Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New PSA submission allows 50 cards(now 20)

jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Why? This seems like a really bad customer service move. Why wouldn’t you increase to 10 and give more people a chance to submit? Raising a small group to allow 50 doesn’t make sense especially when I know some people will get the 50 and not have 50 cards to submit.

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax

Comments

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2022 10:49AM

@76collector said:
    I honestly don't think they should be accepting ANY orders until this insane backlog is caught up to a reasonable wait time. I have cards that have been at PSA for over 13 months and it pisses me off that anyone for any price can "cut" in the line. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Totally agree

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@76collector said:
    I honestly don't think they should be accepting ANY orders until this insane backlog is caught up to a reasonable wait time. I have cards that have been at PSA for over 13 months and it pisses me off that anyone for any price can "cut" in the line. Just doesn't make sense to me.

It tantamount to a double bird flip those who have waited over a year for the same services level. Be assured that it's strictly bottom line stuff for the new Parent Company.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with all of you but PSA knows the sub drug is strong and while lots gripe, most will continue to sub. It’s a business that frankly doesn’t require a high level of customer service because customers don’t demand it.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have anything submitted to PSA -- for those who have been waiting over a year -- has PSA offered to cancel your order and return your cards (ungraded)? I mean that would be the right thing to do...

• Options
    DgilbertDgilbert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

It's business and bottom line is dollars. Maximize profits and capitalize on any given situation (the backlog). backlog cards are money already in the bank, keep accepting new orders (new money).

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
    instagram dgilbert008

• Options

@DotStore said:
    I don't have anything submitted to PSA -- for those who have been waiting over a year -- has PSA offered to cancel your order and return your cards (ungraded)? I mean that would be the right thing to do...

yup, the right thing to do has no profit.
    Never happen, cards stockpiled in there warehouse is money already in there pocket. Why offer to give it back. Just keep the new money at inflated prices coming in. Kind of in a way have a monopoly on the whole trading card industry. As long as ppl will pay big $$ keep your hand out to accept it.

instagram dgilbert008

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2022 4:14PM

@Dgilbert - you are making a lot of inaccurate statements about the way things are done. I would suggest reading the PSA Blog, listening to the PSA Podcast and following PSA on social media. We are putting out a lot of information about the state of the backlog, how many cards are being graded each day, the amount of effort going into the backlog vs new submissions, etc.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dgilbert said:

@DotStore said:

Never happen, cards stockpiled in there warehouse is money already in there pocket. Why offer to give it back. Just keep the new money at inflated prices coming in. Kind of in a way have a monopoly on the whole trading card industry. As long as ppl will pay big $$ keep your hand out to accept it.

The thing is it isn't money "already in their pockets". It is an "order" already in their pocket. You don't actually pay until they complete your order. But I understand the preface of what you are saying. Once the cards are mailed to them it is more or less a sale, not many people are going to demand they send their cards back prior to them getting graded.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

The latest PSA podcast covered this - they said that this offering was 50, but it’s going to fluctuate up and down for awhile. Just because it was 50 that time doesn’t mean that the next one won’t be 5, 10, 30, …

Ps - @AFLfan Todd, you have a typo in your DGilbert tag

Jim

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, thank you.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

50 allocation is an attempt to keep the ultra modern guys hooked and still work on the backlog. I don't know about all y'all but I don't think guys with cards pre-2000 are sitting on stockpiles of cards to submit at $50 a pop. so few cards are worth submitting at that rate or even 1/2 that rate. ultra modern guys have hoards of stuff waiting to grade and flip. one day it will be caught up and the complaints can slow. for now , sit back, have a beer and enjoy the cards you have in hand

• Options

@76collector said:

@Dgilbert said:

@DotStore said:

The thing is it isn't money "already in their pockets". It is an "order" already in their pocket. You don't actually pay until they complete your order. But I understand the preface of what you are saying. Once the cards are mailed to them it is more or less a sale, not many people are going to demand they send their cards back prior to them getting graded.

