Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

North America???

I just started my first registry set (California Small Denomination Gold) and am considering what to do next.

Some sets are harder to find than others. For example, I wouldn't have thought to find some of these countries listed under North America.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/north-america/496

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apart from Bermuda and some of the southern and western Caribbean islands, I don't see any country I would consider non-North-American on that list.

Apparently, the standard definition of "North America" includes all of the Caribbean islands, all the way up to the South American coastline - even those such as Trinidad & Tobago which are clearly part of South America, geologically and geographically. The Wikipedia list of North American countries is pretty much an exact match for the PCGS list, with the obvious exceptions of one defunct country (the Central American Republic) and one non-country monetary union (the East Caribbean States).

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx said:
    Apart from Bermuda and some of the southern and western Caribbean islands, I don't see any country I would consider non-North-American on that list.

Apparently, the standard definition of "North America" includes all of the Caribbean islands, all the way up to the South American coastline - even those such as Trinidad & Tobago which are clearly part of South America, geologically and geographically. The Wikipedia list of North American countries is pretty much an exact match for the PCGS list, with the obvious exceptions of one defunct country (the Central American Republic) and one non-country monetary union (the East Caribbean States).

Funny, I never thought of Central America as part of North America, but it makes sense.

Andy Lustig

• bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Wow, learn something new everyday. Good luck with the set though should you decide to try it. I'm sure it will look amazing when completed.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course the US is not listed under North America, which is logical in terms of site usability. And therefore, since we've already abandoned a strict adherence to geographical definitions, I think it would be better to list the USA, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America and South America as top level categories. And I'd send Greenland to Europe, so it can hang out with all of the other Nordic countries.

Andy Lustig

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least they didn't use the equator. That would scalp the top off South America if they did.