Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold just shot up!!! $70.00 in 6 hours!! $1970.00 at time of writing...

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Blame the 75% of the Russian population that elected him for life. LOL

Yeah the same phantom 75% that caused the 4 year train wreck we just.....well um nevermind. How's the ASE / crypto swap going? Semper Fi! RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, you are on a roll today!
    Thank you for your insightful, empathetic and intelligent responses via this thread.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

political commentary that violates forum rules voluntarily removed.

And that should be applied across the board by all concerned, not just derryb. Just sayin'.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn’t most of this discussion in the nature of geopolitical commentary in the context of gold and financial markets, rather than politicizing? There is a difference.

A few comments may have crossed the line, but I don’t see this as veering towards a political debate.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Isn't anyone worried about arming neo-nazi in Ukraine?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2022 3:56PM

@meluaufeet said:
    Isn't anyone worried about arming neo-nazi in Ukraine?

Careful, talking about this is a good way to get your semi truck confiscated, your pet euthanized and your banking funds frozen. Unless western mainstream media makes it a talking point, you can't talk about it.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    edited March 6, 2022 4:16PM

metals on the move Sunday evening. :)

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold ask is right at $2000 right now....

----- kj
  • Options

Will see if it holds,... and what the day trading will bring.

----- kj
  • Options

Who knows?? Some panic starting to set in? And no, I'm not getting much enjoyment in seeing the metals take off like this. Would much rather have more stable trends... and a sane world.

----- kj
  • Options

Isn’t most of this discussion in the nature of geopolitical commentary in the context of gold and financial markets, rather than politicizing?

Depends on what your perspective might be. I would venture to say that if I responded negatively to some of the comments previously made, it wouldn't be well received. I suggest a review of recent European history since the fall of the Berlin Wall.

There is a difference.

Yes, there is a difference, however when one perspective gets suppressed (voluntarily or otherwise) it doesn't validate the opposing point of view. You may think that some of the previous commentary isn't political, but it is.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Isn’t most of this discussion in the nature of geopolitical commentary in the context of gold and financial markets, rather than politicizing?

Depends on what your perspective might be. I would venture to say that if I responded negatively to some of the comments previously made, it wouldn't be well received. I suggest a review of recent European history since the fall of the Berlin Wall.

There is a difference.

Yes, there is a difference, however when one perspective gets suppressed (voluntarily or otherwise) it doesn't validate the opposing point of view. You may think that some of the previous commentary isn't political, but it is.

Im not a Putin apologist, therefore i dont need to censure myself.

This a moral comment, not a political one.

This discussion pertains to gold in that the destruction of a country and the supply chain that runs through it will have an impact on global inflation, currencies, and many other intermarket relationships.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited March 7, 2022 9:40AM

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when he believes his patriotism depends on his not understanding it.

It should come as no surprise that when greedy outsiders turn a prosperous country into their personal cesspool of corruption, someone is going to step in and attempt to throw them and their relatives out.

• Options

Im not a Putin apologist, therefore i dont need to censure myself.

Our "leadership" could simply have said "Ukraine won't be in Nato", but that would've been too easy and not sufficiently expansionist. The corruption isn't only in Ukraine, and that's the root of the problem. There's a CFR video that makes it quite clear what the problem is.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang everything is up. I see Russia is now paying $1.80 for 92 octane.....when will it ever end? Yes, US dollars. Silver is just under $26, gold just under $2k and my gas was $4.49 for 87 octane, yesterday. My Ribeyes went from a sale price of $7.99 to now $12.99 on sale. Damn, will have to quit eating and driving. Actually tried that on Friday as I walked to the Rx two blocks away for a refill. On the way home fell flat on my face in the zebra crossing, stopping traffic (they laughed :(). Now I'm wounded, can't walk, can't drive and can't eat.
    bob :)
    PS: Putin is a wanted man with large bounties on his head. He will not last long before one of his own get's it done.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The irony is I have an electric car and I always check out the price of gas. When I drove a gas car I rarely paid attention. For anyone on the fence about getting an electric car PM me. I'll always have at least one electric car in the garage.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Local home heating fuel companies are at $5 bucks a gallon, up a dollar a gallon from 2 weeks ago or so. I'm burning more wood than ever, God bless us all.
    This lump of Pd. is worth $3500 or so now? Crazy times.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    Well some things remain somewhat 'normal'.... the usual morning drop in precious metals prices!

Its almost like you could set your watch to it...if you carried a watch.

• Options
    0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

I did not mean for this post to become political, I was just commenting on the price of gold at the moment. thank you for getting back on track.

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2022 11:25AM

It's off topic a little, but nickel is on a tear.

Up almost 60% today vs the 5 year.

• Options

$1970 is what my dentist wants to put a crown on my broken tooth.
    That is one ounce of gold.
    Wonder what it cost to just remove a tooth back in the 1880's?

