Home Sports Talk

What originally brought you to CU?

LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect 1958 Topps graded baseball cards along with various rookie cards of different sports and have, for years, gone to the PSA website as a resource of information. A little over a year ago I was exploring the PSA website and I came across the CU forums. I especially like this sports forum, there are some awesome folks on here that are so full of knowledge! I am so glad I found this forum. My wife always asks me who's this Double Dragon character that you talk about? lol

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking for a boxing card one day, and I typed the name of the card into the Google search box and as it turned out, the card I was looking for had been mentioned on this website and the Google search results brought this website up, so I clicked on it and it brought me here and it was only a matter of time before I found the sports talk forum. This place has been a lot of fun, I've been a member of the forum since 2019. I spend so much time here, I decided to go ahead and move in, it's true, I actually live right underneath the Collectors Universe logo at the top of the page, if you look hard enough you can see me sitting in my recliner right now!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting coins since I was a little boy. Found the forum one day and liked it. I was a "lurker" for a few years.....then.....I jumped in...lots of fun since then!

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine told me about CU last year, so I joined to interact with him as he lives in NY. Long story short, He got banned for pushing his luck with political crap and here I am! B)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

numismatics, they said this was the place to be. Maybe..............

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2022 5:26PM

@spacehayduke said:
    numismatics, they said this was the place to be. Maybe..............

They? were right. Gotta' get more to come over! This is the Place to Be!......Just keep it cool boys.....no reason to get banned.....KEEP IT COOL! Have fun!

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2022 7:58PM

@LandrysFedora

When I first came here, I was two cards shy of completion on my namesake set and had almost no hope left. The set is very tough. It’s not at all hard to start the set but when it comes time to find Jack Kramer, Phil Rizzuto, Ben Hogan or Betty Schalow it’s a waiting game to put it mildly. So, when I say CU was instrumental in the story of the set that is putting it mildly. I’ve told the stories at length (my sig line details most/all in detail) but the short version:

For one card, a seller quite literally saw my thread, and sent me a delicious email with very little text and this attachment, figuring a picture would be a thousand words:

When after I woke back up about ten minutes later, I put on some dry pants, haggled, overpaid, shipped to Newport Beach and boom! Scooter!

That left one card. I’d seen two prior over a lifetime of collecting. I missed one that I found as a sold listing - that one made me aware of its existence and made it so I’d know what to look for…numero dos was a little beat up and I underestimated it’s market. Three was one that I found and was kindly tipped off to by a CU all time star and it was too pretty to pass on:

Now, to date this is still the only graded Jack Kramer…

…which makes this set the only complete one ever assembled in PSA slabs…

…and suffice it to say I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that the sets most populous and sought after card of all, by far, also happens to be the one that started my pursuit of this magnificent set in the first place:

After all these many years of collecting, I do believe it still to be the crown jewel of all my Yankee treasures…

…that is how I got here and why I’ve remained - because the people are great and so are the cards!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was on the old version, built a Don West fan site for his card selling shop at home shenanigans and came here and ngc/cgc boards a lot. Mindspring/Earthlink decided to delete the webspace/site I've had since 1994 last year or so or I'd link it up here.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @LandrysFedora

When I first came here, I was two cards shy of completion on my namesake set and had almost no hope left. The set is very tough. It’s not at all hard to start the set but when it comes time to find Jack Kramer, Phil Rizzuto, Ben Hogan or Betty Schalow it’s a waiting game to put it mildly. So, when I say CU was instrumental in the story of the set is putting it mildly. I’ve told the stories at length (my sig line details most/all) but the short versio:

For one card, a seller quite literally saw my thread, and sent me a delicious email with very little text and this attachment, figuring a picture would be a thousand words:

When after I woke back up about ten minutes later, I put on some dry pants, haggled, overpaid, shipped to Newport Beach and boom! Scooter!

That left one card. I’d seen two prior over a lifetime of collecting. I missed one that I found as a sold listing - that one made me aware of its existence and made it so I’d know what to look for…numero dos was a little beat up and I underestimated it’s market. Three was one that I found and was kindly tipped off to by a CU all time star and it was too pretty to pass on:

Now, to date this is still the only graded Jack Kramer…

…which makes this set the only complete one ever assembled in PSA slabs…

…and suffice it to say I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that the sets most populous and sought after card of all, by far, also happens to be the one that started my pursuit of this magnificent set in the first place:

After all these many years of collecting, it believe it still to be the crown jewel of all my Yankee treasures…

That is tremendous! Thanks for sharing that! What a collection, priceless!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Came for coins, numismatics, stayed for Sports Talk

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was randomly google searching for sportscard websites and happened upon CU. this would have been around 2010 or so i believe. I lurked for 3 years I think before i actually joined. i think I joined in 2013.

I originally spent most of my time on the trading card side. it was a lot more active years ago. many BBCE breaks I loved following. that doesnt really happen anymore. I spend most of my time over here now.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.