Jeff

Yup I to have cards in "storage" waiting to be graded as well. I am informed and sent the cards knowing what to expect timeline wise. I'm not to concerned and am not in a rush. At PSA, They don't charge until later on so no it is not money in there pockets yet it's money in there warehouse, they might upscale the charge if your card grades better and has a higher value than expected not sure how often this might happen but it does happen.

instagram dgilbert008

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:
    50 allocation is an attempt to keep the ultra modern guys hooked and still work on the backlog. I don't know about all y'all but I don't think guys with cards pre-2000 are sitting on stockpiles of cards to submit at $50 a pop. so few cards are worth submitting at that rate or even 1/2 that rate. ultra modern guys have hoards of stuff waiting to grade and flip. one day it will be caught up and the complaints can slow. for now , sit back, have a beer and enjoy the cards you have in hand

I guess I'm one of the rare ones. I have 1,500 vintage cards and I'm waiting for a reasonable price point. Bit the bullet at $150 on the high-end ones, but maybe $50 is the only shot I'll get in the next 24 months.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@AANV said:

I guess I'm one of the rare ones. I have 1,500 vintage cards and I'm waiting for a reasonable price point. Bit the bullet at $150 on the high-end ones, but maybe $50 is the only shot I'll get in the next 24 months.

There will have to be a price below $50 once the backlog has gotten down to below a million -- PSA won't get enough cards at $50 and higher to keep up the grading numbers, especially when opening up a 2nd location...

• Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

They couldn't keep up at 5 items per person so they bump it to 50.
    Unless they greatly limited the number of people that were able to get in?

There is no logical reason that they need to maintain a backlog of three or four months.

I can see maybe a three week backlog to ensure that you never run out of items to grade. if they can grade 200,000 per week, there should never be any reason to have more than 600,000 on site. Why keep them rolling in until you have 3 million again and create an artificial backlog of 4 months?
    Just find the price that brings in 200,000 per week each week and keep the 600,000 in backlog rolling over from week to week as you complete 200,000 and receive 200,000. If you receive 100,000 a few weeks in a row, throw up a 25% off special and get 400,000 one week and keep the line moving.

There is no actual reason other than poor thought process to desire or need a 4 month wait.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@AANV said:

I think you'll see $25/card before the end of the year. Might be an allocation event type thing though...

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

PSA will likely have output well north of 800k by end of this year and perhaps closer to 1 million. That is a huge number so the $25/card is coming. In fact, we will likely see 15-20 for 2023. Great news for collectors and registry folks.

• Options

I don’t think you’ll ever see reasonable pricing again not with non sport and modern cards bring the money they do. If that’s the case, the Registry will die a slow death

• Options

I agree, it is only a matter of time.> @GoDodgersFan said:

PSA will likely have output well north of 800k by end of this year and perhaps closer to 1 million. That is a huge number so the $25/card is coming. In fact, we will likely see 15-20 for 2023. Great news for collectors and registry folks.

• Options

That was someone else that said that. I just agreed that prices will come down.

I haven’t subbed since the timelines became ridiculous, I’d rather have 45 days @ 25 bucks then 360 days @ 8 bucks.

@nam812 said:

@80sOPC said:
    .........we will likely see 15-20 for 2023. Great news for collectors and registry folks......

As a collector, and registry participant (who can only speak for himself), I hardly consider that great news. It's the same silly thinking as gas being $4.00 a gallon so long that $3.50 per gallon becomes a "welcomed" sight.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@76collector said:

it's infuriating beyond comprehension, but the absolute best thing you can do is just try to forget about your cards and all of the inane happenings surrounding them. if you don't, you run the risk of incorporating chronic alcohol use into your life. i slid a sub in under the gun at the tail end of last march, and miraculously i've managed to free my mind of most thoughts that might lead me to being placed in the care of a specialized institution. when i finally receive a pop goes the weasel email it's gonna be tantamount to finding a quarter on the ground. "well damn, that was some serendipitous pop tarts right there."

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

For those who were registry collectors submitting low value cards the game ended over a year ago. Mourn the loss it's long since dead and buried under millions of kilotons of 1990 Fleer Jordan's, 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas' and 2019 Panini basketball

Ha! I LOL'd when I just noticed a 2019 Panini Stickers listing on ebay that had the following in their listing title:

"PSA 10 LOW POP! POP 130!"

OMG, 130 sounded too high to me to be bragging about "low" pop. But then I looked into the pop reports and saw tons of different 2019 basketball with each having more than 20,000 pop 10's per card...

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

For those who were registry collectors submitting low value cards the game ended over a year ago. Mourn the loss it's long since dead and buried under millions of kilotons of 1990 Fleer Jordan's, 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas' and 2019 Panini basketball

Ha! I LOL'd when I just noticed a 2019 Panini Stickers listing on ebay that had the following in their listing title:

OMG, 130 sounded too high to me to be bragging about "low" pop. But then I looked into the pop reports and saw tons of different 2019 basketball with each having more than 20,000 pop 10's per card...

honest question, who are the buyers these cards with this kind of availability?

