Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps Full set ID

I have a full sealed set of Topps Baseball Cards from the late 80's or early '90's and the box doesn't identify the set. The receipt that I attached to identify it has faded and is extremely faint. I bought them at JC Penney and the only label on the plain cardboard box reads:
CAT. No: 672-2763 SKU No: 0000 below that in very small numbers it reads: 5-398-68-01-7
Anyone have an idea what year this might be with those only clues?

Comments

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no images or any other potential identifiers on the box?

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

The product code suggests 1987.

• Options

AFLfan: I've described all identifiers that exist.
    PaulMaul: Thanks. What in the code indicates this?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jbogie59 said:
    AFLfan: I've described all identifiers that exist.
    PaulMaul: Thanks. What in the code indicates this?

The final digit in the code (in this case, 7) represents the year of manufacture of the product. However, this is not conclusive, as sometimes boxes or wrappers were reused, so it is not impossible the box could have been reused in say 1988.

• Options

-Ok. The box doesn't have any sign of being used and the packing tape has never been ripped off or cut. I'll go with "pretty sure it could be..." Lol
    Of those I have collected they were around the era from 87-98.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2022 11:36PM

@Jbogie59 said:
    -Ok. The box doesn't have any sign of being used and the packing tape has never been ripped off or cut. I'll go with "pretty sure it could be..." Lol
    Of those I have collected they were around the era from 87-98.

@PaulMaul means that Topps wasn't always scrupulous about discarding materials after the year of issue. There are cases of completely legitimate wax packs in wrappers that didn't get used up a couple of years prior. Moreso even of boxes.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2022 12:20AM

@Jbogie59 said:
    I bought them at JC Penney

you bought trading cards, in a sealed box, recently.......from JC Penney?? I'm assuming that if you bought them originally, years ago and have the receipt, you would've known what you bought back then, so this was a recent "blind" purchase.

myslabs.to/smzcards