Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Pound for pound where is the best value found in our "sports" hobby in your opinion ?

Pound for pound where is the best value found in our "sports" hobby in your opinion ?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Vintage Soccer

@80sOPC said:
    Not sport specific, but clean sets is where it is at for me. I bought a run of binder sets just last year for 3K and the first card I submitted would sell for 900. Probably have 6-10k in cards from this group, that for some reason no one wanted to buy. Most of my graded cards come from buying complete sets and pilfering them for the best cards.

Pm sent

Brian

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is “sports” in quotes?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2022 4:48PM
    Vintage Football

@DBesse27 ..... b/c the options I mentioned are all specific sports .... "Other and specify in comments please"..... is where one might say "Batman Cards" or "Wacky pack stickers" or "Star Wars" .... etc...

• other... specify in comments please.

UFC cards. MMA is one of the fastest growing sports... huge international market. Lots of new collectors and almost all say how shocked they are at the low prices for top stars. However, Panini acquired the Lic in 2021 and are mass producing cards :(

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vintage Football

@Ahmanfan said:
    I still think 50s/60s football is undervalued

4th'ed :)

• other... specify in comments please.

Game used, photo matched HOF jerseys from Baseball and Basketball.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

The problem with Football is that it's only big in the US. Basketball and Soccer have huge international followings. Baseball has a big international following.

• Vintage Hockey

Vintage OPC and Topps hockey is undervalued in my opinion. If and when Ovechkin break Gretzky's all time goal record, I think more people will gravitate to collecting Gretzky's rookie and early cards and the other all time hockey greats like Lemieux, Roy, Messier....etc.

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

@Ahmanfan said:
    I still think 50s/60s football is undervalued

I've never collected football, but bought a small collection a few years ago, and was amazed at how undervalued vintage football was compared to vintage baseball.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lacrosse has been on a significant rise the past few months.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:

Spam >:)

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collect what you like. You will always enjoy the hobby.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Collect what you like. You will always enjoy the hobby.

I have no problem with this, and embrace it myself, but it's hard to come out against someone who wishes to make an investment out of it. I have a good friend who deals comic books but knows nothing about the characters and cares less. Just because collecting is a hobby for you (and me) doesn't mean that there is necessarily something wrong with someone attempting to (hopefully) diversify his portfolio by getting into "collectibles".

Incidentally, I think it is hard to "invest" with any great certainty. Best option is to become a dealer and flip as quickly as possible. If you can turn over your inventory monthly you'll probably be OK.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@AFLfan said:

Spam >:)

Lol. I'll add you to the long list of naysayers...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    other... specify in comments please.

Tennis cards

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Signed vintage.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Vintage Soccer

W

Brian

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks like a list of what we all like to collect rather then a list of hobby opportunity.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Not sport specific, but clean sets is where it is at for me. I bought a run of binder sets just last year for 3K and the first card I submitted would sell for 900. Probably have 6-10k in cards from this group, that for some reason no one wanted to buy. Most of my graded cards come from buying complete sets and pilfering them for the best cards.

OPC cards of course!!!

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

I have no data on which to base this, but I suspect that one would do well speculating in vintage cards of major stars, but their secondary cards rather than the main ones. An example will illustrate what I mean. For 1962 Topps, there are four Mickey Mantle cards, one his main card, one an all-star card, and then two cards showcasing him. There are no PSA 10's, but here are their prices in PSA 9/8/7:
    Regular card (#200) is $236538/$12470/$2887
    All-star card (#471) is $20708/$1056/$558
    Manager's Dream (#18) is $67002/$1862/$650
    The Switch Hitter Connects (#318) is $13319/$1320/$278
    I suspect that with the price of #200 already out of reach for most, and presumably getting even more out of reach, collectors who want to have a 1962 Mickey Mantle will instead turn to his all-star card (pricey but affordable, except PSA 9), or else the switch-hitter card or the one pairing him with Willie Mays (ditto). It's either that, or buy a 1962 Mantle card with obvious flaws, or don't own a 1962 Mantle card. Same goes for other stars from this and other years.

Which is why I think that these may be undervalued: would you rather invest/speculate in one PSA 8 #200 for about $12500, or twelve PSA 8 Mantle all-star cards for about the same amount? Before answering that, note that a PSA 8 #200 is about half the price of a PSA 9, whereas a PSA 8 #471 is only about 1/20th the price of a PSA 9. Seems to me like those PSA 8 all-star cards will be rising in price substantially, relative to PSA 9's. (I don't have enough money to throw around on these cards at those grades -- good luck to anyone who tries this approach.)

Interesting post, above.

Along similar lines of thought, the PSA 8 Nolan Ryan RC seems like a pretty obvious buy opportunity.

If the 9s are cemented now at $100,000, how long can 8s stay under $10,000? And diving into the pop data, it is not as if there are a ton of them— let alone if one just targeted the centered copies.

I would think that over time the 8s should slide into a 20-25k price point relative to the 9s, considering how iconic the card is and its place in the pantheon of baseball cards.

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vintage Football

@DM23HOF I am hopeful collectibles can endure the next several years of economic haywire to hit new highs... not sure its realistic or likely. So many headwinds.

I would frankly love the collectibles I love to take a big dip in prices— I buy to ideally never sell, so for me the preference is always low buy prices. If the cost of that is my own collectibles have lower value, fine by me, as that value was never being realized anyway ;)

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    I would frankly love the collectibles I love to take a big dip in prices— I buy to ideally never sell, so for me the preference is always low buy prices. If the cost of that is my own collectibles have lower value, fine by me, as that value was never being realized anyway ;)

I look at it this way too. Suspect there are more of us than people would guess.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

1980s rock/rap/pop stars cards are going to explode.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.