Home U.S. Coin Forum

Brockage Lincoln Cent NewP- Is It Real?

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2022 12:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I got this from a box of cheap errors at the San Antonio show earlier today. It appears to be early-stage brockage from a die cap. No date, but the reverse looks to be RDV-001, which makes it 1959 thru 1968. I haven't owned one of these before and am hoping the error experts can weigh in- it is real? Based on others I've seen, my gut is telling me it's real.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally real. Nice score!

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks faked to me.

The reverse should not be wavy.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:
    Totally real. Nice score!

That was my first thought.

It might be.

Looks funny to me.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a second strike brockage, it's not a perfect mirror but the image has not stretched much from the first strike. The dished rim on the reverse is the biggest thing telling me it's real, on fakes you would see remains of the struck rim with elements pushed into it.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say it looks genuine.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd give it a thumbs up myself.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you scored a real one. Nice!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely real

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt, as others have said. The reverse is in undamaged condition. The obverse has that dished appearance, common with these types. And the surfaces of the obverse are smooth without hairlines, meaning it wasn’t ground or manipulated after striking.

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

I think the "waviness" is just the obverse design starting to bleed thru the cap; I think it's real.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me. They do start to get wavy as the die cap wears. You can see the outline of Lincoln starting to show through.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... another brockage error today.... Nice one... Though I am not an expert on these, it seems the above inputs have reached a consensus, and conclude it is real. Cheers, RickO

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, everyone!!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file