Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Team Names ... How many are kind of dumb?

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 13, 2022 11:32AM in Sports Talk

So recently the Washington Football Team changed their name to the Washington Commanders, which I think sounds dumb and ridiculous. They should have gone with Warriors or Redwolves, both of which would have been cool IMHO. It got me thinking how many other NFL teams have dumb names, but it's just we are used to them and there is history.

The Green Bay Packers were named after the Indian Packing Company in Green Bay that packs meat. Meatpackers seems pretty stupid as a team name, but we are so used to that name and they won a ton of championships so now Packers seems cool or fierce.

The Dolphins is another name that seems strange at first glance. Who is scared of a dolphin? Plus if they were on land they'd die. But again we are used to it. And that 17-0 team was Dolphins.

Some other candidates: Forty-Niners, Saints, Chiefs, Buccaneers, Ravens, Cardinals, Bills, Browns. Boy naming a team after an owner like the Browns (Paul Brown) is bizarre. Imagine if the new WFT name was the Washington Snyders, what a better way to pay homage to the absolute worst owner in professional sports?

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2022 12:42PM

In a cavern, in a canyon, excavating for a mine
    Dwelt a miner, 49er and his daughter Clementine
    Oh my darling, Oh my darling, Oh my darling Clementine
    You are gone and lost forever
    And your shoes were number NINE......

Clementine was the original NINER! I'd give her a 10! Oh, well!
    San Francisco 49ers....best name of all sports teams!

• Options

Landry, I think that Texas team that plays in Dallas has a pretty cool name too.......I just don't like thinking about it....or them! 😁

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought the Carolina Panthers should have been named the North Carolina Panthers, I hate that they didn't include North in the name, it's just something that irritates me, I try not to think about it, but I have my days!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not advocating changing any of them but.........

Buffalo Bills seems like an odd name considering the location. I know where they are called that but still odd

Cleveland Browns. Odd name

Green Bay Packers. Weird name. I understand why but still odd

Arizona Cardinals. Not sure why they didn't change the name when they had the chance to something more Desert like.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Landry, I think that Texas team that plays in Dallas has a pretty cool name too.......I just don't like thinking about it....or them! 😁

Hey Hydrant how does it work for Rams season ticket holders like yourself when the Super Bowl is in your home stadium? Is there some sort of lottery system for those tickets for the season ticket holders? Or are you on your own like everyone else trying to get a ticket?

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2022 1:29PM

Not nfl but the AAA Gwinnett Braves changed their name to the Stripers a couple years ago....after the fish in lake Lanier up here. SMH, always thought/still think that's dumb as hell.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm not advocating changing any of them but.........

Buffalo Bills seems like an odd name considering the location. I know where they are called that but still odd

I always thought so too.....We think alike on this one. The Buffalo Bills would be a good name for the Denver team.....since Buffalo Bill is buried in Golden. Right up the road from Denver. Go figure.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

Arizona Cardinals. Not sure why they didn't change the name when they had the chance to something more Desert like.

m

Arizona Roadrunners would have been genius

• Options

I may be a tad biased but the Vikings is one of the most appropriate team names. Since Minnesota is home to many, many immigrants from the Scandinavian countries plus the evidence of Viking travelers hundreds of years before Columbus, You combine that with the imagery the Vikings conjure up and, well, there you have it.

Oh, and one of the original owners was named Max Winter.

• Options

Vikings are very cool and appropriate . My mother in law is Norwegian and the Vikes are her team even though she was born and raised in Chicago.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@Hydrant said:

Hey Hydrant how does it work for Rams season ticket holders like yourself when the Super Bowl is in your home stadium? Is there some sort of lottery system for those tickets for the season ticket holders? Or are you on your own like everyone else trying to get a ticket?

I will get back to you on this.....NO I'm not at the game....The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant just explained to me why......bottom line.....I'M AN IDIOT!!!!......not the first time....it won't be the last!!!!.......I SCREWED UP!!!!

• Options
    edited February 13, 2022 4:25PM

@LandrysFedora said:

There is a lottery. The NFL is in charge of it....not the Rams. But...two, three? years ago when I bought the season tickets at SoFi (when the stadium was still under construction) I was offered a deal to buy 2022 Super Bowl tickets as a package deal with the season tickets. CHEAP!! I didn't do it. The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant ragged on me about it for days after that about how stupid it was not to buy the Super Bowl tickets THEN!.....She was right.......I was wrong!.....AS ALWAYS! 🤦

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just in case anybody else was wondering...........

The CLEVELAND BROWNS:
    The Browns were founded in 1946 and, as the result of a fan contest to choose their moniker, were named after their first head coach, Paul Brown, who was already a popular figure in Ohio, having coached the Ohio State University to a national collegiate football championship.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

So we could have been the Minnesota Van Brocklins?

• Options

@Hydrant said:

from the beginning. I can't think of any other team that has a name with roots like the 49ers.

Well of course there are the lions that have been roaming the streets of Detroit for centuries

m

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

from the beginning. I can't think of any other team that has a name with roots like the 49ers.

Maybe the New England Patriots ? That goes back to the late 1700's ... and the Vikings perhaps go back that far with the Scandinavian Settlers.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Patriots and 49’ers are absolutely perfect for the team representing history of the city/state

Arizona “Rattlers” would be a great football name

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patriots is perfect. And this upcoming season we should be seeing Pat Patriot back on the helmet for one game.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cowboys? Horsemen would be more accurate. They rode Horses.....not cows.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2022 1:23PM

@perkdog said:
    The Patriots and 49’ers are absolutely perfect for the team representing history of the city/state

Arizona “Rattlers” would be a great football name

Even the Scorpions would better then a wimpy bird that would instantly combust mid air on a 115 degree day in Arizona

Why does the Sports Forum have to solve all the worlds problems

m

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Well, isn't this where the world's great thinkers meet up?

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's like a daily illuminati convention up in here

• Options
    edited February 15, 2022 2:04PM

@AFLfan said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

When we are called upon to solve problems that don't exist it can be rather exhausting

• Options

OK this Arizona thing has me tilting.

Arizona Diamondbacks ( awesome name)
    Phoenix Suns ( excellent name)
    Arizona Coyotes ( super name)
    Arizona State Sun Devils ( nice)
    Arizona Wildcats ( a little lazy but Ok)

Arizona Cardinals = weak cabbage

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    OK this Arizona thing has me tilting.

Arizona Diamondbacks ( awesome name)
    Phoenix Suns ( excellent name)
    Arizona Coyotes ( super name)
    Arizona State Sun Devils ( nice)
    Arizona Wildcats ( a little lazy but Ok)

Arizona Cardinals = weak cabbage

Sparky is the perfect mascot too.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Hydrant said:
    Landry, I think that Texas team that plays in Dallas has a pr

@AFLfan said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!!😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I will never refer to the Washington football team as anything but the Redskins.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cardinal = v. Weak

Green unis with a coiled up Mojave Green on the jersey.
    If you ever have come into the vicinity of a Green, you back away slowly. Immediately.

Have a nice day