Home Sports Talk

Albert Pujols says Barry Bonds is the best ever

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty interesting story.

Albert Pujols on Barry Bonds, Hall of Fame: 'The best player ever'

Slugger Albert Pujols didn't hold back in saying that to him Barry Bonds is the best MLB player he's ever seen.

Barry Bonds has been a major topic of conversation over the past month. Things reached a new level when the all-time home run king wasn't elected into the Hall of Fame. Bonds' biggest fans were hoping he'd make it to Cooperstown – though he still can via the Today's Game ballot in December.

It's been discussed ever since, but Bonds' controversial past appears, for now, to have kept him out of the Hall. With that said, that doesn't mean that players don't have an unreal amount of respect for him. Just ask Albert Pujols about that.

Albert Pujols paid the ultimate respect to Barry Bonds

While Pujols admitted that he hasn't gotten to know Bonds the way he has with guys like David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, Pedro Martinez and others, he didn't hesitate in saying Bonds is the best player he's ever seen.

With his unreal power, Bonds indeed is No. 1 on the list for most homers in an MLB career. No one will forget that magical season where he broke Mark McGwire's record and smashed 73 dingers too. Folks in San Francisco had never felt so alive, with Bonds beautiful swing of the bat providing them with some unreal memories.

For Pujols, he was able to enjoy the show Bonds put on, while also being able to spend some time with him at MLB All-Star Games as well. They got to know each other then, while Pujols said the two would catch up whenever the Cardinals and Giants would face off as well. Pujols himself will go down as one of the best hitters of his generation. For him, though, Bonds is no doubt his king of the game.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

And Lance Armstrong was the best cyclist I ever saw.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked Lewis Blacks joke/statement he made about Armstrong....if doping makes you better why are we not all doping. Something like that anyway.

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

His wife says that too

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do we really care what Pujols thinks?

I think Bonds wasted a lot of talent and went the drug route. Cost him immortality in the HOF (for what that's worth).

"You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take, or a class you can go to" _
    Ron White

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Lance actually probably is, and Barry Bonds is the best baseball player ever I agree with Pujols (I'm Giants fan so of course I back him).

I watched every minute of every one of Lance's tour wins while live on the television. That is 100s of hours of intense viewing over 7 years each July. I saw every epic moment. No one since has had his panache (and only a few before like Hinault, Lemond and Merkcx) and feel for when to strike and when to lay cool. He also knew how to suffer. He admitted to taking PEDs but he had to take very small doses not to be caught so who knows if they actually helped. My Belgian friend who ran the Tour doping tests during the Lance era told me they knew he was taking because it looked like his blood was being designed - levels for key products were always just below positive, and that changed year to year. Every single person who was on the Tour podium in those 7 years have been found to be doping as well. All of the big names in the past were doping, all of them are now. It is just the way it is in sports like this that are so difficult.

Sadly, only the American system and people will destroy a competitive athlete once he/she is caught. Euro countries worship their known dopers like Verinque, Contador, Riis, because they know the truth. You can't be competitive in this hard sport if all of the others are doping and you are not.

Same with Barry, they were all doing it, there is no such thing as clean sport at the highest level. You either do it or you can't stay competitive bc the others will do it. So folks don't watch if you are a purist.

Who was it who said 'if you are not cheating you are not trying hard enough'?

Best, SH

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that's what ALBERT says then it must be true.... who am I to argue with ALBERT?.......Question: Who the hell is ALBERT PUJOLS?.....I've never heard of him.......HELP!

edited February 2, 2022 9:18PM

@Hydrant said:
    If that's what ALBERT says then it must be true.... who am I to argue with ALBERT?.......Question: Who the hell is ALBERT PUJOLS?.....I've never heard of him.......HELP!

679 HR's, 2150 RBI's, .297 Ave

3x MVP, 10 time AS, ROY

Mostly with STL. Some with the Angels. Finished last season with the Dodgers

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@spacehayduke said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Who was it who said 'if you are not cheating you are not trying hard enough'?

Best, SH

Probably a cheater

m

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pujols is of course correct. I've been saying the same thing since I watched him play for Pittsburgh.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Bonds and Pujols are all-time players and both are legit top 20. Pujols has a shot at 700 home runs if the season can start on time and someone needs to sign him of course. The Machine was pretty amazing with the Cardinals. In 11 years, Albert was .328/.420/.617 at the plate with 445 home runs. His time in SoCal was a big disappointment.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Babe Ruth could both pitch and hit. He gets my vote.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Berry Bonds … The best player steroids could create.

Hank Aaron got there honestly. Ditto for Willie Mays.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bonds & Mays

The only players I ever saw that froze the spectators. Bonds and Mays, 100% the stands were silenced.

Honorable mention:
    Reggie
    McCovey

Have a nice day
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw Willie Mays play live a couple of times at the old Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia. He ran around in outfield like he was on rails. One of the Phillie players hit a “blue darter” that looked like it was going to be a gaper. Mays caught up with it like it was a routine play.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ruth had the "steroids" of his day, hot dogs and beer. Bonds was a good player,
    But I would never mention him in the same sentence with Ruth, Aaron, Mays
    or Williams.