Home Q & A Forum
Options

How does a fingerprint end up on the reverse of a penny packaged at the Denver mint ?

I purchased a uncirculated 1974 mint set and was looking at the coins and found a thumbprint/fingerprint of some sort on the reverse of the 1974 D penny the coin is still in the original ( I assume ) packaging is that common ?

Answers

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint worker touched it?

• Options

Okay touched it
    But with what ?
    Ink ?

• Options

• Options

Maybe dried blood ?

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure all mint employees are fingerprinted when hired. Should be easy to match against the fingerprint database to see who the culprit is. Then you are one step closer to getting the true answer.

• Options

Thank you for your input
    Just wanted to know why the mint would allow something like that out the door

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either grease on their finger, or very aggressive contaminants that turned the fingerprint black.

It is possible that it did not look like that when new.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It didn't look like that when it left the mint. In fact, it may not have been visible. Over time, the oils from the fingerprint darkened as they slowly reacted with the copper. Now it has permanently stained and etched the coin

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

So does this lessen the worth of the mint set ?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would venture to say yes. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Edchildress said:
    So does this lessen the worth of the mint set ?

Would have to go with a decrease in the mint sets value.
    Fingerprints are a hard sell.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never underestimate the incompetence of a lazy government employee ( i was going to say worker, but worker and government are impossible to use back to back).

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members