhood kids to shovel the walkway and they won’t get the lawnmower out of the shed for $20.

Cheap. My first job was a caddy I was under 16. You would go and wait your turn to hopefully get called. $3.00 for 18 holes. My first real job was dishwasher at a restaurant $1.25 an hour. For you young guys thinking this must be to 1920’s it was the 60’s.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Cheap. My first job was a caddy I was under 16. You would go and wait your turn to hopefully get called. $3.00 for 18 holes. My first real job was dishwasher at a restaurant $1.25 an hour. For you young guys thinking this must be to 1920’s it was the 60’s.

Yeah, but you were getting paid in silver!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file