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    The irony is I have an electric car and I always check out the price of gas. When I drove a gas car I rarely paid attention. For anyone on the fence about getting an electric car PM me. I'll always have at least one electric car in the garage.

m

How do you charge up your car?
    Wait till off peak hours?
    Do you plug it in at your place of work?

I'd go electric for an around town car if I could get cheap electricity to charge from.
    Still have the hurtle of having to replace the batteries at some point?

I had a VW baja bug with as much weight stripped off and fiberglass parts on.
    It had a small 40hp motor.
    It got 25 miles to the gallon of gas in town doing 40mph.

• Options
    edited March 7, 2022 6:38PM

@rte592 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

I'd go electric for an around town car if I could get cheap electricity to charge from.

I charge it after 10pm. My wife's work has a charger at their office ( a lot do in California) so she'll take it in from time to time. You don't have to change the batteries. The batteries (two in my car) are the motors.

This came with the car purchase. Had time pay someone to install it. Needs a dedicated 40 amp circuit. Will charge fully from empty over night.

This is the slow charger that comes will the car. It just plugs into any regular outlet . It might get you a 25 mile charge over night.

I've have almost always worked from home or from a foreign country. I don't drive that much. My wife does. She will take the electric car when the HOV lane is advantageous

I may get a Fisker next year. The top of the line model offers a solar panel roof for added free charging as you drive. They are just starting production

I do miss a throaty exhaust sound ( I'm from Detroit) BUT the speed and the torque of a dual motor EV is unworldly .

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2001 as I write this.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2022 8:43PM

EVs are great until all that is left is a large toxic battery that has to be disposed of.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Get a plug in hybrid, best of both worlds. I get 45 miles on a charge which takes care of all of my running around on a normal day. Plug in at home (regular 110V outlet) and fully charge overnight. If I run out of charge while driving a !onger distance the gas engine takes over and while I'm running on gas it charges the EV battery. Drive 50-100 miles on gas and you full charge the EV battery. On gas alone the car gets about 35mpg.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman what is your kilowatt hour rate where you live? I had a highschool friend show up the other day at my shop with a Tesla. Took me for a quick ride I said punch it Chewie sorry I did neck hit the head rest and my stomach flipped. He said it was way cheaper than gas if charging at home. Not so much if on the road and using a fast commercial charger. We pay about .08 per kilowatt hour. Does that map?

Martin

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kitco article today comments on the 'fear factor' aka people become more comfortable with this war dampen gold price. IMHO going forward looks like a long term debt ridden inflation driven nightmare that may well be a Japanese style stagflation, late 1980s, until it's not and then; years of pay back taxes.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@THISISMEAGAIN said:
    $1970 is what my dentist wants to put a crown on my broken tooth.
    That is one ounce of gold.
    Wonder what it cost to just remove a tooth back in the 1880's?

I have 4 gold crowns. Asked my dentist if I could bring in gold dos pesos to use for them. One crown 'might' use that much gold but they're ~10k dental grade I believe installed. He said he couldn't use them.

• Options

Pullin' a Jefferson on us. Oh , not the "Jefferson" nickel. The Jefferson tune: "movin' on up".
    Metal, that is.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 498 ✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    I have 4 gold crowns. Asked my dentist if I could bring in gold dos pesos to use for them. One crown 'might' use that much gold but they're ~10k dental grade I believe installed. He said he couldn't use them.

You could sell some of the dos pesos to pay the cost of the crown, that is in effect using your coins to pay the material cost.

• Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

the gold coins would be too soft, a lot of dental alloys contain palladium, I just sent a years worth of dental gold in, should be really high in palladium, cant wait to see the assay this afternoon

• Options
    edited March 9, 2022 8:01PM

@Martin said:
    @Justacommeman what is your kilowatt hour rate where you live? I had a highschool friend show up the other day at my shop with a Tesla. Took me for a quick ride I said punch it Chewie sorry I did neck hit the head rest and my stomach flipped. He said it was way cheaper than gas if charging at home. Not so much if on the road and using a fast commercial charger. We pay about .08 per kilowatt hour. Does that map?

Martin

It depends on the car you are charging, type of charger and for me time of day. Tier 1 in Los Angeles California ( the first 1000 KW) is about double what you are paying. It's about .15 KWPH. For my type of car in my situation it costs about $8 to charge the car at night per 100 miles of range.

There are charts available on line to help you figure out estimated costs.

Hope this helps. LOL on the Chewie drop!

m

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh well, It looked really good yesterday

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

For my type of car in my situation it costs about $8 to charge the car at night per 100 miles of range.

That doesnt exactly sound cheap. Many smaller diesel cars can get mid 40s mpg. Up until a few weeks ago their cost per mile was about the same as yours.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

For my type of car in my situation it costs about $8 to charge the car at night per 100 miles of range.

That doesnt exactly sound cheap. Many smaller diesel cars can get mid 40s mpg. Up until a few weeks ago their cost per mile was about the same as yours.

