Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Prices at last nights Heritage Long Beach Auction

Did anyone else notice the very soft prices realized for yesterday's Heritage auction? I was able to get a couple of great buys IMO, and wish I would have bought more. My only thought is many people were glued to the current events in Ukraine? or is the market starting to soften? Take a look there were some great buys made.
https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=3183+790+231+4294940872+2680

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't buy anything. So it wasn't cheap enough.

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm tracking some classic silver commems for tonight's auction and the prices on the good stuff is screaming high

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:
    I'm tracking some classic silver commems for tonight's auction and the prices on the good stuff is screaming high

Yes. I took a look at those also. Didn't seem cheap. Same for 20th century nickel type and proofs. Prices seemed solid. I'm not sure what sector the OP was tracking.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

The early coins I was tracking looked solid. I was tempted by the Chain, but the edge bump put me off (just a thing with me) after I viewed it in hand. Nice smooth coin tho. I thought the price was solid.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a coin tonight (Friday), and paid MUCH higher than the price guides, but in line with recent auction sales.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

A few coins I was watching went for bonkers money. One went for 160% of comparable APR, the other went for more than 200% of comparable APR.

One was more reasonable, but I ended up being the underbidder, and was still a stretch.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was outbid before I bid!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not buying lately, they bidding stuff up too high. If can’t buy it right not a buyer.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had two 1795 Draped Bust dollars on my tracked lots list to see what they would bring. I had thought about bidding on one of them, but given the way auctions have gone for me lately, I bought a similarly graded piece from a well known dealer. I was right. Both sold for more than I paid in the retail market, one of them, the more original looking piece, for a lot more, $9,600. For those two items, the prices didn’t seem weak to me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends. I was bidding on two coins for my 100 greatest collection. I was able to buy a $1 1861D for less than my max but lost to a cut bid on a very strong bid on the $20 1861S Paquet.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only bid on one last night. Underbidder. I bid 50% over the last auction price realized in 2020 - same coin, same grade.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2022 12:12PM

@manlye1 said:
    Did anyone else notice the very soft prices realized for yesterday's Heritage auction? I was able to get a couple of great buys IMO, and wish I would have bought more. My only thought is many people were glued to the current events in Ukraine? or is the market starting to soften?

I was able to pick up most everything I wanted at what I thought were reasonable prices. I even picked up a few items I thought I wasn't going to be able to pick up with the bids I placed.

I will say that coins aren't important relative to war. I was at dinner 3 nights ago and it was interrupted as one of our party started taking calls from Ukraine as the incident unfolded. My family lost just about everything in WWII, but did come away with their lives, for the most part.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file