Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Peace dollar late stage die

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our coin club here in CT still is not meeting; but they are running monthly auctions. This 1921 Peace dollar was in the monthly auction, would this grade with the late die issue?

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

There appears to be a few minor rim issues, and a typical (for 1921) weak strike.
    I think it would grade AU55, although hard to tell from those photos.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it’s got some nice luster.
    Hard to tell from the photos and the possibility of an old cleaning/hairlines are always a risk.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade it $300.00

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    I grade it $300.00

I put in a bid of $250 max and won it but don't have it in hand yet.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you did fine.
    Nice coin, and these have shot up and remain pricey for the last few months.
    Please show it off when you do get it. I like the luster and overall eye appeal (as many of these in the sub-$300. range are not attractive at all).

peacockcoins

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liked seeing the spiked right wing top. Can't wait to see it out of the plastic. Congrats. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2022 10:00PM

For 250 it’s a score!

Likely a ~AU tho, it doesn’t seem to have a lot of luster

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth $250+ almost certainly. Good score.

Vplite99
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you say it has late die state issues, what exactly are you referring to?

• Options

That's what others assumed that due to the issues it was late die state.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

What issues?

• Options

Die cracks, they were saying it was mint caused, not post mint.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has some rim dings, but looks like a 55 condition wise. These have been expensive due to the 100 year thing..... So you did alright. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

If ICG gave it a details grade, it must have real problems because they tend to be liberal in grading problem coins, IMO. On the other hand, if they said AU-50 (or whatever), cracked planchet, it might be good. One simply cannot tell with ICG, except to say that they grade liberally, and much more so than our host. From the pic, it has some distracting spots on the reverse, but I cannot tell if it has been cleaned.

Tom

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I can tell, it should straight grade, AU-something.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    would this grade with the late die issue?

this should have no bearing whether it would grade or not. lots of debate about die states affecting the grading assessment. we saw, i think, an ms68 buff in a rough lds shape.

i know i've read here in the past and i'm pretty sure some previous grades supported this, that die state DID effect the grade in a negative way.

personally, i do think EDS do look better than LDS from a grading standpoint but i think LDS are usually visually neater.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file