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

I hear this a lot from the vintage crowd and I always wonder what you expect people to do? Should we just stop collecting anything modern? I love to collect vintage but I also like collecting the new, up and coming stars.

When it comes to the Basketball all I can say is now that it's become such a popular sport around the globe it has increased the amount of collectors 10X in the last 10 years. There are other factors like the Last Dance miniseries, the death of Kobe Bryant, the popularity of the TNT announcers, etc...

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Investors with stacks of each card. Demand is down significantly and a lot of these high pop cards are off their highs by 50-75%. With significant numbers still at TPG’s I’d expect some of these cards to trade a 5-10% of their peak price.

Others coined the term but junk slab era is upon us. Some of this stuff will take 20 years for demand to return.

@miwlvrn said:

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    Investors with stacks of each card. Demand is down significantly and a lot of these high pop cards are off their highs by 50-75%. With significant numbers still at TPG’s I’d expect some of these cards to trade a 5-10% of their peak price.

Others coined the term but junk slab era is upon us. Some of this stuff will take 20 years for demand to return.

@miwlvrn said:

When you write 20 years for demand to return. the one thing you are missing is the demand never left. It's still here and it's been growing.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

For the 20k pop ultra modern? Like I said, some of the stuff is off 50-75 percent from ATH’s.

Demand for cards like this has definitely left the room and will take decades if ever to return. 90% off peak:

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/basketball-cards/2019-panini-prizm/zion-williamson/values/2879876#g=10

@Cakes said:

@80sOPC said:

@miwlvrn said:

When you write 20 years for demand to return. the one thing you are missing is the demand never left. It's still here and it's been growing.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    For the 20k pop ultra modern? Like I said, some of the stuff is off 50-75 percent from ATH’s.

Demand for cards like this has definitely left the room and will take decades if ever to return. 90% off peak:

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/basketball-cards/2019-panini-prizm/zion-williamson/values/2879876#g=10

Another problem with current players a few years or less into a career is one wrong turn on the court a card becomes nothing more than kindling.

Hope the younger crowds enjoy their 2019 Panini Basketball as they will be seeing piles of it at shows and on the web and via tech yet unknown the rest of their lives.

I'd guess if all the PSA slabs of that issue were placed end to end they would reach the moon. If not yet today then in the next few years.

• Options

Agreed but it’s not just ultra modern that is way off. 96 Kobe PSA 10 broke through 10k, had multiple sales over 7k and sells for 1500 today. 86 Jordan 50% off ATH’s.

But ya, the junk slabs will be worthless, crazy times in the hobby.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:

I honestly don't care about the topic you guys are debating, but you can't pick an injured player to support your claim.

• Options

There are thousands of modern BBK that have dropped dramatically in price. Not all of them are injured and I provided examples like Jordan and Kobe.

Griffey 10 peaked at 6K with numerous sales over 5K, now a 1900 card and melting. DR J 9 peaked at 59K, recent sales at 27K, a few sales at 17K,

Demand is definitely down from peak, this is hardly controversial.

And I know, you don't care.

• Options

@nam812 said:

@80sOPC said:

I honestly don't care about the topic you guys are debating, but you can't pick an injured player to support your claim.

Agreed. Replace Zion with Ja and check the results!

• Options

Sure, 2019 Ja Prizm Silver 10 peaked at 1500, sold for almost a year over 1K, now selling for 400. 60-80% decline off peak and he is having an MVP worthy season.

We can do baseball, and the Trout US175 if you want next. Spoiler, off more then 50% from ATH's.

@Cakes said:

@nam812 said:

@80sOPC said:

Agreed. Replace Zion with Ja and check the results!

• Options
    edited March 5, 2022 7:36AM

@80sOPC said:

@Cakes said:

@80sOPC said:

@miwlvrn said:

Another problem with current players a few years or less into a career is one wrong turn on the court a card becomes nothing more than kindling.

Hope the younger crowds enjoy their 2019 Panini Basketball as they will be seeing piles of it at shows and on the web and via tech yet unknown the rest of their lives.

If all the PSA slabs of that issue were placed end to end would they would reach the moon? If not yet today then in the next few years will they?> @nam812 said:

@80sOPC said:

Injuries are part of the game - really any sport. I feel mentioning an injured player illustrates the point that purchasing recent rookie cards for 4 or 5 or 6 figures is very risky and IMHO akin to gambling.

But yeah, to depict a bubble burst examples used need to be apples to apples. Which also mean the opposite; no picking a current super hot player to attempt to prove the market is strong.