doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

What sports opinion do you have that often results in this:

Comments

• Options

Cam Newton

• Options

Come on, let's hear those unpopular opinions people!

• Options

Come on, don't be frightened!

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent question DD! As a Cowboys fan I have been, from day 1, a HUGE Dak Prescott supporter and still believe he will one day win a Lombardi for us. With that said, I know many fellow Cowboy fans who have trashed the guy since we drafted him and it seems like that trashing group has grown exponentially the way this season ended. But I am with Dak still and believe he's our guy no matter how much trashing I take over it.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:
    Excellent question DD! As a Cowboys fan I have been, from day 1, a HUGE Dak Prescott supporter and still believe he will one day win a Lombardi for us. With that said, I know many fellow Cowboy fans who have trashed the guy since we drafted him and it seems like that trashing group has grown exponentially the way this season ended. But I am with Dak still and believe he's our guy no matter how much trashing I take over it.

Excellent post, I confess, I also believe Dak will bring the Cowboys a Super Bowl. That's right, I said it, Dak will lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl victory. Now everyone back off, I would hate to have to get rough up in here!

• Options

My opinion of Colin Kaepernick. If I mention his name on Craigslist my post will get pulled immediately. Probably because Craigslist orginates in San Francisco and anything even slightly negative about him is viewed as hate speech to those guys. Pretty pathetic, actually.

• Options

I am a huge supporter of Pete Rose getting into the HOF which is not a popular take with many folks.

• Options

I think Hines Ward should be in the Hall of Fame. Back away, don't make me get physical!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm... it's not a popular opinion (although not the outlier that it was when I first started banging the drum) when I point out how overrated Mike Trout is. He's great when it matters least, like a guy that can consistently stack red chips on the $5 blackjack table. He walks over to High Limit, where nothing's changed but the color of the chips, and he gets wiped out every time. The pressure obviously gets to Trout in the big moments. He freezes up and takes waaay too many called third strikes when any kind of contact is likely a positive for his team. He's a defensive liability. Mark Gubicza is one of my favorite Royals ever, but it's just annoying listening to him gush about Trout on the Angels broadcasts. I mean, Goobie played with George Brett, so you'd think he would know what real greatness looks like, and recognize that it's not Mike Trout. I could go on...

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eric Dickerson........he really racked up the yardage in meaningless games......crunch time?....... A BIG NOTHING!......

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Pitchers should only pitch and not bat - seem odd to have different rules for different leagues. Can you imagine the NFL doing that? "oh by the way, since you're a quarterback in the AFC, you have to play linebacker or d-back - which one do you want?".

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright, first three I thought of:

• the targeting rule in college football is an excellent rule.
    • Vin Scully is overrated
    • So is Bobby Orr
  • Options

@VikingDude said:
    Pitchers should only pitch and not bat - seem odd to have different rules for different leagues. Can you imagine the NFL doing that? "oh by the way, since you're a quarterback in the AFC, you have to play linebacker or d-back - which one do you want?".

Can you imagine the NBA swapping out Dennis Rodman at halfcourt so someone else can shoot on his behalf?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2022 1:03AM

Soccer is my second favorite sport and the World Cup my favorite Sporting event. The last two World Cups I saw every minute of every match

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2022 1:25AM

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Soccer is my second favorite sport and the World Cup my favorite Sporting event. The last two World Cups I saw every minute of every match

m

Having the most-watched sporting event as your favorite isn't exactly an unpopular opinion though.

• Options
    edited February 13, 2022 2:45AM

@Tabe said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Having the most-watched sporting event as your favorite isn't exactly an unpopular opinion though.

On this forum it is for sure. I don't think too many Americans would list soccer as their second sport. I don't many that that frequent this forum cares much about the rest of the world and the World Cup. There are like 400 football threads to every soccer thread. Of course a few from the football threads do show up and fell obligated to mention how much they hate soccer.

m

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

i dont like college athletics. I cant stand march madness and I want to enjoy college football, but I just cant.

I think it is because usually the players only stay with a school for 1-3 years, I just get no continuity. just constant turnover of players.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark it's you, me, ussoccer and I think 1 other here that like the soccer. 2 weeks until the ATLUnited home opener!

• Options

I very much prefer toploaders over card savers.

• Options

I do not believe that sniping an auction "saves" you money.

• Options

The eBay Standard Envelope is a terrible way to ship cards.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady is the GOAT

I hate the NY Giants and Yankees

Barry Sanders is the GOAT RB

Colin Kap is a fraud and I can’t stand him

Barry Bonds was the best HR hitter ever

This is my list

• Options

I believe it is mostly a waste of money to pay a premium for FASC designated 80s Donruss wax vs just the regular BBCE Donruss wax box authentication. Anyone that's ripped any significant amount of Donruss should know that the collation was wonky straight from the factory. FASC doesn't guarantee you anything over just a regular authenticated wax box, if you decide to rip. Fleer, however, is completely at the other end of the spectrum. Their collation was as predictable as the sunrise, and easily cherry picked.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

I have two complete sets in penny sleeves and card savers, 1975 and 1978 topps baseball.

