Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP! First time I've purchased a coin with a pedigree...

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 10, 2022 7:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

1976-D IKE Variety 1 / D.L. Hansen Collection

I placed what I assumed was a low bid price and won!! B)

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats @massscrew

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody loves a social climber. Nice Ike in great condition. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrDarryl said:
    Some pedigree examples in my collection ...
    POTUS gifting letter of a FDOi 1964-P Kennedy half dollar and Discovery bag 1964-D Kennedy half dollar.

Anyone with a provenance example (unbroken full-chain of ownership from the US Mint and famous person in the chain to you)?

Wouldn't any coin bought directly from the US Mint with a receipt meet this criterion?
    Your coin and that letter are really neat. Presidential signatures are very popular with autograph collectors so this appeals to two different hobbies. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 coins with the best pedigree, from the Crazyhounddog Collection. Fireproof!
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2022 3:22PM

@BryceM said:
    OK, first, really nice Ike. The coin is what really matters, after all.

The value of a coin's "pedigree" or provenance can sometimes produce some lively discussion. To be clear, I really love what Hansen is doing and I'm impressed by the quality of his ever-growing collection. The hobby really needs some collectors like that.

That said, this particular pedigree turns me off a little. Maybe it's the sentiment that it's one of his cast-offs. The provenance will carry much more weight someday long after he's done. For now, I consider this particular holder to be a negative. If I did buy one, I'd probably get it into a new generic holder pretty quickly.

The ones that are meaningful to me are from people I've met or from collections I really admire. A Jack Lee Peace dollar would be something special to own. I used to own a Barber quarter from the late Dale Friend - that sort of thing.

This one is from our dearly departed Bear (Abe). God rest his soul, and may he find an eternity of jelly donuts.

Well.. that was one of my next questions: keep it in the holder, or have it re-holdered... I see that he has NUMEROUS sets. You're probably right that this is one of his "cast offs," but all the same, for me, it's a beautiful coin and the price was right. Decisions, decisions...

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, don't read too much into what I'm saying. The coin stands on its own and looks to be fabulous. I think for the most part D. Hansen is buying the right sort of coins and most of his "castoffs" are pretty darn nice. I just don't think this particular label, at this point in time, adds anything.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm happy to buy his castoffs since I'm not in his league.

He must have felt the coin was a nice coin for the grade until a better one came along. And I'm glad he is not holding on to everything; thereby, shrinking the number of coins available in the marketplace. However, I think in the long run, Hansen is cheapening his "brand" by labeling coins that he has upgraded.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Well, don't read too much into what I'm saying. The coin stands on its own and looks to be fabulous. I think for the most part D. Hansen is buying the right sort of coins and most of his "castoffs" are pretty darn nice. I just don't think this particular label, at this point in time, adds anything.

I never assumed the label added anything. My point was that I got this COIN at a lower bid than I expected judging by past auction prices. The label really had absolutely nothing to do with why I bid on it. My post above was only to say that it is my first pedigree coin, nothing more... thanks for your insight.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats @massscrew

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

With DLH being a partner in David Lawrence Rare Coins and the number of pedigreed coins in the market I have to wonder if these are really a personal collection anymore...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

These IKEs in PCGS 66 are getting tougher to find.. at least in some dates. I'm having a hard time finding a 78-D which I didn't expect to be tough to find..

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the pedigree coin. All my provenances are from hoards (2 or 3).
    I'd like a pedigree coin one day, really just to say I have one. Like the hoard coins, it's more history and info, and another example of what's out there (kind of like type collecting slabs or anything else).
    Regardless of the holder, I like your Ike, too. Nice pick up.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2022 10:06PM

While I am not sure that a coin owned by a modern living person actually creates a "pedigree" it is cool to see shared a coin that was valued by a contemporary great collector.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2022 10:59PM

Very nice Ike! Congratulations!

I've been collecting pedigree coins (or rather, coins with a traceable provenance) for several years. I like the connection to the person, the history, and the stories that are often associated with them. Living or dead; good person or bad person...doesn't matter to me. First and foremost, of course, the coin has to be something I want in my collection. I have several coins that do not have a pedigree. But if I can get a nice coin that also has a pedigree, I think that's an extra special bonus. Here are a few of my pedigree coins:

This Goodacre Sac is from the Q. David Bowers Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file