Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found February 17, 2022 2004 Wisconsin Upper Leaf Error.

On February 17th of this year, My friend Robert in Phoenix fount this beautiful 2004 D Wisconsin Upper Leaf error. He has found two Wisconsin Leaf Errors in two months. This post is to let everyone know they are still being found. Enjoy this beauty.

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone into bampa's coins again for some spending change? It seems very odd that all of a sudden two of these would appear so close to each other in the same area so many years after its discovery. Maybe there are still some floating around but gives one pause.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe no one is looking?
    I searched for years for a 1995 ddo. Nothing. And then I found two in the same $25 box

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the interest - once at a fever pitch, has long since cooled. And there are surely more out there, not to mention those who have been found, held, interest lost and spent. It is a good CPG variety. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun find. Good to know they are still out there to be found....

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

One might think that collectors who live in the areas of AZ and TX where the quarters first turned up are the people who are in the know and are still looking for these scarce coins

Specialized Investments
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2022 6:56AM

Imagine how many have slipped, unnoticed, through peoples hands. It's nice to see that there are collectibles still circulating within commerce. Nice find!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    arby96arby96 Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Someone into bampa's coins again for some spending change? It seems very odd that all of a sudden two of these would appear so close to each other in the same area so many years after its discovery. Maybe there are still some floating around but gives one pause.

I understand it sounds fishy. The gentleman who found it didn't even know about them until I told him. We had a challenge collecting W's and Once I found mine I told him about what I found and he was unaware of that Error. What is funny it was a box he already searched for W's that he sold to a Circle K store. He marked his boxes with two large black X's, and when he went back to see if they still had the box he already checked, they told him yes. He purchased the box and he searched it again and found the upper leaf error. So either someone is spending them or their still out in circulation.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

I don't CRH. When I buy state quarter collections, I dump them in the cornstarch. Most dealers do the same. There is a huge supply of these constantly reentering circulation

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

I don't CRH. When I buy state quarter collections, I dump them in the cornstarch. Most dealers do the same. There is a huge supply of these constantly reentering circulation

Why Cornstarch?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

So awesome.

Keep up the search.

• Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

I wonder how many rolls, bags and boxes of BU State Quarters have been placed into circulation after the 2008-2009 recession and the current coin shortage ?

Specialized Investments
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd much rather find that awesome 2009- D Duke Ellington Doubled die reverse. That thing is rare!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:
    I'd much rather find that awesome 2009- D Duke Ellington Doubled die reverse. That thing is rare!

I'd much rather find both, why limit oneself?

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an awesome find. I looked through hundreds of quarter boxes during my W quarter hunt the past few years and never found one. 🙄

Congratulations!😎

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the majority of the examples found at the time of issue were in Arizona, so your friend is well positioned to find them.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

It has been reported that Bob Ford in Tuscon discovered the two leaf quarters in 12/04. The leaves were found here in South Texas in 01/05. The AZ rolls were pretty much 2 lows/ 1 high. Where as, the Texas rolls were pretty much 1 low/1 high.

Specialized Investments
  • Options

The Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarters are Modern Coins. That said, these varieties are firming up price wise on Ebay. Interesting !!

Specialized Investments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file