Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have Gun Will Travel episode: Ben Jalisco. Coin related.

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yesterday while watching an episode titled: "Ben Jalisco" there is an interesting scene at the beggining of the episode just after the opening credits. Paladin is playing poker. At the end of the game he flips a quarter onto the deck of cards. It lands on the reverse. It clearly shows the reverse of a Wash. quarter. The eagle clearly visible. Since this show is circa 1900's, pre 1932 the debut date of the Wash. piece, it would could not be possible to have that coin at that time. The continuity department missed the boat here. Anyone else ever notice this in that episode? If not look for it next time. This observation may have been reported here in the past.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had not heard that blooper before.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Had not heard that blooper before.

The scene showing the coin lingers but a few seconds but it is clearly visible.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting observation.... I believe other instances have been reported here, but I do not recall that one. I liked that program when it was on... that was a long time ago. Do not watch much TV anymore, but maybe check for that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2022 8:31AM

I have seen Saints on Gunsmoke. That was way before Saints. Roosevelt’s on Bonanza too. I suppose they thought no one was paying attention.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Have Gun Will Travel" had some unusual episodes with stories far from the range of the usual "Westerns".

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the prop man said "Just show it face down so nobody can see the date!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a woman who shops for movie props when they are shooting in town. We are always very careful to get only time proper currency for the movie. Lots of fun working with her and hearing some of the stories.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2022 8:59AM

Have Gun Will Travel - Ben Jalisco pictures:

Paladin (on right) playing cards and betting his last quarter

Quarter on the table

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least it is a circulated one.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wire Paladin. San Francisco ... and let him know about the problem.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    At least it is a circulated one.

Actually, it's quite worn and it's unlikely it even has a date on the obverse.. The prop man probably believed it was a George Washington coin from the 1870s.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Wire Paladin. San Francisco ... and let him know about the problem.

FYI:

They always started with 'Wire Paladin'.

Nope, not a telegram.

His first name was Wire.

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file