That’s where the $40,000 home solar comes in. In 15-20 years, once that is paid off, that’s when the real savings start. >:)

I just bought a hybrid. Didn’t really have much option as all the cars at the dealership when I was there were hybrids.
    Not complaining much now though since it averages 40mpg.
    Hybrid and ev batteries are going to be a toxic issue in the not too distant future that exceeds any net air pollution improvement IMO. As more and more of these cars get junked or crash and spread the batteries across highways.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2022 12:19PM

@cohodk said:

It doesn't when you lob a piece of poop into the discussion. I don't drive a smaller diesel car and would never consider it. If it does for others good for them

It would cost most people $4 per 100 miles of charge or $12 per range of 300 miles for the car I have . That's significantly better then $60 to $100 to fill a tank with gas. In California where I live electric cars make a ton of sense especially now. It's probably why they are so wildly popular. The Tesla3 is the single best selling car in CA. I also love the fact I haven't had to go to a gas station in 3 years. I also get access to the HOV lanes.

At todays gas prices it's $100 to fill a like car with gas. It's less then $25 for electricity. Sometimes it's free as a lot of businesses have free charging station's. We are in that situation.

m

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

It would cost most people $4 per 100 miles of charge or $12 per range of 300 miles for the car I have . That's significantly better then $60 to $100 to fill a tank with gas. In California where I live electric cars make a ton of sense especially now. It's probably why they are so wildly popular. The Tesla3 is the single best selling car in CA. I also love the fact I haven't had to go to a gas station in 3 years. I also get access to the HOV lanes.

At todays gas prices it's $100 to fill a like car with gas. It's less then $25 for electricity. Sometimes it's free as a lot of businesses have free charging station's. We are in that situation.

Electricity is such a small part of operating an EV and comparing cost per mile. Acquisition cost - even after the taxpayer welfare transfer to the new owner - is substantially higher than an ICE. Then factor in repairs. While I may have to spend a couple of grand 10 years down the road on repairs, the $15-$20K battery replacement tilts the per-mile cost to an ICE engine

• Options

@taxmad said:

@Justacommeman said:

Electricity is such a small part of operating an EV and comparing cost per mile. Acquisition cost - even after the taxpayer welfare transfer to the new owner - is substantially higher than an ICE. Then factor in repairs. While I may have to spend a couple of grand 10 years down the road on repairs, the $15-$20K battery replacement tilts the per-mile cost to an ICE engine

I dunno. I lease mine. Leasing makes more sense as technology is always evolving. Maybe one day I'll outright buy. So for me no additional repair costs as it's built in. Instead of an occasional oil change I get a software update. I'll always have one gas vehicle and one EV. It works for me. The gas will always be owned.

mark

• Options
    edited March 12, 2022 11:38PM

Good luck getting it back!

Eric King: “Whether the United States is taking down Saddam Hussein in Iraq, or Muammar Gaddafi in Libya, there always seems to be gold at the end of the rainbow, which the U.S. then appropriates.”

• Options

@derryb said:

Eric King: “Whether the United States is taking down Saddam Hussein in Iraq, or Muammar Gaddafi in Libya, there always seems to be gold at the end of the rainbow, which the U.S. then appropriates.”

Interesting that the US doesnt "appropriate" gold from the Queen of England, or Emporor of Japan. Its always from some authoritarian dictator in a country rich with oil that murders its own citizens.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2022 8:46AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Interesting that the US doesnt "appropriate" gold from the Queen of England, or Emporor of Japan. Its always from some authoritarian dictator in a country rich with oil that murders its own citizens.

so, you do agree with him that Ukraine belongs to him? lol

• Options

there always seems to be gold at the end of the rainbow, which the U.S. then appropriates.

Ukraine’s Gold Reserves Secretly Flown Out by New York Federal Reserve?

This would seem to indicate that the US military is subordinate to the privately-owned banking cartel. It's important to see who controls who.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Tsk tsk, you two. That's not " appropriate". :joy:

• Options
    0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Well, that was a fun ride for a moment....1925 and falling....

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

• Options
    KeevanKeevan Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

FOMC decision coming soon, big rate hike = kryptonite for gold

Successful BST transactions (as a buyer) with @ArchStanton, @JGnumismatics, @r00kies101, @derryb, @76collector, @Pachucko, @brendanlam, @Coll3ctor. I am looking for fractional gold Krugerrands, by year: 0.5oz: 2014, 2020, 2023 | 0.25oz: 1992, 1994, 2002, 2020, 2023 | 0.10oz: 1990, 1992, 1994, 2010, 2020-2021

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Keevan said:
    FOMC decision coming soon, big rate hike = kryptonite for gold

Wishful thinking. Rate hike is already factored in the current price. More sideways or down movement would be more to speed.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

FOMC decision coming soon, a very tiny (0.5% max.) rate hike = kryptonite for the stock market

F.I.F.Y.

The real interest rate is at least -8% which is still very positive for gold. The disincentive will be to remain in dollar-denominated assets, primarily bonds with their paltry returns. Higher interest rates won't be significant unless the Fed pulls a "Paul Volcker", which is highly unlikely.

I knew it would happen.