• Options

This might be unpopular, I don't know.
    I don't understand the people who say they don't watch the NFL anymore since the kneeling
    for the national anthem started. I have two co workers who are among those people.
    I say why didn't you quit watching when you found out OJ was a murderer?

• Options

So is Bobby Orr

Bobby Orr overrated? Bobby Orr changed the way the game was played. Before Orr, defensive players played defense. Orr changed alll that and bettered the game. His bad knees killed his career at age 27, but what a career it was...

https://espn.com/sportscentury/features/00016391.html

• Options

A lot of people think the 1971 topps bb set is the best looking set of the decade.
    Tom Matchick and many of his friends with the dark, no team logo cap or uniform disagree.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gene Tenace was better than Jim Rice.

Ken Anderson is the GOAT.

Emmitt Smith was a good RB, but he was not great.

Bobby Orr was the GOAT.

Michael Jordan is overrated.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Tom Brady is the GOAT

I hate the NY Giants and Yankees

Barry Sanders is the GOAT RB

Colin Kap is a fraud and I can’t stand him

Barry Bonds was the best HR hitter ever

This is my list

perkdog, I would say your first 3 on the list are not unpopular, many people would agree with them.
    But as far as Barry Bonds, I would say Hank Aaron is the best HR hitter ever.

Bonds belongs more with a list of Marvel comics characters like the Thing and the Hulk, people who
    were hit with so much gamma radiation or steroids that it deforms them into something that is no
    longer 100% human. In Bonds' case the result was sasquatch like strength and a cranium that
    smaller objects orbit around. But I think when discussing the best HR hitter of all time it should
    be confined to just human beings.
    Of course if the HR hitter list in the future has an asterisk that states hybrid mutant humans' are
    eligible then of course Bonds is Number 1. Until then Hank Aaron is the best human HR hitter.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    i dont like college athletics. I cant stand march madness and I want to enjoy college football, but I just cant.

I think it is because usually the players only stay with a school for 1-3 years, I just get no continuity. just constant turnover of players.

I am the complete opposite. I would rather watch college (not sure how this will end with the NIL for college athletes) and hope the professional leagues would go away.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Darin said:

@countdouglas said:

I have two complete sets in penny sleeves and card savers, 1975 and 1978 topps baseball.

I love that 78 set Darin. Was the first cards I collected as a 10 year old. I probably had a dozen of that Murray rc, oh what I would do to turn back time and actually care and save those cards back then! I have recently begun to re-collect that 78 set putting them in card savers but not penny savers.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    Alright, first three I thought of:

• the targeting rule in college football is an excellent rule.
    • Vin Scully is overrated
    • So is Bobby Orr

Seeing Bobby Orr play many times I would definitely say he is not over rated.

• Options

In the long history of baseball, there are countless instances of guys sliding in hard to second and jarring the ball loose on the attempted tag, or the violent collisions at the plate where the runner bowls over the catcher hoping to shake the ball loose and score the run. I have never understood what it was that A-Rod did wrong when he casually slapped the ball out of Arroyo's glove. I mean, if the fielder isn't going to protect the ball any better than that, then the runner should do whatever he can to knock it loose and be safe.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm for the roid boys as some folks call them getting in HOF.
    Armstrongs TdF titles should stay.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh geez where to start

• Options
    edited February 13, 2022 3:03PM

@MisterTim1962 said:

So is Bobby Orr

Bobby Orr overrated? Bobby Orr changed the way the game was played. Before Orr, defensive players played defense. Orr changed alll that and bettered the game. His bad knees killed his career at age 27, but what a career it was...

https://espn.com/sportscentury/features/00016391.html

Definitely overrated. He's often called the best or second-best player ever. Not a chance. Drop him into a modern lineup and he's an All-Star but nothing more. He dominated by virtue of being a very good skater in era when hardly anyone could skate and the goaltending was abysmal. There are 50 guys who would outskate him now and there are basically no bad skaters today.

p.s. the real #1 would actually be Mario

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect the answer would be easier as well as shorter if the question was simply reversed... popular opinions?

So... the good news is that there is no need for me to continue... count your blessings

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rose 👍
    Bonds 👍
    Rodgers. 👍👍

Have a nice day
  • Options

Definitely overrated. He's often called the best or second-best player ever. Not a chance. Drop him into a modern lineup and he's an All-Star but nothing more. He dominated by virtue of being a very good skater in era when hardly anyone could skate and the goaltending was abysmal. There are 50 guys who would outskate him now and there are basically no bad skaters today.

