Home Sports Talk

Tom Brady doesn't rule out a possible return

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The GOAT says "never say never."

Tom Brady: 'Never say never' about possible return

Just when you thought the drama about whether Tom Brady’s NFL career was done, the GOAT left the window open a crack about a possible return.

The NFL legend retired last week and went on the “Let’s Go” podcast Monday and suggested one never knows, does one?

“I’m just going to take things as they come. I think that’s the best way to put it, and I don’t think anything, you know, you never say never,” Brady told Jim Gray on their “Let’s Go!” podcast Monday. “At the same time, I know that … I feel very good about my decision. I don’t know how I’ll feel six months from now.

“I try to make the best possible decision I can in the moment, which I did this last week. And, again, I think it’s not looking to reverse course. I’m definitely not looking to do that. But in the same time, I think you have to be realistic that you never know what challenges there are going to be in life. Again, I loved playing. I’m looking forward to doing things other than playing. That’s as honest as I can be with you there.”

Brady used a horse racing analogy to sum the situation. More fascinating thoughts from the GOAT.

“I’ve been to the Kentucky Derby a lot. So I look at those horses and they have the blinders on and you literally are just running full speed as fast as you can for basically the entire season, and there’s no time to look right or left,” Brady said. “And there’s a lot of things that are happening in your life that, because you don’t look right or left, you’re still looking straight ahead, that you miss some things.

“There just comes a time for all of us where we’ve got to decide what we want to look [at] going forward. I can always look at the past and look at all the teams we’ve had and all the success and stuff and the amazing relationships and all the great teammates. I’ve seen so many great players retire over the years.”

Brady remains under contract to the Buccaneers for the upcoming season.

Comments

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭

I hope he plays another year.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2022 11:12AM

I think he's retiring to calm Gisele down, I think he'll go horseback riding with Gisele just to get her off of his back, let the heat die down, and then make his return in 2023!

I remember when Aaron Rodgers showed up at the Kentucky Derby and stood on the balcony in his sunglasses, he looked like an undercover cop there to arrest somebody. He thinks he's so cool.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stop it Tom.

Don’t say your retiring if your not, I can’t stand it when people do that. Not just in sports either, my boss has been saying it for 2 years now. Not to mention all the people at the jail I worked at saying they were going to retire and are still there

edited February 8, 2022 12:54PM

I remember Brett Favre did this for years, he would retire and then comeback again, I think he retired about 6 times, and I still don't know if he's officially retired. He looks ripped these days, I think he could still play.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

stop playing with my emotions tommy

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were Tom Brady and had what he has, I would vanish and live a wonderful life with my family. He got lucky and walked away healthy and in one piece after 22 years.

It only takes one 300 pound hit to become paralyzed...ask Darryl Stingley!

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Stop it Tom.

Not to mention all the people at the jail I worked at saying they were going to retire and are still there

Yup, I saw my fair share of those in the Fed Government making 6 figures, sitting around collecting dust, with so many lower level managers under them to keep things smooth, while they just kicked back and walked around in their 3-piece suit trying to look important, going to mindless meetings. When I asked them if they considered retiring, the most popular response was "what would I do". Crazy, but true...after 35++ years, how in hell could you not have a plan of some sort??

Of course, getting 6 weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid Federal Holidays, 2 weeks of paid sick leave, 2 hour+ lunches, hard to give up I guess. I couldn't wait to scrape the sticker off my car and hand in my badge...almost 20 years ago and never looked back! Direct deposit like a Swiss watch.

I know you know that feeling. B)B)

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has he really even left to the extent one can call it a return?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he stays out for a year or more, he'd be a fool to come back. Age was catching up to him this season. He was not as sharp with his passing as he has been in the past.

I think that he might have been effective for one more year, but that would have been it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

I wish Tom would stop messing with our heads, it reminds me of my younger days, before I was married, when I would be drunk and the alcohol would make things appear different from what they really are.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:
    Stop it Tom.

Not to mention all the people at the jail I worked at saying they were going to retire and are still there

Yup, I saw my fair share of those in the Fed Government making 6 figures, sitting around collecting dust, with so many lower level managers under them to keep things smooth, while they just kicked back and walked around in their 3-piece suit trying to look important, going to mindless meetings. When I asked them if they considered retiring, the most popular response was "what would I do". Crazy, but true...after 35++ years, how in hell could you not have a plan of some sort??

Of course, getting 6 weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid Federal Holidays, 2 weeks of paid sick leave, 2 hour+ lunches, hard to give up I guess. I couldn't wait to scrape the sticker off my car and hand in my badge...almost 20 years ago and never looked back! Direct deposit like a Swiss watch.

I know you know that feeling. B)B)

👍🏼👍🏼🍻

Don't take retirement advice from your pets Tom, they'll take you to the cleaners!

edited February 8, 2022 5:06PM

Damn beer goggles, I was young and ignorant!

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh please, time for him to move on to other things so it is just talk................

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is probably just his way of dealing with the fact that he really wants to keep playing. Even though he will not play again, leaving that door open makes him feel like he could.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

please make it stop

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

stop playing with my emotions tommy

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

All depends on how cold it is outside at closing time..........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"