Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess The Grade - High Relief Saint

PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made a trade this weekend and ended up adding this wonderful 1907 $20 High Relief (Wire Edge) to my set.

I know I enjoy gtg threads so I thought I'd offer some cheap entertainment for those interested.

I'll avoid posting the grade until tomorrow but if anyone is interested you can cheat and view the coin in my set registry link in my signature.

Did my best to take decent photos, but as usual it's never perfect to grade from pics. What do you think?


Comments

  • Options
    Texas77Texas77 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭

    wow, i see very few hits, the high points of miss liberty look so clean, amazing coin, has to be a 68!

  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

    She looks very nice. I will guess MS66

  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll guess 65+

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

    For some reason my first impression was MS64 Wire Rim. After seeing the other guesses I find myself second guessing but I'll stick with 64. These are really awesome to look at, it's these and the Satin proofs that make me understand why many call these the most beautiful U.S. coins.

  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Beautiful coin!
    Cool die polish lines on the obverse.
    My wild guess is 66

    Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

    65 - incredibly gorgeous. FWIW, the photography is great too. Congrats!

  • Options
    manlye1manlye1 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

    65 great coin!

  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That's a tuff one.
    I'm going 64 because of missing drapery across the leg & between breasts. Maybe cabinet friction on near side wing???
    Do you have a TrueView?
    Otherwise, very clean looking w/ nice fin.

  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm gonna say it grades $30,000.

    Have a nice day
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭✭

    64

  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

    65.

  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice nose, but a flat knee. 58/62.

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭

    66

    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 6:59PM

    If I'm interpreting your photos correctly I'm going with a 58. However, if it was a 64 I'd believe it. Great looking example regardless. I've seen a ton of them while pursuing mine.

    Congrats!

    mark

    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I cheated so no guess here! The type set continues to progress quite nicely. Love the photos.

    "Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

    65

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

    65

    Collector
    Over 100 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 57 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow, that would fill a gap in my coin bucket list very nicely. I may just be confused by lighting, but I'll guess 58 because of perceived high point rub on both sides. Whatever, that coin is drop dead gorgeous!

  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cellphone 📱 66

  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 8:17PM

    Perfectly beautiful.
    Uncirculated.
    You are so fortunate!

    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Pedzola said:
    Such huge variation in the AU58 grade. I think I got a good one here.

    I've downgraded twice to have better coins in my set.
    I get it ;)

  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That's a wonderful 58. There was a time when this was what 58 usually meant, but that's long gone. Great coin -- I'd take a piece like that over a more expensive strictly mint state coin with more marks any time (though in regard to this particular issue, either would be well outside my end of the pool). Really nice pickup, congratulations!

    mirabela
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

    wow! I thought there may have been rub but was leaning more towards 65... gorgeous coin!

    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My guess was 62. Very nice pick up!

  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

    WOW ! I just about nailed that one!

  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I cheated and I was wrong! That’s a beautiful 58- good pickup!

  • Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If I didn't know the grade beforehand I would have guessed 64 or 63+. Very nice coin. You have an incredible set and a great eye.

    Jb-rarities.com
    IG: jb_rarities

  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I totally missed on this one. For my punishment you should send her to me so I can see the errors of my way. :#

    These are the 58s I dream of!

  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I pretty well decided not to include a HR in my type set, but if I could find a 58 like that for 58 money...... Wow

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well...Late to the game.... but I would have missed it... I thought it was MS.... Actually, looking back at the OP, I still think it is MS.... Really nice coin. Not saying the TPG is wrong...Just grading from the pictures.... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2022 9:46AM

    Well, just goes to further prove the maxim, "Buy the coin, not the holder".

    Intoxicating coin!

    Would you have a scan of the 63 you traded for comparison Pedzola?

    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file