Bitter Red Wings fan...

• Options

I hate the movie 'Field of dreams'.
    So these guys have been dead 50+ years and they're still wearing their baseball uniforms?
    That's just sad. :(

• Options

@MisterTim1962 said:

Bitter Red Wings fan...

Definitely not bitter. But at least you admitted with your lack of detail that you couldn't refute my point. Appreciate you agreeing with me - thanks!

• Options

@Tabe said:

Definitely not bitter. But at least you admitted with your lack of detail that you couldn't refute my point. Appreciate you agreeing with me - thanks!

Bobby Orr was, by more or less unanimous decree, the very best player in the NHL at at time when Phil Esposito, Bobby Clarke, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Rob Gilbert, and so on and so on were at the peaks of their careers. Your "point" is essentially that it is not possible for anyone who happened to play in the 1960s - 1970s to actually be great. I don't think it is reasonable to expect anyone to refute a "point" that is contrary to all known facts, and is therefore self-refuting. The onus for providing evidence is on the person making the absurd statement. I would not, for example, expect you to devote your time to refuting someone who claimed there was a colony of Martians gathering on the dark side of the moon waiting to invade Earth. That's not quite as absurd as what you said about Orr, but you get my point.

• Options
    edited February 14, 2022 1:06AM

@dallasactuary said:

@Tabe said:

Bobby Orr was, by more or less unanimous decree, the very best player in the NHL at at time when Phil Esposito, Bobby Clarke, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Rob Gilbert, and so on and so on were at the peaks of their careers. Your "point" is essentially that it is not possible for anyone who happened to play in the 1960s - 1970s to actually be great. I don't think it is reasonable to expect anyone to refute a "point" that is contrary to all known facts, and is therefore self-refuting. The onus for providing evidence is on the person making the absurd statement. I would not, for example, expect you to devote your time to refuting someone who claimed there was a colony of Martians gathering on the dark side of the moon waiting to invade Earth. That's not quite as absurd as what you said about Orr, but you get my point.

I very clearly made the point that he dominated because of his skating. It is irrefutable that skating back then was pretty terrible, relatively. Just watch some video - the level of skating is very low, which allows a good skater like Orr to stand out far more than he would in a league with guys full of guys who skate well. It's also irrefutable that goaltending is better now.

Do you think there's any possible chance Orr would lead the league in scoring now? Have a +100 now? Of course not.

Orr was a tremendous player - I just don't think he's in the conversation for greatest ever, thus overrated.

• Options

Orr was a tremendous player - I just don't think he's in the conversation for greatest ever, thus overrated.

Did you ever see him play? Watch some old footage in his prime. It looks like the other players are standing still and watching him in awe. He changed the way the game was played, period. That in itself is reason to call him the GOAT in hockey.

• Options
    edited February 14, 2022 9:20AM

@MisterTim1962 said:

It looks like the other players are standing still

Yeah, you kinda just made my point.

• Options

@Darin said:
    I hate the movie 'Field of dreams'.
    So these guys have been dead 50+ years and they're still wearing their baseball uniforms?
    That's just sad. :(

They invented washing machines you know!

• Options

@MisterTim1962 said:

Did you ever see him play? Watch some old footage in his prime. It looks like the other players are standing still and watching him in awe. He changed the way the game was played, period. That in itself is reason to call him the GOAT in hockey.

Most of you were not around when he was playing so did not have the advantage of watching. I am fortunate enough to have watched him back then. It was a different era back then.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

Michael Jordan is overrated.

Wow about you thinking Jordan was overrated?

I’m not trying to argue with you here, I’m just sincerely curious as to what your reason/s are if you don’t mind saying.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    Do you think there's any possible chance Orr would lead the league in scoring now? Have a +100 now? Of course not.

We are having the having the same conversation that I had several years ago with skinpinch about Babe Ruth. The argument that he made, and that you are now repeating with regard to Orr, is that because the quality of competition was lower in one era than in another era, it is not possible for the GOAT to come from the lower-quality era. That argument fails completely as a matter of logic. Of course it's possible for the GOAT to have played at any time for any team. Identifying that the quality of competition was lower is one - just one of many - fact to consider when constructing the context in which you are evaluating that player. But that's where your argument both begins and ends, and that's why it fails.

Assume that the GOAT did play in the 60's/70's. What would his stats look like? If the GOAT happened to be a defenseman, wouldn't his stats look pretty much like Orr's? If not, what would they look like? And why do you think that? The answers to these questions are yours to provide, but it is the answers to these questions that will add up to a valid argument.